Sheaffer Targa Or Karas Kustoms Ink

3nding

I am currently hesitating between two pens: a Karas Kustoms Ink with a fine gold Buck nib, black anodised section and tumbled raw aluminium or polished aluminium barrel or Sheaffer Targa silver or black with a gold nib also. Both are metal c/c pens and both come in the same price range (unless you look at the really expensive Targas). One is more classic, the other is more modern. One is slimmer and lighter the other is chunky and heavy without being Jinhao 159-kind of heavy.

What I am looking for is a pen that I will love to carry around without fear of dropping it and destroying the finish, that will be fun to write with for extended periods of time without getting cramps (I would say I have basketball-grabbing sized hands), that will be fun to look at, even in 5 years time, and that will, obviously be rugged.

To give you an idea of the size of pens I like, I really enjoy writing with my MB 146. It feels just perfect in my hand in terms of weight and size, whereas my Sheaffer Balance (500), as much as I like it, sometimes feels a bit on the small side of things. Strangely enough, considering what I just said, my Estie J feels perfectly adequate in terms of size and weight. On the opposite hand of the spectrum, my Jinhao 159 is nice but just too heavy to be fun to use for any extended period of time.

Given all of this, which pen would you guys choose? What is your take on this?

Edited by 3nding

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3nding

• amberleadavis

• ParkerDuofold

• mitto

Hi 3nding,

I don't want to sound like a broken record around here, but when you gave the description of the type of pen you're seeking; you pretty much recited the Lamy 2000's resume.

It may not be as flashy as the Targa; rather, it exudes a quiet elegance and I don't know if you can drive over it like a Karas Kustom, but I've dropped my L2K all over the place and it's held up beautifully.

I think you should look into an L2K; in all seriousness, I don't think you can do much better... especially for the price.

- Anthony

EDIT, PS: That said, if I can't sell you on the L2K; go with the Targa, they're good pens... and nice specimens are getting harder to come by, so grab one while you still can. ;)

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hi 3nding,

I don't want to sound like a broken record around here, but when you gave the description of the type of pen you're seeking; you pretty much recited the Lamy 2000's resume.

It may not be as flashy as the Targa; rather, it exudes a quiet elegance and I don't know if you can drive over it like a Karas Kustom, but I've dropped my L2K all over the place and it's held up beautifully.

I think you should look into an L2K; in all seriousness, I don't think you can do much better... especially for the price.

- Anthony

EDIT, PS: That said, if I can't sell you on the L2K; go with the Targa, they're good pens... and nice specimens are getting harder to come by, so grab one while you still can. ;)

It's true that the Lamy 2k really seems like a nice pen and fits most of my description but I am really looking for a cartridge converter for long periods of note taking where I can just pop in cartridge if I run out of ink. Also, I am not sure if the looks of the Lamy 2k are quite my cup of tea, although it has been growing on me recently!

Thanks for the suggestions ParkerDuofold I will definitely keep it in mind! :)

Edited by 3nding

It's true that the Lamy 2k really seems like a nice pen and fits most of my description but I am really looking for a cartridge converter for long periods of note taking where I can just pop in cartridge if I run out of ink. Also, I am not sure if the looks of the Lamy 2k are quite my cup of tea, although it has been growing on me recently!

Thanks for the suggestions ParkerDuofold I will definitely keep it in mind! :)

Hi 3nding,

I understand completely and thank you for getting back to me. There are other pens raved and swooned over here at FPN and all I can ever hear are crickets chirping... no pen, no matter how popular it may be, can appeal to everyone.

No harm; no foul. :)

I hope you make the right decision and find the pen that'll really ring your chimes. :thumbup:

- Anthony

+1 on the Targa.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have two Karas Kustoms Ink and like them both. One is copper and weighs a a lot. The second one is violet. Both write well. I have no reservation about recommending them. For me, they are locally made which is important.

I have no experience with the Targa.

Well, hmm.... I own both. My daily use on my desk pen is a Sheaffer with a BB nib that has been stubbed.

The pen that I carry with me outside of the office is a Karas. I rarely use the Targa. Even for my small hands (but I have Flinstone style digits), the Targa is too slim. Lamy aggravates me so I've never acquired a 2000. I can, however, tell you that I have more than a handful of Karas and I LOVE my Karas. I also like giving my business to a shop that is a small business. The team at Karas are amazing folks, and the designer, Dan Bishop is a terrific artist.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hi 3nding,

I understand completely and thank you for getting back to me. There are other pens raved and swooned over here at FPN and all I can ever hear are crickets chirping... no pen, no matter how popular it may be, can appeal to everyone.

