Brown Color Pens

tgoto

There's always the M200 Café Cream, which can still be had fairly reasonable.

Chromantic, that is totally a sleeper and it's really nice!

I like the brown/ivory contrast :)

More research to do...with smile :D

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tgoto

• Barkingpig

• FOUR X FOUR

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The L.A. or S.F. pen shows would be great places to look.

The problem with pen shows is that I will want more pens! :)

+ re Diplomat pens. Excellent pens both mechanically and visually.

Several years ago I walked into Fahrney's and saw a brown THINK fountain pen during a pen show. It looked so out-of-place among all the glitz, like the country cousin who came to the big city for the first time. I felt sorry for it and bought it. A purely emotional response. And I've never regretted it. An excellent writer with a medium nib.

​From everything I see THINK seems to have gone over to an all BP selection.

It seems like a win-win..writes well and is reasonably priced.

I tried to find out more about the THINK company but I can't find information like their history.

I wonder if they want people to focus more about their pens rather than their history or origin.

I usually use lighter-weight pens, but do have some metal pens.

The wooden pens look really neat.

In your experience, does the lacquer last long time on the wood?

The grain on the wood looks wonderful :)

Hey, thanks! I grew, harvested, designed, turned, ground, tuned, marketed, sold, and then bought them myself. ;)

As far as I know, neither pen is lacquered, though I could be wrong. The Pilot Ichii is completely brand new to me, and I'm babying it. The FC Ambition has been my daily carry for a couple of years, on and off, and has taken a few dents. It doesn't seem to show in the wood, but the metal bits are getting a bit rough.

(I noticed further down the thread that you're considering the Diplomat Excellence. If you like lighter pens, DEFINITELY hold one first---they're hefty.)

It seems like a win-win..writes well and is reasonably priced.

I tried to find out more about the THINK company but I can't find information like their history.

I wonder if they want people to focus more about their pens rather than their history or origin.

THINK is a sub group of KRONE, an earlier post here referenced that they were made in Asia & used Schmidt nibs. I bought mine NOS from an Ebay Seller & swapped the nib for a Goulet 1.5 stub, since they only are available with a medium nib. I have other pens by KRONE & they are assuredly nicer pens in finish & material used, but reflective of a higher price as well. I have enjoyed my Think pen & suggest looking around on Ebay for different bodies, because they do discontinue them with frequency & bring out new models.

You might also be interested in the TWSBI Micarta pen, although discontinued, they are sometimes available. It is my "purest" Brown pen, although I tend to consider ambers, golds & similar colors as members of my Brown family. Also I have seen some good looking Ebonite Browns............

Hey, thanks! I grew, harvested, designed, turned, ground, tuned, marketed, sold, and then bought them myself. ;)

As far as I know, neither pen is lacquered, though I could be wrong. The Pilot Ichii is completely brand new to me, and I'm babying it. The FC Ambition has been my daily carry for a couple of years, on and off, and has taken a few dents. It doesn't seem to show in the wood, but the metal bits are getting a bit rough.

(I noticed further down the thread that you're considering the Diplomat Excellence. If you like lighter pens, DEFINITELY hold one first---they're hefty.)

Thank you!

I really need to hold these pens.

Wooden ones definitely intrigue me...so many choices :)

Great problem to have lol

THINK is a sub group of KRONE, an earlier post here referenced that they were made in Asia & used Schmidt nibs. I bought mine NOS from an Ebay Seller & swapped the nib for a Goulet 1.5 stub, since they only are available with a medium nib. I have other pens by KRONE & they are assuredly nicer pens in finish & material used, but reflective of a higher price as well. I have enjoyed my Think pen & suggest looking around on Ebay for different bodies, because they do discontinue them with frequency & bring out new models.

You might also be interested in the TWSBI Micarta pen, although discontinued, they are sometimes available. It is my "purest" Brown pen, although I tend to consider ambers, golds & similar colors as members of my Brown family. Also I have seen some good looking Ebonite Browns............

Thank you for the information!

They have fun design on their pens.

It's great that the nib can be swapped with goulet nibs.

I would probably replace the nib with stub also if I got the pen.

Micarta is an interesting material. Fret board on my guitar uses Micarta. Very durable but feels similar to hard wood. Nice alternative material.

And yes, ambers and gold are in brown family in my book as well :)

I find the medium-large 600's a light and nimble pen with good girth....I find the Large 800's to be heavy and clunky and I have medium sized hands.

M620 Grand Place is first on my pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow money. Was rare then, is rarer now and more expensive. :notworthy1: ...............one can always find a '50-65 semi-flex nib for it. I had a '50's B on my 600 :puddle: ...until I finally after years, got the BB nib stubbed down to a 1.0.

