touzeen

In 2015 when the Lamy Al Star was released in the amazing Copper Orange color it created such a buzz and made everyone want to own An Orange Pen. I did get the pen as soon as it was released and loved it but that just made the Orange Craving worse.
In the hunt for more Orange Pens,I bought a Parker Duofold Centennial but it just didn't seem "fun" and casual enough to be enjoyed.
So I ordered a couple of Blanks of Orange Crush from ExoticBlanks.com and handed them over to Mr. Subramaniam of A.S.A Pens in Chennai,India.
18358687_10154288459116008_3924556535999
Having used many A.S.A Pens over the past 3 years I knew I could trust A.S.A Pens with good craftsmanship and service.
The Iconic model from A.S.A Pens,the Nauka,had been my daily driver for almost 6 months and I was positive about getting a Nauka made in the Crushed Orange acrylic. An impatient wait of 2 months later, I received my A.S.A "Dolce" Nauka.
This pen has been review and loved many times on this Forum so I will not go into the microscopic details.If you would like you can check put the "up to the millimeter" details provided brilliantly by Mr. Sagar here:

18237907_10154288459091008_5620440004142

I hope to share my first impressions of a beloved pen in a mesmerizing material done with almost perfect craftsmanship.

I have always found the Nauka to be comfortable for my grip over extended use. I have owned the TransNauka for almost a year now and it regularly enters my pen rotation. Much has been said about the French "Influence" over the model,its unique cap threads and streamlined design so I will let some pictures do the talking. Also I find the material gives the pen a breath of fresh air.
18278331_10154288458796008_5622037557918
The pen has been constructed with very tight tolerances,comparable to my Edison Nouveau Water Lily (a.k.a Unicorn Barf). There are no rough patches,lathe marks,cross threading issues or gaps. I cannot comment on the the ease of working with the material from ExoticBlanks but visually it is Flawless. Maybe Mr. Subramaniam can comment on the ease of work ability with it.
18222630_10154288459111008_5246273294541
A few comparissons with other pens.
18222117_10154288458921008_2345746829792
Left to Right: Omas Ogiva Alba, A.S.A TransNauka, A.S.A "Dolce" Nauka, Edison Nouveau Water Lily.
18274712_10154288459231008_1350586520595
18301183_10154288458916008_1457576293870
18221663_10154288458926008_5106063534297
I went for a JoWo Steel Dual toned Medium nib which allows me to use the pen in all occasions from work to personal. Out of the box the pen wrote with a smooth wet line. A.S.A Pens also provides the full range of JoWo nibs in all their tip sizes. The pen can be used with either a Cartridge,Converter or as an Eye Dropper. I have been using it as a C/C but might try out a dark ink to see if it brings out more contrast in the barrel.
18221755_10154288666391008_8025679178478
The little things:
  • This pen is a compliment monster. Expect at least one every time you use it.
  • The material is oh so gorgeous.I would say the same as on the Delta Dolce Vita and Aurora Sole pens.
  • The problem of unscrewing the barrel while the section is still threaded to the cap has never happened to me.I practiced holding the pen right under the clip,effectively holding the section,while unscrewing on my older TransNauka.
  • Due to huge demand the Turn over of A.S.A pens is inconsistent but the communication was clear and
  • The Clip on most Indian pens has a tripod at the point of contact with the cap/fabric.This needs to change.
  • Surprisingly there is no branding on the pen.I do not know if it was intentional or missed.Anyway it is not missed.
  • The dual toned Jowo nibs are really good looking.

When I started out to write this review it was more of a showcase for the material and craftmanship of A.S.A Pens rather than Utility. But the more time I spend with this pen I have come to know that any pen cannot be Utilised to its full potential with amazing material and Craftmanship and in the respect A.S.A Pens has far exceeded my expectations as this is the only pen I want to carry with me!

Edited by touzeen

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• subbucal

• touzeen

• Namo

• amk

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review. I love the Orange crush and still have regrets selling not one but two Dolce Vita OS... The Nauka is my daily writer and the most comfortable pen I own and I do have a thought everyday for the people in Asa for making such a design available at such an excellent price. The combo of an orange Nauka really looks amazing!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Wow. That's a stunner.

I had problems with my Nauka to start with but it won me over - I realised after about a month that with plenty of other pens on my desk, it was the one that seemed to want to be in my hand all the time. But mine is a very understated pen compared to this orange crush.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Thank you for a beautiful review Touzeen..photographs you have taken are absolutely stunning..and what an exotic orange!!Congratulations!!

*Noodler's Apache Sunset or Diamine orange would have been better choice on ink..imo

Sagar Bhowmick

I have a Nauka (the demonstrator version), i like it, but that orange version, i love!!

Good idea, great realization... thanks for sharing!

Hey there, The orange is not my fancied colour, but must say this looks tempting. Is this pen possible with other nibs like a Bock nib unit?

Hey there, The orange is not my fancied colour, but must say this looks tempting. Is this pen possible with other nibs like a Bock nib unit?

Dear Sir,

The blank for this pen was provided by Mr. Touzeen.. If you provide me the blank and Bock nib unit, I can make it for you.

Best regards

Subramaniam

<p>

In 2015 when the Lamy Al Star was released in the amazing Copper Orange color it created such a buzz and made everyone want to own An Orange Pen. I did get the pen as soon as it was released and loved it but that just made the Orange Craving worse.

In the hunt for more Orange Pens,I bought a Parker Duofold Centennial but it just didn't seem "fun" and casual enough to be enjoyed.

