Parker Im Vs Parker Frontier

mmonsters

Hi all..I'd like to get someone a FP as a gift but I can't decide between Parker IM & Frontier. Firstly, I choose Parker specifically as it's rather widely available at my place compared to other brands, plus I quite like the simple yet not too plasticky look of their pens. My budget is ~$30. From my search, I've narrowed down to 2 options: IM & Frontier.

Between the two, I much prefer the design & look of the IM but many reviews suggested the Frontier as a good, reliable starter pen for someone new to FP. Or maybe IM just lacks reviews as I couldn't find as many as Frontier's. Some commented the small nib of the IM, but I'm not sure how does that really affect writing performance. Usage wise, it won't be for heavy writing. Hence, I'm looking for something that works just nice as a gift, yet practical for some light writing.

Thanks in advance for your views! :)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mmonsters

• mitto

• Mike 59

• swanjun

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Frontier is much better pen than the IM.

Secondly, the newer production IM has somewhat bigger nib. In any case it now does not have the small narrow Vector nib.

Khan M. Ilyas

Secondly, the newer production IM has somewhat bigger nib. In any case it now does not have the small narrow Vector nib.

I see..If not mistaken, the one I saw recently was quite narrow, probably an old stock then. Tq for the info.

Hi, I have both types, I prefer the 'Frontier'.

It's possible to buy the Frontier with a steel barrel, but I'm not sure if that would be in your price limit, but worth searching for.

Edited by Mike 59

I have both and also prefer the Frontier. It seemed to me that ink evaporated quickly out of the IM.

Hi, I have both types, I prefer the 'Frontier'.

It's possible to buy the Frontier with a steel barrel, but I'm not sure if that would be in your price limit, but worth searching for.

Yes, for Frontier, I'm considering the stainless steel GT one..slightly more expensive but within $30.. Anyway, do you mind sharing why you prefer the Frontier over IM? Edited by mmonsters

I have both and also prefer the Frontier. It seemed to me that ink evaporated quickly out of the IM.

Read somewhere before that some IMs tend to have this issue due to the small hole on the cap. Is that the case?

A couple months ago I bought 5 NOS Frontier flighter GTs for $16 each. It was in a clearance sale at a local store. Recently bought another used flighter for $9.

Khan M. Ilyas

Hi, The Frontier is a much lighter pen than the I.M, it has a far better finger grip, it's a balanced pen in the hand.

The nib is of conventional shape, and very similar to the Parker Sonnet.

My version has a medium nib, and is so smooth to write with, really one of my better buys over the years.

Overall, the 'Frontier' is a very 'normal' design, nothing jumps out about it, but it works very well.

A couple months ago I bought 5 NOS Frontier flighter GTs for $16 each. It was in a clearance sale at a local store. Recently bought another used flighter for $9.

Yes, it's around ~$15 each. Saw a black matte one as well, but not sure if it's made of steel, is it?

Hi, The Frontier is a much lighter pen than the I.M, it has a far better finger grip, it's a balanced pen in the hand.

The nib is of conventional shape, and very similar to the Parker Sonnet.

My version has a medium nib, and is so smooth to write with, really one of my better buys over the years.

Overall, the 'Frontier' is a very 'normal' design, nothing jumps out about it, but it works very well.

Thanks for the view, Mike59. Does the rubberish grip wear off after a while? Yes, the Frontier design is pretty 'normal', thus for a gift I prefer the design of IM, but performance wise Frontier seems to have more good reviews.

The vector stainless steel seems nice too, but I read reviews that say they're quite scratchy.

post-136997-0-14049200-1496198958_thumb.jpg

Well, I have to second (almost) all opinions stated above... I have an IM, and it stays in my pen case all the time, unused and uninked. I don't like it at all, and I'm considering selling it again, to make room for other pens.
The frontier was one of the first pens I bought, and by now I have three: A black one, a blue/black one, and a flighter, and I will probably buy other colours too, if I find them at the right price. I love them very much, and at the moment there are not one, but two frontiers in my rotation. They might be among the favourites in my collection. Good, solid, dependable writers every time, with a smooth, consistent, wet nib, and they fell good in my hand. Really, I can barely express how much I love them.

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

Thanks for the view, Mike59. Does the rubberish grip wear off after a while? Yes, the Frontier design is pretty 'normal', thus for a gift I prefer the design of IM, but performance wise Frontier seems to have more good reviews.

The vector stainless steel seems nice too, but I read reviews that say they're quite scratchy. attachicon.gifIMG_7419.JPG

When the rubberish grip wears off just scrap it away and a shiny plastic grip section appears. I have done this with a few of my Frintiers. Once you do that you would be tempted to remove the rubberish thingy even from your brand new Frontiers.

The Vector you show are india made/luxor distributed ones. Look for one either nade in USA or UK or France. The nibss on those are way better and give better performance.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

What's the main difference between the India made/Luxor distributed Parker pens and those made in UK/US? There are quite a number of NOS flighter frontier in eBay too, but I guess they are mostly India made.

Well, I have to second (almost) all opinions stated above... I have an IM, and it stays in my pen case all the time, unused and uninked. I don't like it at all, and I'm considering selling it again, to make room for other pens.

The frontier was one of the first pens I bought, and by now I have three: A black one, a blue/black one, and a flighter, and I will probably buy other colours too, if I find them at the right price. I love them very much, and at the moment there are not one, but two frontiers in my rotation. They might be among the favourites in my collection. Good, solid, dependable writers every time, with a smooth, consistent, wet nib, and they fell good in my hand. Really, I can barely express how much I love them.

Thanks for your view, Lexus77. Clearly you really love the Frontier, but may I know what is it about the IM that you dont like?

UK made ones are readily available at least here.

Frontier is quite difficult to find at local shops here. IM, Vector, Urban, Sonnet are the common ones available. If I end up buying a Frontier, it'll most likely be from online.

Hi, My Frontier was bought new in 2009, it's UK made, and the mistake I made was not buying more than one.

I believe production ended in UK about 2009/10.

I think of it as an economy version of the Sonnet, the nibs are interchangeable, feeds not, as there is a very slight difference in thread.

( If you need to ever take the feed out, Frontiers have an unusual fitting, one turn of thread on the feed then pull straight out.)

It's true that the outer coating does wear off the grip, but it takes a great deal of use to get there, and even then, a bit of work with a pencil eraser on the coating will get it all off, so that the rubber grip is totally fine to use.

The plastic barrel versions are fairly light weight but the steel barrel versions add more weight to that.

Edited by Mike 59