Papier Plume - Streetcar Green, Paper Tests And Mini Review

ManofKent

Papier Plume - Streetcar Green

I ordered a bottle of this along with, a couple of other inks, based on Jackokun's excellent review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/308298-ink-view-upcoming-ink-street-car-green-by-papier-plume-nola/

Unlike many an ink this hasn't had a large number of reviews so I thought I'd attempt one, with a few paper tests.

Papier Plume are based in New Orlean's and don't have a European distributor, but thankfully they do offer international shipping, and their shipping rates are quite reasonable.

They sell a range of 15 standard inks in 15ml, 30ml and 50ml bottles (the Moss Green is lovely), but also produce a series of New Orlean's specials in 30ml bottles topped with a wax seal. These are produced in relatively small batches, although there's no indication that they won't be re-issuing them.

Streetcar Green is named after the colour of one of the local streetcars (or trams as we'd call them in the UK).

Colour:

Neither a blue-green or a yellow-green, this is definitely a grey-green, and too green to be mistaken for a green black. It's not a bright colour, but 'restrained' rather than dull.

Flow:

Very wet-flowing, but pretty well behaved. I had a little nib-creep.

Saturation:

Moderate. It doesn't looked washed out, but I wouldn't attempt to water this down.

Lubrication:

Moderate. The nib doesn't feel like it's skating across the page, but there is some lubrication.

Shading:

Paper dependent, but on good paper there's nice shading, that's readily apparent but not so heavy as to be distracting or overly busy.

Sheen:

None whatsoever - not a hint of gloss or colour sheen.

Rorschach Test:

post-135466-0-79620000-1494856159_thumb.jpg

No idea, what you're seeing in this, but it's a fairly accurate colour scan.

Paper tests - all carried out using a Bock 1.1 stub in a Namisu Orion:

Cheap Copier (scan doesn't fully bring out the green):

post-135466-0-80989100-1494855845_thumb.jpg

Tomoe River:

post-135466-0-87368500-1494856577_thumb.jpg

Cheap Cardstock (Ryman's own):

post-135466-0-63608200-1494855682_thumb.jpg

Rhodia:

post-135466-0-15065800-1494855528_thumb.jpg

Lined:

post-135466-0-21538900-1494855924_thumb.jpg

Water Resistance:

post-135466-0-99057800-1494856651_thumb.jpg

As well as being reasonably quick drying (10-15seconds depending on paper), there's a fair degree of water resistance. The green vanishes, but there's a very readable grey text left after 10 minutes soak.

Verdict

I like the colour - (the blot and Tomoe River scans, are probably the best representation on my monitor), and it's a nicely behaved ink.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ManofKent

• lapis

• visvamitra

• namrehsnoom

Yes, nice to see this great ink reviewed again. My absolute favorite of all 5 of these specials. @visva... the best thing to do is order this type directly from NOLA. If they don't have it on stock at the moment, ask them to reserve a bottle for you.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Excellent review. I really like the color. A pity they don't sale through some wholesaler in Europe.

Yes, nice to see this great ink reviewed again. My absolute favorite of all 5 of these specials. @visva... the best thing to do is order this type directly from NOLA. If they don't have it on stock at the moment, ask them to reserve a bottle for you.

Thank you both. The international shipping wasn't too bad, and it's quite reasonably priced ink. The problem in the UK is avoiding falling foul of the £15 limit on imports before tax and the whopping handling charge are added - it pretty much limits you to two small and one medium bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the excellent review. :)

Thank you - I'm not sure my scanner is really up to the job of correctly producing colours. Attempting a full review does make you appreciate the effort the regular reviewers put in!

I'd try more Papier Plume inks if they had a European stockist - they're well behaved and make a change from the more saturated offerings I usually lean to.

Thank you for the review

It's a pleasure to find a shop that can compete with BIG INK

When I finish my couple of bottles I'll be back

A great shop to visit