I'm missing a yellow pen, and it appears I out side of Tortoise pens, am missing brown. Perhaps green too....... :happyberet:

Boehler....The Boehler brothers had Osmia pen company since 1922, in 1938 they split the company. This is a Boehler Gold 54 in tortoise. Faber Castell had bought into the company in '36. Faber Castell finished the buy up of Osmia by '50 and then started erasing the Osmia name....the reason they bought it....to get a good pen in Faber Castell itself only made a second tier pen. So Osmia was erased by the late '50's. The bought a Dukedom Faber-Castell's had an ego problem so Osmia died.........it might well have done so, but not corporate modern. :angry: Well, Parker did worse to Wahl-Eversharp.

Boehler made pens until the '70's.

I have both Osmia/OFC & Boehler in BCHR, but color in German pens always costs 30% more in vintage.

I have seen some modern GvFC that were of wood.........but nail nibs don't interest me.

When I buy a pen, I figure I bought the picture too.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/F7n6tDyIMsZj1282498401S_zps6alftcri.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/ZL6RrVDHwYC11282498416S_zpsz4g0ib8v.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I find the medium-large 600's a light and nimble pen with good girth....I find the Large 800's to be heavy and clunky and I have medium sized hands.

M620 Grand Place is first on my pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow money. Was rare then, is rarer now and more expensive. :notworthy1: ...............one can always find a '50-65 semi-flex nib for it. I had a '50's B on my 600 :puddle: ...until I finally after years, got the BB nib stubbed down to a 1.0.

I'm missing a yellow pen, and it appears I out side of Tortoise pens, am missing brown. Perhaps green too....... :happyberet:

Boehler....The Boehler brothers had Osmia pen company since 1922, in 1938 they split the company. This is a Boehler Gold 54 in tortoise. Faber Castell had bought into the company in '36. Faber Castell finished the buy up of Osmia by '50 and then started erasing the Osmia name....the reason they bought it....to get a good pen in Faber Castell itself only made a second tier pen. So Osmia was erased by the late '50's. The bought a Dukedom Faber-Castell's had an ego problem so Osmia died.........it might well have done so, but not corporate modern. :angry: Well, Parker did worse to Wahl-Eversharp.

Boehler made pens until the '70's.

I have both Osmia/OFC & Boehler in BCHR, but color in German pens always costs 30% more in vintage.

I have seen some modern GvFC that were of wood.........but nail nibs don't interest me.

When I buy a pen, I figure I bought the picture too.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/F7n6tDyIMsZj1282498401S_zps6alftcri.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/ZL6RrVDHwYC11282498416S_zpsz4g0ib8v.jpg

M620 Grand Place is a really nice pen..minus the high price...but then many times one gets what he pays for, so I am putting Grand Place in my wishlist when I save up for it.

The brown and blue/red mix color is gorgeous.

Boehler 54 you have is a nice-looking pen!

I tried to quickly search on auction site, but couldn't find...must be rare.

I will have to keep an eye on it :)

Boehler pens are rare, look on German Ebay. When there were more of them, I had less money, when I had more money, there were less of them............... :angry: :doh: and I didn't hunt every week.

Often they are inexpensive compared to Pelikan or Osmia.

A 76&53 Boehler.....the cap jewel 'fancy B' on the 53 or lower one was Boeler's jewel. Osmia often used a diamond. The top pen had the same cap jewel as some other Osmia pens. Osmia had some 3 caps, 4 clips.

These are pre' War like the Tortoise.

I had never expected to own a BCHR pen...then in the space of some 6 months I think I ended up with 8 of them. One real ratty, one pretending to be a name pen...the others just fine.

That Boeler clip I'd not seen on an Osmia, but I'm not an Expert on Osmia....they were always either over or at the border of my budget. I have four Boehlers and 5 Osmia/O-F-C pens.

Boehler when he split the company used the same model numbers as before.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/B0ijipgEWkKGrHqMOKiUETrJ6spBMvK46y_3_zpsv4xkmvrm.jpg

Mdl 54 the pen that started my journey. Before the Last Depression, we were going to sell at our first flea market and the wife asked, what are the inherited fountain pens that sat in the dark of the drawer for 15 years worth..................fountain pens.....old obsolete things....in the day of having 200 free BP's in the house. E($) 5.00 for the pretty one and E1 for the Esterbrook and others.

Having been tasked....I looked in the Net.....started at 20:00 stopped at 02:00 with a fountain pen collection. This 54 was then worth some $250. :yikes: .....Thomas/Kaweco a member here almost got a great buy at the Heidelberg Flea market....probably haggled it down to E3.00. (Thomas has opened a Pen Museum in Heidelberg from part of his collection.)

My P-75 I bought for some $22 silver dollars in 1970 was worth then $225! :o

I organized a jail break from my wife's jewelry box. B)

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/faber_osmia_62_f_marbled_7_zpstxwcsx1f.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/faber_osmia_62_f_marbled_3_zpsymd0irev.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Chromantic, that is totally a sleeper and it's really nice!

