Suggestion On Nakaya Nib

Masodae

Hello Everyone,

I received my Nakaya Decapod Writer with the EF Nib. I tend to write small and thought the EF Nib would be a perfect fit. Unfortunately it felt dry and very scratchy. I am going for a Nib change and wanted some suggestions if medium stub would be fine enough or should I specify the size while asking for the customization?

What is the minimum size I can get in a medium stub such that it does not feel scratchy

Please give me your suggestions on the nib.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Masodae

• tinta

• jar

• gerigo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all :W2FPN: .

Not sure what happens with narrower stub widths, but a 0.5 or 0.6 mm stub is easy to handle & should not be scratchy. Depends on who does the customization. Some nib techs seem to make sharper & therefore scratchier stubs.

An M nib is about 0.4 to 0.5 mm. in width. A Japanese medium nib would make a good candidate for a narrow custom stub.

I use a 14c 0.5 stub as a daily writer. With a smooth (round cornered) stub of this size you can write fairly fast. At 0.5 mm., line-width-variation & shading is very possible.

Congratulations on your Decapod. Where did you get your Nakaya?

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Before you go a changing your nib, you might want to try different inks. You have not mentioned the inks you're using but try using a highly lubricated or wet ink, like a Sailor or De Atramentis ink. Stay away from Pelikan 4001s as they are not friendly to very fine or dry performing nibs.

I have had fine nibs write like a broad based on using a wet ink, which stressed me out no end, until I switched inks. The switch completely changed the character of the pen it writes much more like a regular fine.

First, welcome home. As mentioned above, try different inks first. Then if you decide on nib changes or modification talk to your contact about wetness. Often all that is needed is a simply tuning to increase wetness.

My Website

Before you go a changing your nib, you might want to try different inks. You have not mentioned the inks you're using but try using a highly lubricated or wet ink, like a Sailor or De Atramentis ink. Stay away from Pelikan 4001s as they are not friendly to very fine or dry performing nibs.

I have had fine nibs write like a broad based on using a wet ink, which stressed me out no end, until I switched inks. The switch completely changed the character of the pen it writes much more like a regular fine.

+1

I have 7 Nakayas. (How in the world did that happen??) I have no other make of pen where the ink used makes as big a difference. In general, mine are dry writers and write much better with wet inks, e.g., Iroshizuku. But, lubrication and some other parameters I can't identify make a difference too. So, for example, one of my driest nibs that is super scratchy with most inks loves Akkerman inks. Another loves Sheaffer Blue-Black.

Bottom line: Unless the tines are misaligned, which is unlikely, just try lots of inks before giving up on it.

David

Thanks or taking the time to respond back on my query. I got my pets from Nibs.com and returning it back for tuning is not only a expensive hassle.

I will go through some inks before I send it back for change. I will keep you all updated on my experiments.

Thanks or taking the time to respond back on my query. I got my pets from Nibs.com and returning it back for tuning is not only a expensive hassle.

I will go through some inks before I send it back for change. I will keep you all updated on my experiments.

That would be the best & least expensive first step. Getting into custom ground edged nibs (stubs) is another matter all together.

Best of luck

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I agree with trying different inks. I have found in my limited experience that different pens have different ideal ink mates. :) An ink that is wonderful in one pen will be rather blah in another. The right ink really makes a pen shine.

How many pens do you have?

Do you hold your fountain pen like a fountain pen laid behind your big index knuckle or before it like a ball point?

Holding it like a ball point = scratchy, especially with a super fine Japanese EF nib that is = to a western XXF. .........a very, very small sweet spot.

Japanese F = EF in western........M= western F. B= a M or a fat F.

Japanese nibs are designed for a tiny printed script.....good if you are a printer.

Wetter inks......slicker papers help with smooth too.

One should be able to write larger if one is using a wider nib....with out ending the world.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

How many pens do you have?

Do you hold your fountain pen like a fountain pen laid behind your big index knuckle or before it like a ball point?

Holding it like a ball point = scratchy, especially with a super fine Japanese EF nib that is = to a western XXF. .........a very, very small sweet spot.

Japanese F = EF in western........M= western F. B= a M or a fat F.

Japanese nibs are designed for a tiny printed script.....good if you are a printer.

Wetter inks......slicker papers help with smooth too.

One should be able to write larger if one is using a wider nib....with out ending the world.

Thanks for this new information, I never realized that I held the ballpoint higher as compared to a fountain pen. I changed the ink and tried writing with a lighter hand. The writing is beautifully fine but I do not feel the joy in writing.

My other two pens are the Mont Blanc 149 with a medium nib which writs wet and big. And my current favorite the Namiki Nippon Fine Nib. This is the perfect size and smoothness till date in all the pens I tried.

I am still torn between keeping th EF Nib as the wife likes it. Or option 2 try a medium stub or take a safe route and opt for a wet Fine Nib.

I will keep you all updated on what I finally decide.

• 2 weeks later...

The decision seems to be oit of my hands. I lost the Nakaya Yesterday. I hope whoever finds it understands its true value and use it well.

I have ordered a Sailor Profit with EF Naginata Tobi nib. This will help me decide if I want a another Nakaya Decapod, Namiki Yukari Royale Vermilion or the Sailor Susutake.

I am attaching sample of the Namiki Fine Nib in Red Ink and Nakaya EF in the Irish Green.

post-136670-0-24347200-1497020787_thumb.jpeg