Looking For Info On A Pilot Pen

buras12

No biggy. I never buy from the pen shops were I live around. (I just test the pens and leave... :unsure: )

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buras12

• AL01

• stan

• mke

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.amazon.com/PILOT-DELUXE-Urushi-Black-nib/dp/B001AX7T0A

$ 101.66 ain't too bad. Have you looked at the Elite 95S? Comparable nib; much cheaper; and made to write for hours on end.

But this pen does look nice. I have just never seen it in real life...

Here's a Review: https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/3pd5on/pilot_deluxe_urushi_review/

I think reviews and pics will help ya out the most. Pilot pens are quite good. So you shouldn't have any surprises...

(IE: Lamy 2000 on the web looks to be bigger than real life.)

I wish you luck with your purchase... Al.

Thanks for the search. I found this pen too and the price is certainly right, but i loved the designs f the pens i linked too and this only has the nice lacquer.

Elite 95s has a beautiful nib, but i find the proportions of the pen itself pretty weird.

It is probably a heresy, but i actually played with Lamy 2000 and didn't like it at all...

All these options make the life tough

Thanks for the search. I found this pen too and the price is certainly right, but i loved the designs f the pens i linked too and this only has the nice lacquer.

Elite 95s has a beautiful nib, but i find the proportions of the pen itself pretty weird.

It is probably a heresy, but i actually played with Lamy 2000 and didn't like it at all...

All these options make the life tough

I saw some vintage Customs with inlaid nibs on the Pirate Bay.

Believe or not, I also played with a 2K today....

I didn't like it much...

The 95S is a much better... It looks weird, but it fits a hand wonderfully.

Any other ways... I cant think of anythin' else. (yacouldlookataSilvernyaknow. :P )

You saw that amazon.com has it in stock? LINK

Thanks, i saw that. The problem is that i'm trying to stay within the budget. It is $100 above the black-and-silver Carene which i really like

Any other ways... I cant think of anythin' else. (yacouldlookataSilvernyaknow. :P )

Keep Silvern out of it :( It is so perfect and so beyond the budget

It is kinda tempting, but i am looking for a daily writer, not a collectible. Which means a choice between a new one (Carene) or a 40 year old pen.

Hey! :P

Them vin'age Pilots are DAAAANNG durable.

They are as durable, (if not more durable), than Esterbrooks.

Nonetheless, I understand yer concerns.

Do look for a Carene in Classifieds.... It won't empty ya' wallet.

(I have held it before... Feels fantastic. Don't know about writing though.)

As can be seen in my avatar, I have the segaiha version of this pen. It is ebonite with makie urushi finish. I do not recall fully but if correct, the fittings are silver. This is my first "true" fountain pen and has been my daily carry for the four years I have had it. Excellent pen.

As can be seen in my avatar, I have the segaiha version of this pen. It is ebonite with makie urushi finish. I do not recall fully but if correct, the fittings are silver. This is my first "true" fountain pen and has been my daily carry for the four years I have had it. Excellent pen.

A beautiful pen

How about the Custom? It has the same nib as the Silvern.

Vintage Pilot pens are quite durable.

It's in ya budget.

LINK: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=pilot+custom&_dcat=73537&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4

Well, i ended up buying a 70's Custom on EBay that looks pretty good in the images. Hope i did not make a mistake.

Now i've got a converter question: there are different CON-20 flavors on EBay:

There quite a few different items that differ only in an index in their names and all cost around $4. Here are 3 for example: X5RG, SWTG, HYSG.

They are sold by different merchants, but all seem to have the same descriptions. I guess that they are compatible with Pilot pens, but not original.

And then this one (original?) costs 4 times higher

What are the differences and what should i buy?

Thanks

Edited by buras12

Buy a CON - 40.

Should be safe for ya.

I wish ya luck.

Please lemme know how the Custom goes...

• 3 weeks later...

Buy a CON - 40.

Should be safe for ya.

I wish ya luck.

Please lemme know how the Custom goes...

Saw your message too late, ordered a CON-20. Still waiting for it to arrive.

The pen is here though and it's gorgeous. Arrived in a great state as advertised by the seller. Since the converter hasn't arrived yet, i first used the ink cartridge that came with the pen. Lots of heart ache with that one. The pen wrote very dry and suffered from a very bad case of hard starting. I eventually washed it thoroughly and refilled the cartridge with a Pelican ink i got from a coworker. All the issues seem to be gone now. I ordered a bottle of Noodler's black.

I never thought of an ink cartridge going bad. Could it be the case with the old one i got with the pen?

fpn_1499932594__img_20170713_104030.jpg

Saw your message too late, ordered a CON-20. Still waiting for it to arrive.

The pen is here though and it's gorgeous. Arrived in a great state as advertised by the seller. Since the converter hasn't arrived yet, i first used the ink cartridge that came with the pen. Lots of heart ache with that one. The pen wrote very dry and suffered from a very bad case of hard starting. I eventually washed it thoroughly and refilled the cartridge with a Pelican ink i got from a coworker. All the issues seem to be gone now. I ordered a bottle of Noodler's black.

I never thought of an ink cartridge going bad. Could it be the case with the old one i got with the pen?

fpn_1499932594__img_20170713_104030.jpg

Glad that you like the looks and feel of the pen. It is quite possible that your ink flow problems were not a ink problem but that the feed of the pen was not fully saturated. Sometimes that takes a while if you plug in a cartridge instead of filling from a bottle. Seems that you have solved that problem.

This pen looks to be in mint condition, good for you. I use a con-20 in mine without any problems. I should mention that my pen, and most of the Pilot fine point pens I have, write on the dry side, which is my preference. Hope you are not disappointed.

The pen is nearly mint and I don't mind the odd scratch. I will be using it for years to come, so pristine looks are unimportant.

I bought a medium nib, so it's wet enough, though drier than my previous pen. I enjoy the writing, so that's what counts :-)

It was probably that the pen wasn't properly cleaned.

Just cleaning the pen and flossing the tines with those strippy thingies from a DVD case will help a lot.

Pilot pens kick soo much @$$!

I'm happy ya likes it!

Al.

Nice that you got it working. I love the looks of that particular class of Pilot nibs and the Silvern which also has it has long been one of my Grail pens. (I seem to have this peculiar preference for non standard looking nibs in general).

I also have a question for AL01. Just what is going on with you and Sarah Jane? I really want to know but the man on the corner said you'd prefer to keep it dark, so I suspect there will be no reply at all coming from you. He also told me that "Like it or not, but I've heard some rumours about her and that lurker Dodo being involved with you-know-what. This whole affair is turning into some kind of who dunnit". If this is true, that might be another mark on her record.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Nice that you got it working. I love the looks of that particular class of Pilot nibs and the Silvern which also has it has long been one of my Grail pens. (I seem to have this peculiar preference for non standard looking nibs in general).

The Silvern is what I'd buy if money weren't an issue. As it is, I got the Custom for $75 + shipping, though I was willing to spend more. More expensive pens will wait till my 3 kids will grow up :-)

I also have a question for AL01. Just what is going on with you and Sarah Jane? I really want to know but the man on the corner said you'd prefer to keep it dark, so I suspect there will be no reply at all coming from you. He also told me that "Like it or not, but I've heard some rumours about her and that lurker Dodo being involved with you-know-what. This whole affair is turning into some kind of who dunnit". If this is true, that might be another mark on her record.

I'm just trying to Sell England By the Pound by making a few bucks of off Nursery Crymes - if ya know what I meen.

:P