I like the brown/ivory contrast :)

More research to do...with smile :D

The problem is that Pelikan only made them for one year, I think. They're still available on eBay from places like Japan and Malaysia, but they're not cheap (I should know -- I lost two of them :().

As for me, I have seven brown pens at the moment:

Parker Vacumatic Debutante (Brown Shadow Wave) -- F? nib

Pelikan M400 Brown Tortoise an older one from the 1990s) -- F nib

Noodler's Ebonite Konrad Methuselah's Pine Cone Ripple -- flex nib

Guanleming 193 Calligraphy pen -- fude nib

Esterbrook J copper -- 9550 nib

Esterbrook J copper -- 9788 nib

Esterbrook SJ root beer -- 9550 nib

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I don't dislike brown. I just don't have any brown pens. Until recently I did have any white pens, either.

Oops. Yes I do have brown pens. I have 2 Twsbi Micartas. 1 clip. 1 clipless

Boehler pens are rare, look on German Ebay. When there were more of them, I had less money, when I had more money, there were less of them............... :angry: :doh: and I didn't hunt every week.

Often they are inexpensive compared to Pelikan or Osmia.

A 76&53 Boehler.....the cap jewel 'fancy B' on the 53 or lower one was Boeler's jewel. Osmia often used a diamond. The top pen had the same cap jewel as some other Osmia pens. Osmia had some 3 caps, 4 clips.

These are pre' War like the Tortoise.

I had never expected to own a BCHR pen...then in the space of some 6 months I think I ended up with 8 of them. One real ratty, one pretending to be a name pen...the others just fine.

That Boeler clip I'd not seen on an Osmia, but I'm not an Expert on Osmia....they were always either over or at the border of my budget. I have four Boehlers and 5 Osmia/O-F-C pens.

Boehler when he split the company used the same model numbers as before.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/B0ijipgEWkKGrHqMOKiUETrJ6spBMvK46y_3_zpsv4xkmvrm.jpg

Mdl 54 the pen that started my journey. Before the Last Depression, we were going to sell at our first flea market and the wife asked, what are the inherited fountain pens that sat in the dark of the drawer for 15 years worth..................fountain pens.....old obsolete things....in the day of having 200 free BP's in the house. E($) 5.00 for the pretty one and E1 for the Esterbrook and others.

Having been tasked....I looked in the Net.....started at 20:00 stopped at 02:00 with a fountain pen collection. This 54 was then worth some $250. :yikes: .....Thomas/Kaweco a member here almost got a great buy at the Heidelberg Flea market....probably haggled it down to E3.00. (Thomas has opened a Pen Museum in Heidelberg from part of his collection.)

My P-75 I bought for some $22 silver dollars in 1970 was worth then $225! :o

I organized a jail break from my wife's jewelry box. B)

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/faber_osmia_62_f_marbled_7_zpstxwcsx1f.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/faber_osmia_62_f_marbled_3_zpsymd0irev.jpg

They are beautiful pen!!

Being rare, the price of the pens will go up...before they go up too much, I need to look for them :)

The problem is that Pelikan only made them for one year, I think. They're still available on eBay from places like Japan and Malaysia, but they're not cheap (I should know -- I lost two of them :().

As for me, I have seven brown pens at the moment:

Parker Vacumatic Debutante (Brown Shadow Wave) -- F? nib

Pelikan M400 Brown Tortoise an older one from the 1990s) -- F nib

Noodler's Ebonite Konrad Methuselah's Pine Cone Ripple -- flex nib

Guanleming 193 Calligraphy pen -- fude nib

Esterbrook J copper -- 9550 nib

Esterbrook J copper -- 9788 nib

Esterbrook SJ root beer -- 9550 nib

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

You are right...the Pelikan pens are expensive on auction site...:(

So beautiful though.

You have a nice list of pens there!

I totally overlooked Esterbrook. The root beer color looks great!

Oops. Yes I do have brown pens. I have 2 Twsbi Micartas. 1 clip. 1 clipless

lol

I love micarta material :)

I have a brown Karras Customs Ink, and I like it very much. I keep it filled with KWZ Honey ink.

I have a brown Karras Customs Ink, and I like it very much. I keep it filled with KWZ Honey ink.

Nice! Do you have different color grip section?

I love the Honey ink too :)

Parker 50 Falcon came in brown which looks like a baked-on paint finish with a very slight pebble texture; not nearly as attractive as the brushed steel Flighter.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

The only brown pens I own are a Stipula Gladiator in Tortoise and a Delta Seawood Wenghè (borrowed pictures)

Stipula-Gladiator-F-llhalter-Schwarz-Gol

delta_sea_wood_sm-6.jpg

Parker 50 Falcon came in brown which looks like a baked-on paint finish with a very slight pebble texture; not nearly as attractive as the brushed steel Flighter.

Yes, the steel Flighter is beautiful! I saw one on ebay and I am debating if I should get it. So many pens I want... I need to strategize on the spending (or coming up with good excuses to get more pens ;p)