Edison Collier- Extra Fine, Antique Marble

KellyMcJ

Let me start off by saying, I couldn't be happier with this pen! I squealed with delight when I came home and saw the box from Goulet sitting at my door. What was inside did not disappoint!!!!

I purchased this pen with intent for it to be a writing pen, and that's what I'll use it for. However, I have found that drawing is a really good way to get to know a new pen (and it's less boring than copying pages of text because I'm not much of a writer!!!). To that end, I did a couple of quick sketches. What I found is that this pen/ink combo is not good for drawing- and a good part of that is the ink, which I won't try to draw with again in any pen because it's smudge city.

For what it's worth, a Collier converted to an eyedropper would be an excellent drawing pen, especially with a different ink, and that very well may happen in my future, except that I saw Brian's new Draw Filler and now I'm pretty sure THAT will happen in my future instead. (Seriously, check it out) :D I decided against eyedropper conversion with this pen due to the transparent material and the fact that I don't need the capacity in a pen I intend to use for writing.

Now for the rest:

The antique marble color is absolutely gorgeous. I fell in love with it at first sight, and photos do not do it justice. It really looks classic, like something I would expect to see a hundred years ago. It has the sheen that I think the old celluloid has, although I've never seen celluloid in person. One caveat for filling this partially transparent pen- it's possible to get ink between the nib unit and the section, especially if you're using creepy crawly Noodler's inks. If it's a dark or black ink, you probably won't mind- it blends in with the darker parts of the material and anyone who didn't witness its appearance wouldn't know it was ink. If it's a lighter ink, it may not show up at all. If it happens, reach out to Brian, he will tell you how to take care of it. :)

The nib is super smooth. I love smooth nibs, so this is a joy to write with. It makes a nice sound when it moves on the paper, despite its smoothness. I find this delightful, others may not. When writing, there are no skips, burps, blurbs or anything else- good, consistent feed of ink. It's a suitably wet writer- I don't have other extra fines to compare it too, but I like wet writing pens and this one certainly doesn't disappoint in that regard. It's also beautiful, (of course, I'm partial to two-tone steel nibs.)

The clip is phenomenal, beautiful, well made and strong. The fit and finish of everything is just gorgeous. Even the converter is nicer than many!!! It comes in a beautiful display/storage box (which I intend to use because I'm not about to just toss this one into a drawer!) which is beautifully made and strong, with a spring hinge like a jewelry box.

Now for the pics:

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag402/klmcjilton/Mobile%20Uploads/20170518_101404_zpsplaqnbru.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag402/klmcjilton/Mobile%20Uploads/20170518_101500_zps7dqxvnnn.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag402/klmcjilton/Mobile%20Uploads/20170518_101313_zpshwzqfsgo.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• gregamckinney

• bgray

• CrossFoot

Beautiful material!

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Thank you Kelly. Indeed this is an awesome pen and I concur totally. Your foto captures the color very well I think. What a stellar captivating composition of colors.

I have it in Antique Marble too with a 1.1 stub. I can't believe the "wow" factor when inked with Diamine Syrah! And I was skeptical that I could abide by a reddish ink. Perhaps my favorite now with stubs. I thought this would be to large a pen for my taste, but not so. One point of caution though for those that might assume: The Collier does NOT post and was designed that way; sorry boys & girls.

I never post my pens so I forgot to mention that, but correct- it does not post.

It's also incredibly light. It's my first acrylic pen so I wasn't sure what to expect there. It's very light and easy to hold and write with.

Updating this review now that I've tried the pen with a different ink; I loved it before, but wasn't sure about the extra fine nib (nothing wrong at all with the nib, just that it's my first extra fine and I thought I might prefer a fine or medium). With a different ink, this pen really sings!

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag402/klmcjilton/Mobile%20Uploads/20170525_120713_zpsltphvjrv.jpg

Absolutely agree with what the OP says about photos not doing justice to the material; this was not a priority Collier for me (I have four others including the 2015 LE Black Rose version) because I'd looked at the photos on various websites and thought it wasn't all that interesting, but when I did manage to get one cheaply on eBay I was very pleasantly surprised by the translucency and depth of colour. A gorgeous little beast.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

• 4 months later...

I FINALLY ordered the Collier in Antique Marble today from Goulet and can hardly wait! Couldn't decide between a fine and medium - really I want a nib that falls right betwixt a German fine and medium but of course that isn't possible outside of a custom nib and ye olde budget won't allow that. I suspect that Diamine Antique Copper will play quite nicely in this pen!

• 4 years later...

My pen just arrived.  Is the marbliing on yours blemished on one "side"?  The marbling is not consistent around the circumference of the pen body or cap.  Probably 70% is marbled, and the other 40% looks like brushed plastic.  The argument could be made that that 40% is 3D printed.

The ends on the cap and body are not flushed with the rest.

Attempt to access pictures yielded the following message:

502 ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

31 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

Attempt to access pictures yielded the following message:

Well, @KellyMcJ last visited (signed in to) FPN 30 months ago. I don't think she'll be coming back to confirm whether she still has an active account with Photobucket, and whether her photos of the pen are still hosted on that server.

Either way, those URLs point to a server in Photobucket's domain, so the error is not introduced by (any upgrades to) the FPN platform, and nothing for anyone else to worry about or try to fix.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.