Nakaya Decapod Versus Twist

Drcollector

I am at a fork in the road. The sign on the left reads "Decapod;" the sign on the right reads "Decapod Twist."

I have been using measurements from Nakaya's site to gauge the fit of the Twist. According to the chart, the Decapod seems to be one of the lighter models at 17g, while the larger Twist weighs in at 20g, the same as a Portable or Piccolo. Based on photos, it seems ever so slightly longer yet substantially thicker than the Decapod.

I enjoy a slim, lightweight pen. For reference, I would say the Portable is ideal. I also have a Naka-ai, which I find a bit on the heavy side.

For those who have owned the Twist, how would you compare its weight and girth to other Nakaya models? If you could have a fresh start, would you purchase a Decapod or a Twist?

Urushiphile

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whichwatch

• Drcollector

• GardenWeasel

• jmccarty3

I used to have both. In hand they are indistinguishable in terms of weight and comfort. Personally if I were to buy again, I'd for the twist. It is unique (there are many makers that produce faceted pens, but not twisted (!) pens) and it is beautiful to look at.

I'd leave it up more to the aesthetic that appeals to you. The twist and standard have a different visual appeal. Nakaya selected a really nice graduation of the twist. They could have overdone it or made it too subtle. Looks "just right" to me. And like Mastiff suggests, it's probably better to go with that one as it's more unusual. It could also promote better resale down the road if you ever decide to part with it.

Wow, Nakaya prices have sure gone up over the years. Just took a look after not looking for the last 5 years. Yikes!

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I don't know if this picture will help, but left to right are Piccolo, Decapod Twist, Naka-ai, and Portable.

I once had a Decapod, but I find the Decapod Twist a good bit more interesting.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B82315C0F-CA5C-4B66-BB00-620FF3AA5645%7D/origpict/IMG_1332.JPG

Edited by whichwatch

I think you meant to type Piccolo for thr left most.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Wow! I am surprised at the difference in cap length between the Naka-ai and Portable!

I think you meant to type Piccolo for thr left most.

Yes, exactly. Thanks for catching the mistake. I will edit my post to correct the error.

Wow! I am surprised at the difference in cap length between the Naka-ai and Portable!

Actually, I was a little surprised too after you pointed it out. I always thought of Portable and Naka-ai as about the same size but as the following pictures show, the way they get there is quite different. Naka-ai is on the left in both pictures.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BC9A12BFF-2293-4712-8643-38D147BA4EF2%7D/origpict/IMG_1333.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B5767A088-6AC5-46D4-A940-1D0C61185B60%7D/origpict/IMG_1334.JPG

Absolutely stunning section on the Naka-ai!

Thanks. It is the 21st Anniversary Limited Edition (of 21) that Classic Fountain Pens/Nibs.com had created in late 2015. In addition to the gold sprinkle on the section, the pen features a unique color they called "Olive Tamenuri" and special kanji nomenclature down the length of the barrel.

Thank you everyone for your responses and photos. I am happy to hear that the Twist is nearly indistinguishable by weight. It certainly looks more interesting, but not in a gaudy way (except for aka-tamenuri :lol:).

I have also just picked up on the cap length of the Naka-ai, which is probably why it feels that much heftier than the Portable.

Whichwatch, that appears to be a toki-tamenuri Portable with metal threads. Is its weight immediately noticeable?

Urushiphile

Whichwatch, that appears to be a toki-tamenuri Portable with metal threads. Is its weight immediately noticeable?

Good eyes! I did notice the extra weight as soon as I picked up the pen. The weight is nicely balanced and not terribly noticeable when the pen is held in writing position.

According to my kitchen scale, Portable with metal threads weighs 32 grams and with ebonite threads 25 grams. If you think of it as 28% heavier, it sounds like a heck of a lot. If you think of it as 7 grams, not so much.

I do not own a Twist, but I do have a Decapod, as well as the same Naka-ai that Whichwatch has so beautifully photographed (albeit mine has the monkey roll stopper rather than the clip). I'm not sure whether the Naka-ai is that much heavier than the Decapod, but it certainly feels that way. My impression is that I could write all day with the Decapod, while I would tire much sooner with the Naka-ai. I can't imagine that there would be that much difference between the Decapod and the Twist, so the choice becomes ones of aesthetics (and availability).

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

According to my kitchen scale, Portable with metal threads weighs 32 grams and with ebonite threads 25 grams. If you think of it as 28% heavier, it sounds like a heck of a lot. If you think of it as 7 grams, not so much.

Wow! That does sound a good deal heavier. Aesthetically, I prefer the lacquered threads and that olive tamenuri is a great example.

I'm not sure whether the Naka-ai is that much heavier than the Decapod, but it certainly feels that way. My impression is that I could write all day with the Decapod, while I would tire much sooner with the Naka-ai.

I agree. There is something almost brush-like about the Naka-ai that gives writing with it a different quality. It's as if it were meant for slow, deliberate strokes. But that's just my small-handed opinion.

Urushiphile

• 2 weeks later...

I wish one can try all these pens before choosing! Anyone here has such experience?

Two ways to do that:

Attend a pen show where John Mottishaw is exhibiting, or travel to Japan and seek out stores that carry Nakayas.

There are suggestions that John's company, Classic Fountain Pens, may be exhibiting at more pen shows in the future. Of late, he has been limiting his attendance to the LA and San Francisco shows, alternating between the two.

I was fortunate to attend the DC show in 2015, where Brad Dowdy graciously allowed me to examine his Nakaya Decapod. This gave me the courage to go ahead and order my first one.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.