Lamy 1.1 Mmm Nib

gampupen

I bought a new lamy 1.1mm nib recently from the authorised seller in India by paying the full msrp. The nib had 2 small grey dots on the backside. I returned the same and asked for replacement. The replacement arrived today and it has the same dots. Is this normal? I fitted the nib to the lamy safari and the pen would not write. The gap between the tines is clogged. Is it normal with such nibs? I am thinking of sending it again as I am not good at diy repair.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gampupen

• Mike 59

• Astronymus

• ParkerDuofold

Forgot to mention that the dots are at the place where the slit starts at the backside.

Hello Gampupen,

I'm looking at a recent acquisition Lamy Logo and it has no such markings. There is the slit with the breather hole at the base and below that it reads M (nib size) and below that, LAMY in italic block letters. The finish is brightly chromed and polished.

How does that compare to yours?

- Anthony

Hi Parker Duofold,

The nib is nicely polished except for the 2 dots closeby(overlapping each other) at the backside of the nib where the slit starts. I have a phot of the nib but I am unable to upload it as it is 2.05 mb and I am allowed to load files only upto 1.95 mb.

Hi Gampupen,

The two spare 1.1 stubs I have that are not already in inked pens DO NOT have those marks anywhere underneath the nib. I don't know what to tell you. :unsure:

- Anthony

PS: Thanks for the pic, it helped. :)

Weird. It almost looks like something tried and failed to punch a breather hole (not that this nib has one). But it's definitely wrong, and maybe that indentation could be enough to keep the ink from reaching the slit. I think I'd send / take it back and ask them to check the nib before sending another. Makes me wonder if the vendor got a bad lot / lot that should have been trashed but made it to market instead.

Thanks Anthony, I am sending the nib back. A very bad service from authorised Lamy distributor in India.

Regards,

Dinker

Yeah Lizef, the nib would not write. And to think that this is the replacement nib. Sometimes people do not care about the customers and try to dispose off their bad stock.

Yeah Lizef, the nib would not write. And to think that this is the replacement nib. Sometimes people do not care about the customers and try to dispose off their bad stock.

Yep, that's why I'd explicitly ask them to check the next one and make sure it doesn't have any marks. Wishing you luck with nib #3. :)

I have a spare 1.1 mm that I picked up about six years ago. Just checked it & there is no such mark on the back of mine either.

I agree with LizEF that someone has attempted to punch a breather hole on this nib from the back, thinking that perhaps a "real" nib should have one of these holes. These Lamy nibs do not have breather holes & they do not need any.

By stressing the metal at the start of the slit, they may have deformed the tines so that the ink does not flow properly along the slit.

Someone messed with this nib. I would send it back.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Thanks Anthony, I am sending the nib back. A very bad service from authorised Lamy distributor in India.

Regards,

Dinker

Hello Dinker,

You're quite welcome; glad I could help... and I would take Liz' advice and stress the point you do not want another marked-up nib.

Good luck. Hopefully the third time will be the charm. :)

- Anthony

Hi, If it helps, here is my 1.1mm stub nib.

Also there seems to be no tine gap right at the tip of the nib, this is how I got it, it writes very well.

post-70376-0-83089200-1495702309.jpg

I have a black and chrome nibs with such a mark or two smaller ones. It didn't affect writing so far. I guess it has something to do with coating the nibs.

I purchased several new nibs during my trip to Leiden, including 1.1mm one. I immediately mounted it on my Al Star, and I even consider using it as an everyday pen.

Hello ppl,

The point is those 2 dots were not polished and I thought that it could cause rust to form after a few years of usage. Also, the pen did not write. I did not want a sub standard nib, especially after paying full msrp, which is quite a lot of money by Indian standards.

I want to add that a responsible person from their office rang me and assured me of resolving the problem.

Thanks for your insight ppl. It helped me. Will post once I receive the new nib

I doubt that Lamy nibs would rust with normal ink.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the nib yesterday. They have sent the same nib once again. The authorised distributors of Lamy are M/S. Williampenn, Bangalore. I have written an email to them yesterday only and I have not heard from them. I am thinking of waiting for 2 more days. Even then if I do not receive any reply, I am thinking of forwarding the email exchanges to Lamy, Germany.

Anyway, thanks to all for your support.

post-28632-0-96254800-1496932586_thumb.jpg

Hi gampupen, That nib looks good to me, and the one in your first photo too.

They both seem to be just like the one I have, it writes very well and I use it most days.

post-70376-0-77674400-1496953674_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike 59

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information. The nib surely writes well, but I am only 80% happy. Don't ask me how I got that figure. Lol.