So I ordered a couple of Blanks of Orange Crush from ExoticBlanks.com and handed them over to Mr. Subramaniam of A.S.A Pens in Chennai,India.

18358687_10154288459116008_3924556535999

Having used many A.S.A Pens over the past 3 years I knew I could trust A.S.A Pens with good craftsmanship and service.

The Iconic model from A.S.A Pens,the Nauka,had been my daily driver for almost 6 months and I was positive about getting a Nauka made in the Crushed Orange acrylic. An impatient wait of 2 months later, I received my A.S.A "Dolce" Nauka.

This pen has been review and loved many times on this Forum so I will not go into the microscopic details.If you would like you can check put the "up to the millimeter" details provided brilliantly by Mr. Sagar here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/300214-asa-nauka-review-of-a-classic/

18237907_10154288459091008_5620440004142

I hope to share my first impressions of a beloved pen in a mesmerizing material done with almost perfect craftsmanship.

I have always found the Nauka to be comfortable for my grip over extended use. I have owned the TransNauka for almost a year now and it regularly enters my pen rotation. Much has been said about the French "Influence" over the model,its unique cap threads and streamlined design so I will let some pictures do the talking. Also I find the material gives the pen a breath of fresh air.

18278331_10154288458796008_5622037557918

The pen has been constructed with very tight tolerances,comparable to my Edison Nouveau Water Lily (a.k.a Unicorn Barf). There are no rough patches,lathe marks,cross threading issues or gaps. I cannot comment on the the ease of working with the material from ExoticBlanks but visually it is Flawless. Maybe Mr. Subramaniam can comment on the ease of work ability with it.

18222630_10154288459111008_5246273294541

A few comparissons with other pens.

18222117_10154288458921008_2345746829792

Left to Right: Omas Ogiva Alba, A.S.A TransNauka, A.S.A "Dolce" Nauka, Edison Nouveau Water Lily.

18274712_10154288459231008_1350586520595

18301183_10154288458916008_1457576293870

18221663_10154288458926008_5106063534297

I went for a JoWo Steel Dual toned Medium nib which allows me to use the pen in all occasions from work to personal. Out of the box the pen wrote with a smooth wet line. A.S.A Pens also provides the full range of JoWo nibs in all their tip sizes. The pen can be used with either a Cartridge,Converter or as an Eye Dropper. I have been using it as a C/C but might try out a dark ink to see if it brings out more contrast in the barrel.

18221755_10154288666391008_8025679178478

The little things:

• This pen is a compliment monster. Expect at least one every time you use it.
  • The material is oh so gorgeous.I would say the same as on the Delta Dolce Vita and Aurora Sole pens.
  • The problem of unscrewing the barrel while the section is still threaded to the cap has never happened to me.I practiced holding the pen right under the clip,effectively holding the section,while unscrewing on my older TransNauka.
  • Due to huge demand the Turn over of A.S.A pens is inconsistent but the communication was clear and
  • The Clip on most Indian pens has a tripod at the point of contact with the cap/fabric.This needs to change.
  • Surprisingly there is no branding on the pen.I do not know if it was intentional or missed.Anyway it is not missed.
  • The dual toned Jowo nibs are really good looking.
When I started out to write this review it was more of a showcase for the material and craftmanship of A.S.A Pens rather than Utility. But the more time I spend with this pen I have come to know that any pen cannot be Utilised to its full potential with amazing material and Craftmanship and in the respect A.S.A Pens has far exceeded my expectations as this is the only pen I want to carry with me!

Thank you sir for the opportunity to make this beautiful pen for you. I am sure you will enjoy it for long time to come, my best wishes for Joyous writing with this pen.

The review is beautiful with excellent pictures....very well captured.

Best regards

Subramaniam

Orange seems to be the Colour of day, with ASA Tangerine scheduled to launch here anytime.

Thanks

Thanks for the review. I love the Orange crush and still have regrets selling not one but two Dolce Vita OS... The Nauka is my daily writer and the most comfortable pen I own and I do have a thought everyday for the people in Asa for making such a design available at such an excellent price. The combo of an orange Nauka really looks amazing!

Thanks a lot for sharing your love for your Nauka, and for your kind words for us in ASA... Wish you many happy writings with Nauka

Wow. That's a stunner.

I had problems with my Nauka to start with but it won me over - I realised after about a month that with plenty of other pens on my desk, it was the one that seemed to want to be in my hand all the time. But mine is a very understated pen compared to this orange crush.

Thanks. And glad to note that Nauka has become your go to pen. I am aware of our communication on the initial hiccup..glad that it's fine now.

Best regards

Subramaniam

Thank you for a beautiful review Touzeen..photographs you have taken are absolutely stunning..and what an exotic orange!!Congratulations!!

*Noodler's Apache Sunset or Diamine orange would have been better choice on ink..imo

I am still drooling under the beautiful pictured of Nauka from your review of it... Thanks a ton, for making the pen get lively in pictures.

I have a Nauka (the demonstrator version), i like it, but that orange version, i love!!

Good idea, great realization... thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot

Dear Touzeen,

Congratulations on acquiring such a stunning beauty and thank you for sharing such an informative and visually pleasing review. Wishingyou many many years of happy writing with the instrument.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

That's a fantastic looking pen. Just my standard complaining about too many turns to close the cap. I swear I will be eating only Indian food for a month if any of the artisans from India develops successful system of closing in 1.5, max 2 turns!

• 3 weeks later...

The A.S.A Tangerine is now available for order from www.asapens.in

18671296_854887174670329_199951795532033

Use Coupon code TAN10 for an additional 10% discount.