Date This Vac?

eugenebeauxbuton

Hey there!

So I just snagged this Parker Vacumatic pen/pencil set. It seems to have an imprint of 'Made in Canada' (I knew when I read that the nib had great flex that this was probably the case) and a Speedline Filler along with a Blue Jewel Clip.

Would you guys be so kind as to help me narrow down the year of this thing? I'm pretty sure 1939-1941 but would love to know for sure.

Also what do you know about the 'Active Service' deal? Was that program only for active-duty military personnel? How did Parker market that etc.? Also this would lead me to think 1940/1941.

I've included the photos that I have and I should have it in my grubby hands later this week...

post-1727-0-87291800-1496686014.png

post-1727-0-62455700-1496686020.png

post-1727-0-80076400-1496686025.png

post-1727-0-08349400-1496686031_thumb.png

Edited by eugenebeauxbuton

Current Collection:

1922 BCHR Waterman No. 52

1941 Parker Vacumatic Major (Canada)

1946 Parker Vacumatic Major (U.S.)

1957/8 Parker Duofold Maxima (U.K.)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eugenebeauxbuton

• Freddy

• mitto

• AL01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go to richardspens.com and look up 'Parker's Date Coding System' in search. To the right of the engraving on the pen barrel you will find a number and a dot or dots. The number gives you the year and the dots give you the quarter that the pen was manufactured. I assume the same system would have been used on both Canadian and U.S. manufactured pens.

Edited by linearM

I zoomed in at 200% and there is a 1 with no dots..therefore a 4th Quarter 1941......

Everything is correct...speedline filler...two-tone nib...double jewel...in Golden pearl celluloid....Nice.

If you measure...you can determine..Major or Maxima....size....

Fred

Go to richardspens.com and look up 'Parker's Date Coding System' in search. To the right of the engraving on the pen barrel you will find a number and a dot or dots. The number gives you the year and the dots give you the quarter that the pen was manufactured. I assume the same system would have been used on both Canadian and U.S. manufactured pens.

Now that is a damn good resource... I'll see what that's all about.

I zoomed in at 200% and there is a 1 with no dots..therefore a 4th Quarter 1941......

Everything is correct...speedline filler...two-tone nib...double jewel...in Golden pearl celluloid....Nice.

If you measure...you can determine..Major or Maxima....size....

Fred

Fred!! Thank you. And yes was happy to see that all is as it should be here.

Can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for the help guys!

Current Collection:

Fred!! Thank you. And yes was happy to see that all is as it should be here.

Can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for the help guys!

My pleasure..and when you get it up and running..if you don't mind a photograph

or scan of a writing sample. Again..nice pen and congratulations.

Fred

My pleasure..and when you get it up and running..if you don't mind a photograph

or scan of a writing sample. Again..nice pen and congratulations.

Fred

Of course... Just have some Waterman's on order since I heard that the Bulletproof Black from Noodler's I have can stain ink windows and also gunk up sacs (I also have a 1957/58 UK Duofold Maxima and am worried that might be happening).

As soon as I have both, I'll try my best to utilize the more-flexible-than-US-variants Canadian nib!

Current Collection:

Of course... Just have some Waterman's on order since I heard that the Bulletproof Black from Noodler's I have can stain ink windows and also gunk up sacs (I also have a 1957/58 UK Duofold Maxima and am worried that might be happening).

As soon as I have both, I'll try my best to utilize the more-flexible-than-US-variants Canadian nib!

Thanks....Look forward .............

Fred

Is the pouch made by Parker?

Yes it appears to be the case as it's an "Active Service Set", something that Parker did for servicemen at one time or another.

This was the first that I had seen of anything like this.

Current Collection:

Yes it appears to be the case as it's an "Active Service Set", something that Parker did for servicemen at one time or another.

This was the first that I had seen of anything like this.

I asked because I picked up two 51s a few adays ago along with a two pens vintage black pure leather pouch with PARKER and the arrow logo embossed on it. Mines is almost the same shape but with separate slots for each the two pens. The pouch is very beatiful. I am so very pleased using it for the two of my plum 51s.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I asked because I picked up two 51s a few adays ago along with a two pens vintage black pure leather pouch with PARKER and the arrow logo embossed on it. Mines is almost the same shape but with separate slots for each the two pens. The pouch is very beatiful. I am so very pleased using it for the two of my plum 51s.

PICS PLZ! Sounds lovely.

Current Collection:

"Also what do you know about the 'Active Service' deal? Was that program only for active-duty military personnel? How did Parker market that etc.? Also this would lead me to think 1940/1941."

Canadian advertisements featured the Vacumatic {unlike U.S. which used the "51"}

and emphasized a patriotic theme which highlighted the company's commitment

to WW ll.

The following is from a Canadian advertisement during WW ll:

The Parker Active Service Set.

A Parker Pen and Pencil in a neat leather case

to fit the tunic pocket.

{Picture with set in embossed leather case}

Prices from $5.75 to $15.00

Source: VACUMATIC:

G.Parker, D. Shepherd, D. Zazove

Fred

Edited by Freddy

Edited by Freddy

That pouch is DEFINITELY from the 40s. I own a quink bottle from the 40s that has the same logo.

That pouch is DEFINITELY from the 40s. I own a quink bottle from the 40s that has the same logo.

Wow! That's really cool....a bottle with 'Parker Active Service Set' label.....

When you have the time would you put up an image of your bottle?

Thank you for your consideration.....

Fred

"Also what do you know about the 'Active Service' deal? Was that program only for active-duty military personnel? How did Parker market that etc.? Also this would lead me to think 1940/1941."

Canadian advertisements featured the Vacumatic {unlike U.S. which used the "51"}

and emphasized a patriotic theme which highlighted the company's commitment

to WW ll.

The following is from a Canadian advertisement during WW ll:

The Parker Active Service Set.

A Parker Pen and Pencil in a neat leather case

to fit the tunic pocket.

{Picture with set in embossed leather case}

Prices from $5.75 to $15.00

Source: VACUMATIC:

G.Parker, D. Shepherd, D. Zazove

Fred

Fred! Thank you for that. Interesting how they mention how it would fit the tunic pocket... I was just reading about pens made for the service in WWI etc. that had special clips so that they sat low in the pocket. Interesting how Parker didn't do that here/for the "Active Service" sets.

Appreciate the further sleuthing :-)

Current Collection:

The Parker pens' clips were set on almost the top of the caps. There was no margin to further move the clips upward on parker pens of the time - the Vacumatics and 51s included.

Khan M. Ilyas

Wow! That's really cool....a bottle with 'Parker Active Service Set' label.....

When you have the time would you put up an image of your bottle?

Thank you for your consideration.....

Fred

I will. But it doesn't have a Active Service Set label. I was just talking about the logo (The Parker Logo.). I will put an image up. (It's in English and Spanish.... {The bottle} I put some Noodler's black in there. :P )

Edited by AL01