No harm; no foul. :)

I hope you make the right decision and find the pen that'll really ring your chimes. :thumbup:

- Anthony

Hi Anthony,

It is my pleasure and privilege to be able to receive well thought and well formulated from people that are more experienced and informed with fountains than myself that are kind enough to take the time to explain share such knowledge with complete strangers over the internet. The least I can do is respond in a timely manner in order to thank you! :)

I feel like the quest for my "perfect" pen might be a never ending one, but I enjoy the journey.

Have a good day!

I have two Karas Kustoms Ink and like them both. One is copper and weighs a a lot. The second one is violet. Both write well. I have no reservation about recommending them. For me, they are locally made which is important.

I have no experience with the Targa.

I tried one Karas Kustoms Ink and really enjoy the way it wrote and it's size, but I was a bit worried about it maybe being too heavy for prolonged writing sessions. What has your experience been with that?

Well, hmm.... I own both. My daily use on my desk pen is a Sheaffer with a BB nib that has been stubbed.

The pen that I carry with me outside of the office is a Karas. I rarely use the Targa. Even for my small hands (but I have Flinstone style digits), the Targa is too slim. Lamy aggravates me so I've never acquired a 2000. I can, however, tell you that I have more than a handful of Karas and I LOVE my Karas. I also like giving my business to a shop that is a small business. The team at Karas are amazing folks, and the designer, Dan Bishop is a terrific artist.

At the point where you grip the pen, to which other pen would you compare the girth (I don't know if asking this properly so just in case here's a fallback attempt: because girth is no constant along the entire length of the open, especially near to and along the section, the Targa seems to be more constant than most other pens, so while it's radius is listed as being 11.4 mm, which I would consider small according to my standards, it doesn't to get much smaller than maybe 9-9.5 mm whereas other pens might go from 14.5 mm at their largest to somewhere around 9.5 at the section.)

The Karas doesn't post so it isn't as heavy when you are writing. It's much bigger at the grip section. Just eye balling it, the girth of the grip reminds me of an Esterbrook J. The Targa section is just too small for me.

Here is a size chart that might help you make a comparison.

https://www.vintagepens.com/pen_measurements.shtml

Sheaffer Targa 13.6 cm long 11.4 mm diameter

Compared to the Ink

THE NUMBERS
  • Length Capped: 5.4288″ (137.80 mm)
  • Length Uncapped (fountain pen): 4.9330″ (125.30 mm)
  • Length Uncapped (rollerball): 4.7965″ (121.83 mm)
  • Length Posted: 6.9″ (175 mm)
  • Section Length: 0.8360″ (21.23 mm)
  • Section Diameter (near nib): 0.4135″ (10.50 mm)
  • Section Diameter (below threads): 0.4130″ (10.49 mm)
  • Section Diameter (mid-section): 0.3730″ (9.47 mm)
  • Cap Diameter: 0.5785″ (14.61 mm)
  • Barrel Diameter: 0.5785″ (14.61 mm) The barrel is tapered.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I noticed this thread when it began. . .

I own several Targas, plus a Karas Ink and a Fountain-K. Oh yeah, and a Lamy 2000 too!

The Targa is more refined, and most of them have lovely nibs. My sterling silver Targa with 14K F nib is one of my top favorite fountain pens of all time. The steel nibs are also good. However. . . The Targa does dry out when left sitting idle for days at a time, so that's a nuisance in practical terms.

The Karas pens are perhaps a bit clunky in comparison with the elegant Targa, but they're tough, practical, dependable. They seal up tight when the cap is screwed on, they never seem to dry out. And you can buy them new-with-warranty and your choice of finish and nib, which isn't really true of Targas for a long time now!

The little Fountain-K is a very nifty pen to carry everywhere, as long as you use cartridges. I found mine has some burping issues when I use a converter and fill it from the bottle. (Also, I had to use threadlock compound to keep the pocket clip from coming loose!) The Karas Ink has a larger ink collector and works just fine with its converter.

Lamy 2000? Yes, I have one of those too. IMHO its nib is nice but not as nice as the Targa, and it doesn't seal up any better when left capped. Also, I dislike its pocket clip's sharp edges and minimal clearance.

• 2 months later...

I wonder what the OP ended up choosing??????

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not coming back to the thread sooner! I ended up getting the Karas Kustoms with a fine palladium nib and really really enjoy it. What made me chose it in the end is that I realised I really preferred my thicker pens, like my MB 146 to my "thinner" ones like my Sheaffer Balance 500. My only complaint is that it is so much of a gusher that even Pelikan Black bleeds through and feathers a lot if I am not using something like Rhodia or Clairfontaine paper. Other than that, it has really become my carry everywhere/use for everything pen. :D

Thank you all for your contributions, it really helped me decide between those two beautiful specimens! :P

Edited by 3nding

Don't forget, you can switch out the nib.

Thank you for getting back to us.