Any Other High Quality Ink For Use In A Waterman Out There?

C-InPenmanship

Hello,

I'm new around here but not new to the world of fountain pens. I own two Waterman pens, a red & gold Hemisphere and another that was bought as "New Old Stock" called a School pen which has a plastic body and a 27k gold nib (I know, 27? Who ever heard of 27k?). I only use Waterman ink in these two pens as after reading every sentence of the literature that came with my Hemisphere I learned that to use any other ink would void my warranty. It's a good thing I read that because my pen stopped writing vertical lines not long after I bought it and I had to send it in for repairs. They replaced the entire front of the pen.

Anyway, my point: My pen is now out of warranty and I'd like some suggestions on some high-quality inks I can use in my Waterman without any problems. I'm specifically looking for pink, but all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• mmg122

• HalloweenHJB

• eharriett

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to move your request for info over to Inky Thoughts. I think you'll get a lot of suggestions. If I may, check out the link in the signature below. Choose a pink that captures your interest and read the reviews. Finally, SAMPLES are your friend.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Like Amber says, get some samples to try. Go to Anderson Pens and/or Vanness pens to get some samples. If you're concerned about the way an ink will react to your pen, I'd also recommend you get a cheap "burner" pen to try the ink and see how it reacts (Jinhao pens are fantastic for testing inks. Cost about $7-$10 and will give you a fantastic look at how a pen will react to an ink).

Some will say don't use Noodler's inks. That is not correct, in my opinion. SOME Noodler's inks will behave badly. Others are as mild as your Waterman inks. I keep Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black in my beloved Sheaffer Snorkel and it is as good as any Waterman ink in terms of behavior.

But again, samples. Find some colors that look interesting and try them out. Samples from either of those two vendors should give you almost half a dozen fills. More than enough to try them out.

I'm going to move your request for info over to Inky Thoughts. I think you'll get a lot of suggestions. If I may, check out the link in the signature below. Choose a pink that captures your interest and read the reviews. Finally, SAMPLES are your friend.

+1

Additionally, I agree with eharriett...Noodlers makes some awesome pinks...Fruit Cactus Eel, Ottoman Rose and Shah's Rose come to mind.

Edited by mmg122

I'm a huge fan of pink inks and my favorite is not a true pink, but it's really tough to get nowadays, King Phillips Requiem. Short of that, let me say again, I love pinks and start with samples. I have also found that I love Momiji which is supposed to be red and Tsutsuji and Kosmos by Iroshizuku.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

A very nice GJentle pink is Sailor's Sakura-mori (Cherry Blossom) that is well behaved and not too dry. In my experience, many pink inks can often be dry inks (ie., the flow is not as smooth as one might wish).

For a richer, more intense pink, you might try Iroshizuku's Tsutsuji (Azalea). As everyone says, look for samples before committing to a full bottle!

112% gold ? It's a new standard of purity !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

112% gold ? It's a new standard of purity !

I came in here to ask/say more along this!

That nib is worth more than its weight in gold, har har.

Odd, as only one company makes 21k nibs to have it be a 'typo' and that's not Watermans. And nobody I know makes any gold content for nibs ending in 7, be it 17k or 7k (why bother with 7k?)

You will want to get samples, as there are a LOT of pink and pinkish inks.

Some may be attractive to you, and other not so.

You will also need to CLEAN the pen very well between samples, as pink being a light color can be distorted by any remaining old ink in the pen.

BTW, my wife has 3 different pens with 3 different pink inks, as she can't decide which ONE looks best.

N-joy the sampling, as that is a fun process.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com