Hello, First Time On The Site, Newish To Fp

Hello,

My name is Rick. I have been using Fountain Pens for almost 2 years. My use of them came from an illness I suffered in February of 2015 causing nerve damage to my body and hands that causes pain when trying to put pressure through my fingers. Because of that pain, using a ballpoint was next to impossible, and lets face it, Fountain Pens are way cooler than rollerball!

I have heard a lot about this site from Reddit and YouTube, but have never been here to see whats up. Not even to lurk. I figured if I was going to check it out, I would dive right into the community.

So here I am,

Rick

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FPFun

• Carrau

• Sasha Royale

• Wahl

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. I'm glad you are here!

“The proper definition of a man is an animal that writes letters.”

Lewis Carroll

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                 My Favorite Brick and Mortar Store

Vanness Pens - Now selling Online!

penman1914

Hello,

My name is Rick. I have been using Fountain Pens for almost 2 years. My use of them came from an illness I suffered in February of 2015 causing nerve damage to my body and hands that causes pain when trying to put pressure through my fingers. Because of that pain, using a ballpoint was next to impossible, and lets face it, Fountain Pens are way cooler than rollerball!

I have heard a lot about this site from Reddit and YouTube, but have never been here to see whats up. Not even to lurk. I figured if I was going to check it out, I would dive right into the community.

So here I am,

Rick

Welcome! This is THE place to indulge in the hobby. Edited by penman1914
Henricum_Tropen

Hello Rick and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Sasha Royale

Welcome, Rick !

Sorry to learn of your misfortune. However, your solving of the nerve injury problem makes you highly valuable to FPN. There are others, who may benefit from your experience. I hope you will stay with us and be available to help. Please forgive my "prying". I wish to "probe" for information, that others might be helped.

Do I speculate correctly that you are more comfortable with a larger diameter fountain pen ? How about heft ? Is a heavier pen better than a lighter pen ? Did you try different pens ? Which fountain pen have you been using ?

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

The pens I am using:

Do I speculate correctly that you are more comfortable with a larger diameter fountain pen ? How about heft ? Is a heavier pen better than a lighter pen ? Did you try different pens ? Which fountain pen have you been using ?

I love TWSBI for capacity and have inked : 2 ECO (F & 1.1 Stub), 580 (B), Mini (M).

Lamy Safari with custom grind - Too light for my taste

2 Pilot VP (M, F)

To start out I was more comfortable with a large diameter pen as it was easier to control. However, larger diameter pens were also heavier for the ones I used and too much heft caused a shake in my hands that I could not control (Monteverde Regatta). This led me to the safari as it is a light pen, but it was too light and I found I was pressing the section to hard to try and "find" the pen. The TWSBI Mini was a gift to me from Goulet Pens after they heard about my condition and it was a perfect fit when posted. This why I have so many of the TWSBI.

I have small hands and find a posted ECO or 580 is to long for me. I like the VP for my condition as well because every so often I get spasms from unscrewing caps on pens and with the VP it is just a click.

Hope this helps. I am always willing to talk about my condition and what helps me.

Morphling27

Welcome! I'm in a desert in the state of AZ!

Here's my quick advice. Don't go to the pen review forum. Do not go to the ink review forum.

I just saved you a bunch of money!

Here are two questions I'll help you answer:

How much is too much ink? There is never enough ink.

Should I add another pen I've been eyeing to my collection? Of course, if you can properly budget for it.

Greetings and welcome!

:W2FPN:

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

Rick, Hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines