Red Apple Ink

antichresis

"Did he mean Big Apple? Red Dragon?" Well, no.

I recently got back from China but I'm already doing research in my spare time on what I'm looking to get the next time I can visit, and I guess the point of this is post is to crowdsource/highlight nice pens and inks the rest of the world haven't heard about.

Due to the particular economic factors existing in the PROC I think they are experiencing what America had during the heyday of pens pre-WWII, albeit on a larger scale and with less experimentation. Why do I say that? Looking at Taobao.com (a massive e-commerce site in China comparable to Amazon) and searching for "钢笔" (fountain pen) or "钢笔墨水" (fountain pen ink) brings up dozens of results. There's quite a good mix of new designs and new ink manufacturers with "old school" Chinese pens with built-in aerometric fillers and probably decades old companies that seem to only sell five types of ink: blue, blue-black, red, black, and carbon black. We aren't seeing new style fillers (yet) but the recent trend of turning out piston fillers (there are two) does get me excited on what their try at a vacuum filler will be like. Even excluding the foreign items (lots of Lamy) you will still be spoiled for choice. What's different too is that there is a palpable enthusiast following; people aren't buying just because there's nothing else. I think the best proof of that is the number of listings for ink samples. Oh, and did I say that everything's cheap there? (and this is from a guy who comes from a Third World country)

Oh, the Big Apple! The description says a bottle weighs one kilogram. Enjoy:

post-129019-0-52282400-1494657406_thumb.jpg

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antichresis

• mke

• Seele

• MadTheNeko

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Germany, you also can buy Pelikan 4001 royal blue/black as 1L bottles. I paid 26 Euro each. (amazon.de)

Here in Japan, the cheapest I found was 5 USD for 60ml Parker Quink blue-black (amazon.co.jp)

In Germany, you also can buy Pelikan 4001 royal blue/black as 1L bottles. I paid 26 Euro each. (amazon.de)

Here in Japan, the cheapest I found was 5 USD for 60ml Parker Quink blue-black (amazon.co.jp)

No 4001 Blue-Black?

Edited by antichresis

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

No, blue-black is available in Germany only in 30ml "sips" - in Japan you can buy 62.5ml glasses. Prices are identical Germany 30ml = Japan 62.5ml.

IIRC, red was available in Germany as 100ml plastic bottles - but, I just checked, no more.

In US blue-black is not available - explanation can be found here.

It is good that you asked, I did a re-check on several Japanese sites and found Pilot ink as 350ml bottles, blue-black, red and black.

Your bottles are black, blue, blue-black and red? How much was sending cost? A link? Thank you.

wow, big bottles, I think they are enough for several years...

It's all Greek to me...

wow, big bottles, I think they are enough for several years...

I think it's more like school supply size rather than for individual end users.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I think it's more like school supply size rather than for individual end users.

i pay 13-15 dollars for a j.herbin 30ml in Turkey and this money equals 42-50 liras -most of people here working 12 hours for that much money...- and it only lasts 1-2 months. Sometimes I envy those cheap inks. some brands in turkey producing ink here too. but they smell like permanent markers, and I don't want to use them in my pens. Also there is other option like Parker quink for 5 dollars, but I dont want to use a blue turning green after 1 month. So I'm really curious, how they behave.

It's all Greek to me...

i pay 13-15 dollars for a j.herbin 30ml in Turkey and this money equals 42-50 liras -most of people here working 12 hours for that much money...- and it only lasts 1-2 months. Sometimes I envy those cheap inks. some brands in turkey producing ink here too. but they smell like permanent markers, and I don't want to use them in my pens. Also there is other option like Parker quink for 5 dollars, but I dont want to use a blue turning green after 1 month. So I'm really curious, how they behave.

I do recall a fellow correspondent who purchased ink in India in re-purposed soda bottles at remarkably low prices; certainly inks are produced in large batches of many litres each, and I am quite convinced that the overwhelming percentage of the price comes down to bottles and packaging, the labour required to bottle it, and of course the reputation behind the branding.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I've always wanted to try Blackstone inks—especially Barrister Blue. Unfortunately, until it gets picked-up by one of the local retailers it's a bit much. :(

@mke The cost less than $3 a bottle. Not a typo.

Edited by antichresis

Thanks antichresis. I just found it on taobao and I am considering registering an account. :)

Thanks antichresis. I just found it on taobao and I am considering registering an account. :)

You're welcome! Do share some writing samples if end up getting the ink! (personally I am interested in the Blue-Black and the Blue haha)

I want to feed my Chinese pens with their local food, so they don't get homesick. :)

I look forward to seeing these if anyone gets them. Thank you for sharing this find.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...

The description says a bottle weighs one kilogram. Enjoy:

attachicon.gifTB2X7omoXXXXXbwXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!2228163318.jpg

Oh, I want those! (Even though the graphic doesn't show up in the reply.) What did those bottles of ink cost each?

Oh! I want that too!

Of course I have to stay on the wagon :( .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Oh, I want those! (Even though the graphic doesn't show up in the reply.) What did those bottles of ink cost each?

Oh! I want that too!

Of course I have to stay on the wagon :( .

http://justwrite.com.au/Fountain-Pen-Ink/Fountain-Pen-Bottled-Ink/Blackstone%20Fountain%20Pen%20Ink%20-%20Barrier%20Reef%20Blue%20-%201000mL

AU$70.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching