Federalist Pens

News that everyone should be aware of...
I was informed by my Lamy USA Rep that Germany intends to discontinue stainless (LZ50) EF Nibs for Studio, Safari, and Al-Star Pens.. This means that once the stock from the vendor (and dealers) is over, these nibs will no longer be available.

This is unfortunate, as this seemed to be a very popular size. I checked with rep, and the loose nibs will also no longer be available once supply is depleted.

So, if you like EF nibs- check with your dealer regarding stock. You can buy them seperately, or with pens till everyone sells out!

Federalist Frank

fountain_L19_safari_Z.jpg
Federalist Pens and Paper LAMY International Lamy USA Fountain Pen Lovers Fountain Pen Community Fountain Pen Geeks Fountain Pen Classifieds

(Also posted on my Facebook Page)

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• LizEF

• Astronymus

• Goldengirly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strange. What about the black ones? Maybe I should buy an extra in case mine is ever damaged - it's one of my favorite nibs. Thanks for letting us know.

Strange. What about the black ones? Maybe I should buy an extra in case mine is ever damaged - it's one of my favorite nibs. Thanks for letting us know.

I initially read that as "maybe I should buy an extra case"...that's a lot of nibs!

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I initially read that as "maybe I should buy an extra case"...that's a lot of nibs!

:lol: Yeah, that would be a few too many, even for me.

Really makes you wonder what Lamy is thinking... I can't imagine that the 1.9 or the left handed nibs are more popular that the EF

Edited by Alteyz

The LH nib is just an italic nib and could be sold to artists and calligraphers that fancy the Lamy Joy

I'm not a fan of EF nibs although the Lamy version is better than some fine needles I have seen advertised.

Not that Lamy was particularly consistent with their Z50 EF nibs, but if they discontinue EF then no more Safari or Al-Stars for me. Yet another German fountain pen company deciding I am not their target market I guess.

(Mind you, it could be worse. They could discontinue grinding of the EF nib but not the printing of the EF label. At least this way I know not to buy.)

Weird. Aren't those important for the asian markets?

Sic transit gloria mundi.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

At least you'll be able to get any of their other round points and grind them down. So no loss really. :)

For me, no, I won't pay essentially double the price of an entry level Lamy to have the nib ground. At that price point, I'm going for the 3776, or down to a 30$ Prera or $15 Metro.

Wow I just bought two Safaris with EF as gifts and picked up an extra black EF nib for my charcoal 1.1 Safari. Im glad I got the Lamy EF nibs when I did.

I wonder why they decided to drop the EF nibs. I would think after the F and M nibs, EF would be the most popular. Were there a lot of issues with them so they decided to drop offering EF nibs?

I'd swear in one of his Q&As, Brian Goulet said EF nibs were some of their best sellers (not necessarily Lamy, and not necessarily spares, just in general). So yeah, this is perplexing.

Lamy is on a roll, with out of the box thinking, as with leaving on the table a lot of potential sales of Dark Lilac bottled ink.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Maybe it because there is not much difference between F and EF. It's said due to the production tolerances these nib sizes cross each other.

I have fine and extra fine. After using fine, I switched to extra fine, because I saw a difference. I see consistance over my five nibs, but you people report that there is no consistency over the EF production. It's moot anyway.

Hmmm. Sounds as if I should pick up an EF nib. Okay, maybe a pen with an EF nib.... Maybe that's Lamy's game plan -- have a flurry of sales to pick up their bottom line for this quarter. ;)

But yeah, you kinda wonder what they're thinking. I don't understand why they made Dark Lilac an LE color (and worse yet, an LE ink) -- you'd think that given the groundswell of support they had for both last year they'd pay at least a *little* bit of attention to their customers.

I considered getting one of the Pacifica al-Stars, only when I saw it I was going "Meh" and bought a TWSBI 580al Pink instead. Yeah. A more expensive pen. I'm reserving judgment till I see the Petrol Safari, but have a sneaking suspicion I won't like that color at all. :( Reserving judgment on the two inks as well, until I see them in personl....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hmm, I have 2 al stars and EF is all I use. If they are all done with EF then I'm sad to be all done with Lamy. There's no other way though, I only use EF and that's not changing. So I will hope this piece of news turns out to be corrected or changes and EF will not actually be discontinued.

My TWSBI EF is in the same regular rotation with the lamys and certainly holds its own on nib performance and feel in hand, probably better than the lamys actually. Alstars are just way more drop proof as I rush to a meeting dropping yet another pen! If it's between learning to write with F nib or learning to not drop other pens with EF nib, I'll take the latter!

1 Cor13:13 "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

Maybe you'll just have to use EF Lx-Nibs. Or the golden ones.