Waterman 52 Ink Changes Color

sundragon

Hi all, I have the weirdest issue.

It's happened twice so I'm totally confused.

Newly purchased pen.

I've rinsed the sac with water till it runs totally clear, no tint... Inked with Inferno Red wrote with it for an hour nothing weird, then about 24 hours later, it's turned dark brown totally changed color.

I rinsed out the sack with plain water till it ran clear and used a Sargasso Sea ink with no issues for about a week.

Cleaned it out with plain water till it ran clean and then tried Arizona sunset. Wrote with it about 4 hours ago went to dinner, got home and tried it again and boom, it's a dark orange...

When I clean, I use plain water and I fill the pen and empty it repeatedly till it runs clear. I can't believe there is any residue in the pen from previous inking.

Question: If the sac is leaking wouldn't the pen leak from the lever or show some evidence?

Edited by sundragon

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sundragon

• Ernst Bitterman

• Left FPN

• mhphoto

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps after the flush, leave the sac full of new water for a day or so then see what it looks like.

If you're comfortable doing it, the 52 nib and feeds are pretty easy to remove most of the time. Getting that out and deep cleaning the feed and inside of the section would most likely fix it, or at least make it better.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

I hate to raise old spectres, but perhaps what's happening is some of the inks are busily devouring the sac. After the next flush, let it dry out, and then see if there's any sounds of tackiness from the sac when you work the lever. It has been a few years since the Turn To Goo curse was out in the world, but a return is always possible.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thank you all for the advice. I'll try filling with water and leaving it for 24 hours and seeing what comes out. If that doesn't work then I'll try the drying and shaking. I don't feel comfortable taking this apart, I may take it somewhere to be cleaned if it keeps this up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files