Broken Cap On Platinum Preppy

wd7512

I know its probably not worth it since its such a cheap pen haha, however I live in the UK and it can take weeks for another one to arrive of amazon. I was wondering if is anything I can do about the cap being broken so much that the pen might as well not have a cap, so that I can still use it for a few weeks as its a pen I bring and use everywhere?

post-137079-0-59952500-1496499017_thumb.jpg

Edited by wd7512

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wd7512

• FarmBoy

• AltecGreen

• Flounder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could patch it with Stycast 2850. It would look like bird poop but it would seal. You can get it on Amazon...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You could patch it with Stycast 2850. It would look like bird poop but it would seal. You can get it on Amazon...

Stycast 1266 would be a better choice since it is clear. You would have to deal with the extremely low viscosity of 1266 version 2850. Either would be stronger than the plastic the Preppy is made from.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Stycast 1266 would be a better choice since it is clear. You would have to deal with the extremely low viscosity of 1266 version 2850. Either would be stronger than the plastic the Preppy is made from.

All true but they have black 2850 in the Physics Stockroom, they get it in bulk at I think it runs around 25 a package...not much more than a Preppy costs.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I prefer to get both in the can form. It's easier to pour when you are making a large quantity. I would agree that 2850 is a better choice if you need to dissipate heat.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

I prefer to get both in the can form. It's easier to pour when you are making a large quantity. I would agree that 2850 is a better choice if you need to dissipate heat.

The cans are nice but I can't use it fast enough and it starts to get that crust on the top. Not to mention the cans are a bit pricy when I only need to repair a single part and need just a bit.

I'm thinking we could just make a new cap completely from Stycast and shove the clip in as it sets. Doubt it would ever break.

I'm sorry, I am unfamiliar with stycast and I also searched it up on amazon and couldnt find it, could someone please explain how I would use it?post-137079-0-90773800-1496569896_thumb.png

Henkel Loctite is another name for stycast.

"Henkel Loctite STYCAST 1266 Clear, formerly Emerson and Cuming, is a two component, room temperature curing, epoxy encapsulant that is used for bonding lenses, glass, plastics, metal, and display embedments. It offers low viscosity and good visibility, electrical properties, impact strength, and moisture resistance."

You said, you are going to exchange your pen anyway - so just try any expoxy superglue for plastics.

Henkel Loctite is another name for stycast.

"Henkel Loctite STYCAST 1266 Clear, formerly Emerson and Cuming, is a two component, room temperature curing, epoxy encapsulant that is used for bonding lenses, glass, plastics, metal, and display embedments. It offers low viscosity and good visibility, electrical properties, impact strength, and moisture resistance."

You said, you are going to exchange your pen anyway - so just try any expoxy superglue for plastics.

ok Thanks!

Just so's you know: cultpens have preppies at less than 3GBP, and I've yet to have an order not come the day after ordering.

:)

Just so's you know: cultpens have preppies at less than 3GBP, and I've yet to have an order not come the day after ordering.

Wow. That is a lot less than the epoxy...less than the postage even.

Wow i didn't know this. Thanks, I think this solves my issue!

Ah yes, Preppies at less than £3. Then you add the postage. But hey, you say, for an expenditure of £10 I can get free postage. I'll just add...

And then your troubles begin.

;)

(Currently waiting on a CP order that inexplicably went over £20. :huh: )

Wow i didn't know this. Thanks, I think this solves my issue!

Almost - you've still to put you old one up on eBay, "RaRe old ink pen not *Montblanc* *Sailor* *Sheaffer* lightly uzd excellent cond,"

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Almost - you've still to put you old one up on eBay, "RaRe old ink pen not *Montblanc* *Sailor* *Sheaffer* lightly uzd excellent cond,"

haha

If it should move, but doesn't, apply WD-40. If it moves, but shouldn't, apply ductape.

Every home should have both. By the way, the cap of my TWSBI Diamond 540 is wrapped 90% with ductape, since I stepped on it. I still love the pen.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Ah yes, Preppies at less than £3. Then you add the postage. But hey, you say, for an expenditure of £10 I can get free postage. I'll just add...

And then your troubles begin.

;)

(Currently waiting on a CP order that inexplicably went over £20. :huh: )

I have similar troubles. ;)

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Do you have Duck tape in the UK ? You could just patch it with a pattern or color you like to hold you over. Or if you have a 3D printer you could have some fun trying to print out a new cap.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Do you have Duck tape in the UK ? You could just patch it with a pattern or color you like to hold you over. Or if you have a 3D printer you could have some fun trying to print out a new cap.

I was thinking about that, but the problem is if you look at the picture there is a bit of plastic missing which means it won't be that secure