Jinhao 992, Some Answers

Mech-for-i

OK, so I got my Jinhao 992 work for a while and here's some answers :

This following photo show the pen disassembled ; minus the converter ; the nib is in a sleeved unit that screw into the section with an O ring at the nib end, the section itself had an O ring at the part it meets the barrel too. The nib actually suppose to sit an indexed slot in that sleeve, hard to see in the photo but its molded into the the clear sleeve. I've tried, neither my Schmidt #5 nor the #6 nib fits. Nor Hero's common place 26 nib. I had not tried the slim #5 schmidt or Hero's leaf shaped 26 nib but I doubt they would fit since the normal #5 just will not sit tight there and a #6 is too wide. Until then might be its wise to stick with the stock nib. ED conversion is OK. I've done up the clear demonstrator with that and let it run for 2 weeks and so far its shown no leakage and no ink seeps into the end plug of the barrel either. After careful examination under a flashlight I come to the conclusion that either this plug is heat fused to the barrel or the barrel had this part done up in multi stage injection. This applied to the cap's finale also which sadly mean its impossible to disassemble the cap simply by screwing the finale off. I've tried all manner of tricks without breaking the cap and well it stay put .. so cleaning the cap if ink do seeps in might prove to be challenging.

post-130682-0-04040000-1494385734_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• Nyanzilla

• truthpil

• antichresis

Size comparison , from top JInhao 159 , Pilot Kakuno , Platinum Plaisir , Hero 330 , Jinhao 992 , Wing Sung 500

post-130682-0-88983600-1494386374_thumb.jpg

post-130682-0-11698700-1494386416_thumb.jpg

post-130682-0-75107900-1494386471_thumb.jpg

Thanks! :D Do you foresee leaking between the inner sleeve and the section?

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

well if you look carefully you will see that the converter actually mate to the sleeve, so unless we have a leak in the converter throat otherwise its not likely to be a problem. ED conversion however will see the ink able to seep through the Sleeve/Section screw thread as the O ring sit at the nib end, not the part the sleeve meet the section and barrel. That said the screw thread is pretty fine and tight, so a coat of silicone grease should be able to keep ink away.

Thanks for the information.

I plan to buy this pen for using the FPR #5.5 Flex nib because my FPR Jaipur piston seal always broken when I clean it.

The FPR #5.5 Flex nib fit the Jinhao 699 so hope it will fit this pen too.

Thanks for the insightful review and pics!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I just received mine, except it's not a demonstrator but an opaque black version. It's a quite typical so called "cigar shaped" pen (I have no idea why, as most cigars aren't shaped like this, but nevermind), modeled after pens like Sailor 1911 or MontBlanc Classique series. Especially the clip of Jinhao 992 is very Montblanc like. As an initial impression I very much like it, for a change it's nice to have a Jinhao which isn't huge and heavy as most of their best-known models, but the plastic still seems quite solid (time will show).

The nib is a standard Jinhao small nib (#5 I think), the same as in Jinhao 599, 500 and 250.

• 2 weeks later...

This following photo show the pen disassembled ; minus the converter ; the nib is in a sleeved unit that screw into the section with an O ring at the nib end, the section itself had an O ring at the part it meets the barrel too. The nib actually suppose to sit an indexed slot in that sleeve, hard to see in the photo but its molded into the the clear sleeve. I've tried, neither my Schmidt #5 nor the #6 nib fits. Nor Hero's common place 26 nib. I had not tried the slim #5 schmidt or Hero's leaf shaped 26 nib but I doubt they would fit since the normal #5 just will not sit tight there and a #6 is too wide. Until then might be its wise to stick with the stock nib. ED conversion is OK. I've done up the clear demonstrator with that and let it run for 2 weeks and so far its shown no leakage and no ink seeps into the end plug of the barrel either. After careful examination under a flashlight I come to the conclusion that either this plug is heat fused to the barrel or the barrel had this part done up in multi stage injection. This applied to the cap's finale also which sadly mean its impossible to disassemble the cap simply by screwing the finale off. I've tried all manner of tricks without breaking the cap and well it stay put .. so cleaning the cap if ink do seeps in might prove to be challenging.

How did you remove the feed and the nib? I tried to pull out, after unscrewing the nib and feed from the enclosure but couldn't take the nib out. Maybe more force is needed but before I did that wanted to find how you removed it. Thanks in advance.

Just patience and exerting the force, a rubber pad to help give traction would be of help. its just friction fit

attachicon.gifIMG_20170510_101447_DRO.jpg

This is a really timely review Mech, thanks very much for putting it together.

I am just about to hit the buy button over on fleeebay but...... I'm an EF and F guy, and although this is saying a fine nib, when it's blown up it appears to be the standard Jinhao 0.5mm M nib fitted to a lot of their other pens.

Would you say it errs out to Fine/Medium or is this bang on an M nib? I can always buy some #5 nibs from elsewhere if that is the case. (FountainPenRevolution sell 5.5mm nibs that might solve your problem of a too small 5 nib). Hope you can help!

Edited by notimetoulouse

I might be old, but at least I got to see all the best Bands.

This is a really timely review Mech, thanks very much for putting it together.

I am just about to hit the buy button over on fleeebay but...... I'm an EF and F guy, and although this is saying a fine nib, when it's blown up it appears to be the standard Jinhao 0.5mm M nib fitted to a lot of their other pens.

Would you say it errs out to Fine/Medium or is this bang on an M nib? I can always buy some #5 nibs from elsewhere if that is the case. (FountainPenRevolution sell 5.5mm nibs that might solve your problem of a too small 5 nib). Hope you can help!

Not the OP, but I bought a few of these myself. They are the "standard" Jinhao 5.5 F nibs, much like you'd find in the 599. Definitely finer than the M that comes with the x450 or x750.

Well it certainly write a fine though not exactly as fine as Japanese fine ; would be more like a Japanese FM

Got mine in the mail! Very smooth. Anyone else see ink getting behind the top of the nib?

"And this is He whom I call the Child of the Good, whom the Good begat in His own likeness, to be in the visible world, in relation to sight and the things of sight, what the Good is in the intellectual world in relation to mind and the things of mind."
Plato, The Republic, Book Six

This really looks like a Sailor procolor 500. -_-

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

I turned two 992's into ED pens. Both leaked. I kept them nib down in a beaker. After about a week with one pen the cap was filled with ink. Flushed the whole thing, retried with the same result about a week later. About another week later the other one had the same issue. Threw them both in the bin

I turned two 992's into ED pens. Both leaked. I kept them nib down in a beaker. After about a week with one pen the cap was filled with ink. Flushed the whole thing, retried with the same result about a week later. About another week later the other one had the same issue. Threw them both in the bin

Did they leak when used with the cartridge converter as intended?

Edited by WatermanLamy

Did they leak when used with the cartridge converter as intended?

Excellent question! I own two of the 992s, and neither have leaked when using the cartridge converter. It appears that they were not designed to be used as an eyedropper.

On further inspection under strong light I had my doubt about how the end plug on the barrel are put on. Some others had try and successful in pulling the plug out so look like its not fused but the plug is very tight in almost all cases bar a few which leave me thinking its most likely a multi stage injection and not physically pushed onto but both method are possible. That said my clear 992 had been ED operating for weeks without any leak nor ink getting in betweem the plug so I guess it can be variation between individual samples. In any cases, ZJinhao never claim this to be ED operable so any mod is really user's own undertaking of a hack

Edited by Mech-for-i

It appears that they were not designed to be used as an eyedropper.

Bingo. Oddly enough some sellers on Taobao are still marketing it as an eyedropper pen.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small