ErrantSmudge

Monteverde's revamped line of inks recently got my attention for their comprehensive lineup of clear, distinct hues, as well as good value. A 90ml bottle can be had for about $13-$15 USD from the better known online retailers in the United States, making it a very good deal.
Monteverde touts their "ITF Technology". From Monteverde's promotional material, here's how it claims to benefit us writers:

Fountain Pen Ink with ITF™ Technology
  • Ink Treatment Formula
  • Improves Ink Flow
  • Extends Cap-off Time
  • Lubricates Feeding System
  • Improves Ink Drying Time

Monteverde Green
Monteverde Green is Monteverde's brand color, in ink form.
I have searched the FPN review archives for this ink, and have found some reviews of a much lighter/brighter green than the one currently sold. I am assuming Monteverde has reformulated this ink, so this review is of the current offering of their "standard" green.
Color
Monteverde Green is a nice dark green ink, suitable for more formal writing, journaling, or where a high amount of contrast and legibility is desired. In terms of hue, it is very much a foresty green.
Clairefontaine paper, Lamy Safari F nib
fpn_1489523220__montverde_green.jpg
Shading and Sheening
Monteverde Green is not much of a shader or a sheener in this test with Tomoe River paper. There is some shading evident, but Diamine Sherwood is a similar color which offers much more shading.
Tomoe River paper
fpn_1496619560__mv_green_shade_sheen.jpg
Flow
Flow is about medium; this doesn't seem to be a very dry nor a very wet ink.
Lubrication
Again, this ink hits about the middle; the pen doesn't glide over the page, but it is by no means toothy.
Dry Time
Dry Time for Monteverde Green is fairly quick on Clairefontaine paper, about 20 seconds. On 20 lb. copy paper, dry time is a little over 20 seconds.
20 lb. copy paper
fpn_1496619550__mv_green_dry_time_copy.j
Feathering
Feathering is minimal on 20 lb. copy paper. On a cheap office pad, there is a mild amount of feathering, especially at the ends of strokes where ink collects.
TOPS "Docket" office pad
fpn_1496619742__mv_green_showthrough_fro
20 lb. copy paper
fpn_1496619588__mv_green_showthrough_cop
Bleedthrough
There is no bleedthrough on 20 lb. copy paper, but there is showthrough. On a cheap office pad, bleedthrough is moderate, but enough so to make the back side of the page unusable.
TOPS "Docket" office pad
fpn_1496619573__mv_green_showthrough_bac
20 lb. copy paper
fpn_1496619581__mv_green_showthrough_cop
Water Resistance
Monteverde Green does not have much water resistance. It practically all washed away in the 10-second immersion test. Noodler's Heart of Darkness, a waterproof ink, is used as a control.
Clairefontaine paper
fpn_1496619609__mv_water_resistance_befo
fpn_1496619599__mv_water_resistance_afte
Comparison With Other Inks
Monteverde Green is in the center, surrounded by several other noteworthy green inks.
20 lb. copy paper
fpn_1496619540__mv_green_comparison.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ErrantSmudge

• lgsoltek

• antichresis

• ManofKent

Thank you for the review! It looks quite close to Diamine Evergreen or Green-Black, I think. They are what you can classify as "bottle green", no?

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Great review.

I'm not a fan of bottle greens, but I don't find this unpleasant (unlike the Sherwood greens). The Sailor and R&K samples are much more to my taste though.

Thank you for the review! It looks quite close to Diamine Evergreen or Green-Black, I think. They are what you can classify as "bottle green", no?

Yes, I think Monteverde Green does qualify as a "bottle green". The scanner did a good job this time capturing the colors; on my screen they're fairly accurate. Sadly I don't have any darker greens like Evergreen or Green-Black to compare it with.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Great review! It isn't really a color I need right now, though.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Great review, ErrantSmudge! I compared it with KWZI Green #3 and they are quite similar.

BTW have you received the CRV sheets I sent back to you?

Oh, I'm sorry! I forgot all about the CRV you sent back to me for this review! Thank you for reminding me. Of course I received them. I'll get the others posted soon.

Tomoe River Paper

fpn_1496717655__mv_green_lgsoltek_crv.jp

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Oh, I'm sorry! I forgot all about the CRV you sent back to me for this review! Thank you for reminding me. Of course I received them. I'll get the others posted soon.

Tomoe River Paper

fpn_1496717655__mv_green_lgsoltek_crv.jp

Great! I was afraid it might be lost.

Some of the inks look quite similar, don't they?

I love it. I miss green bottles.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY