Affordable Pump Or Plunger Fillers

antichresis

Hi! Straight to the point: what pump-filler pens do you know of?

I know of Edison's Pump-Filler but the price is more than what I can afford ($350 for a steel nib and $450 for the gold nib besides international shipping...) so I'm looking at a "51" Vac which is about a fifth of the price. Do you guys have any other suggestions at this lower price point?

I'm also aware of the Pilot 823 and TWSBI Vac700 which have a plunger of some sort. Open to those kinds too that are not variations of a lever filler. Thanks!

Edited by antichresis

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• KellyMcJ

• Kelly G

• antichresis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parker Vacumatics; some pedestrian models are not terribly expensive. There are the Sheaffer plunger fillers; they can be inexpensive but tricky to restore.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Second the Vacumatic.

I got a fully-restored excellent Vacumatic (1944) for under $150.

Love it and it is usually in my pen case all the time :)

post-134999-0-34586500-1495082004_thumb.jpeg

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

+1 on the Parker Vacumatic.

But you need to buy it restored, or have someone that can restore it for you. When you get a Vac, like an ink sac pen, you need to expect that the rubber diaphram has deteriorated and failed, and will need to be replaced.

I have both the Parke 51 Vacumatic, and the original striated Vacumatic (similar to the above posted pix).

I personally prefer the original Vacumatic. I like to see the open nib, and the striated color is neat to look at.

There is also the striped Duofold. The stripes run the length of the pen, rather than perpendicular as on the Vacumatic. Some people like that look better.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Onoto plunge fillers abound, and usually have excellent nibs. They may be around the top of your price range.

X

Hi! Straight to the point: what pump-filler pens do you know of?

I know of Edison's Pump-Filler but the price is more than what I can afford ($350 for a steel nib and $450 for the gold nib besides international shipping...) so I'm looking at a "51" Vac which is about a fifth of the price. Do you guys have any other suggestions at this lower price point?

I'm also aware of the Pilot 823 and TWSBI Vac700 which have a plunger of some sort. Open to those kinds too that are not variations of a lever filler. Thanks!

For your consideration..Mosey on over to MainStreetPens Dot Com and

check out what Ron Zorn has currently re Parker Vacumatics and Sheaffer

Plunger fillers.....Incidentally..pens are fully restored and come with a one year

warranty...........................

Fred

The TWSBI pens are excellent. I have a TWSBI Eco, and it's a great pen. I don't use it because I find the grip section uncomfortable and fiddly- that's personal preference. It's really, really a fantastic pen otherwise and if you like narrow grip sections I can't recommend that pen highly enough.

I too am drooling over Edison's newest "draw filler". Sigh. Maybe when I get my bonus next year...

The TWSBI pens are excellent. I have a TWSBI Eco, and it's a great pen. I don't use it because I find the grip section uncomfortable and fiddly- that's personal preference. It's really, really a fantastic pen otherwise and if you like narrow grip sections I can't recommend that pen highly enough.

he he, funny how peoples perceptions differ.

If you want NARROW, try a Cross Classic Century. The grip is 6.6mm OD and the barrel is 8.1mm OD. And the Classic Century is a current production pen, not an old vintage pen.

If you want REAL NARROW, the Sailor Chalana is even smaller in OD.

www.SFPenShow.com

Sheaffer Touchdown models are many and available. With the pen out of the ink, unscrew the blind cap and pull it back. Put the nib in the ink bottle and push the blind cap down firmly but gently. Leave the pen in the ink a few seconds so it sucks up the ink.

I like the Sheaffer Touchdown pens better than the Parker Vacumatic or Vacumatic 51, both of which I have. The Vacumatic requires special tools to resac it. Not so the Touchdowns. The Sheaffer Snorkel uses a Touchdown mechanism further elaborated with the mechanism for the Snorkel tube. Snorkels are best sent out for a fifty dollar or more restoration. I have a couple sitting in drawers. Stick with the Touchdown if cost is important..

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

he he, funny how peoples perceptions differ.

If you want NARROW, try a Cross Classic Century. The grip is 6.6mm OD and the barrel is 8.1mm OD. And the Classic Century is a current production pen, not an old vintage pen.

If you want REAL NARROW, the Sailor Chalana is even smaller in OD.

Oh the Eco is a thick pen, but the part where your fingers go is only about 1/4" diameter and oddly triangular. If it had the typical hourglass section I would love it to death. The filling system and nib are both incredible.

Oh the Eco is a thick pen, but the part where your fingers go is only about 1/4" diameter and oddly triangular. If it had the typical hourglass section I would love it to death. The filling system and nib are both incredible.

I need to go look at mine, but I don't hold the Eco down next to the nib.

My fingers are about 2.5cm from the tip and my thumb about 4cm.

www.SFPenShow.com