Parker 51... ...or... A Lamy 2000?

AL01

If you are into writing fine lines, the L2K ain't the pen for you. Even the L2K EF writes lines as wide as a japanese medium. Same as the Pelikan EF, unfortunately.

Apparently there's some variation there. I've had two EF L2K's, and the second one is most definitely right in the range of Japanese F nibs that I have, from both Platinum and Pilot.

This may well be another "you'll have to try it first" determination.

Edited by Water Ouzel

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AL01

• Albert26

• cellmatrix

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Aggoo,

Thank you for this illuminating post. :)

No, I haven't considered a 61... I never even thought about a 61 (or a 75) as an alternative to the 51.

How does the 51 and 61 compare and contrast in your opinion?

- Anthony

I have found the 61 a little more modern in feel and the nibs to be more consistent, although my sample size is only small. I have had 5 or 6 P51s and maybe 3 or 4 P61s, but the 61s have been nicer to my mind. My current 61 is a solid 18K gold overlaid pen and is absolutely amazing. The nib is a fine, and properly fine, yet still perfectly smooth and reliable.

The main complaint people have with 61s is the complex capiliary system, which admittedly has been the filling systems in my pens. Perhaps I have been lucky, but I have never had a problem with them. Cleaning them on the other hand - just forget it. It takes ages and ages to properly remove old ink. For me, it's not been a problem because I have too many pens to be bothered about changing inks in pens, but if it's a EDC, it would be a concern.

Later 61s have cartridge/converter fillers like a 45/75 and are going to be easier to manage. Once again, 61s seem to be cheaper than 51s at least in the US. The examples out of the UK are generally in much better condition - many seem to have been almost never used and cost from 20-50 pounds for a good example. I'd say the lack of hype compared to the 51 means you get a higher quality pen for the price, and it does have a more modern feel in the hand.

I never got on with the 75. Heresy to some, but it is too slim for my hand. The 45 though with a 14K gold nib is a very cheap and reliable pen, and may be a good entry to Parker to see if you like the general feel. Not too different in writing quality to either 51 or 61, but with a little more give in the nib. Try to get a flighter, as the all-plastic models are exceedingly light weight.

I'm probably confusing you more than helping, but if you have found the Lamy not to your liking, you have a lot of great options with 1950-1970s Parkers, almost all of which are excellent writers.

Thank you Aggoo; I had forgot about the 61 with the Star Trek emblem :rolleyes: on the tip of the section... but I fear it might be so similar to the 51, that I'll have the same problems with it that I had with the 51... and yes, like you, I think the 75 might be too slim for my tastes... I prefer girthier pens... not sure why? I have large hands, but they're hardly bear paws; I don't have RA... I just seem to find them more comfortable to hold.

But thank you very much for re-acquainting me with these oft forgotten classics. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I like 21s....

I like 45s...

I like 61s...

But all of them have cracked.

So no more polystyrene pens for me.

I like 21s....

I like 45s...

I like 61s...

But all of them have cracked.

So no more polystyrene pens for me.

Hi AL01,

When you get your 51, make sure you get a pre-'65 model. Sometime in the late '60s/early '70s, they introduced the Mk. III which used the same flimsy plastic as the models you mention.

If you want DuPont Lucite, (which is also developing cracking issues as it ages, but not nearly as prevalent as the other ones), go pre-'65.

This site will help you differentiate:

https://parkerpens.net/parker51.html

Good luck with your quest. :)

- Anthony

EDIT: Link added.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I've long been interested in the Lamy 2000, but haven't got one yet (and I'm kicking myself for not, at least, touching one when I went to a pen show).

For those who own the 2000... Is it heavy? Heavier than, say, a Waterman Carene, or a Sheaffer Legacy?

What nib do you have, and does a Medium write on the fat side?

If I buy one, it will be from teh innerwebz, without even fondling the instrument. Et cetera and so forth. (I was tempted to post this in the notorious 'Lamy 2k sucks' thread, but decided, naaaahhhh...). ;)

Thanks for any info you can offer.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Hi AL01,

When you get your 51, make sure you get a pre-'65 model. Sometime in the late '60s/early '70s, they introduced the Mk. III which used the same flimsy plastic as the models you mention.

If you want DuPont Lucite, (which is also developing cracking issues as it ages, but not nearly as prevalent as the other ones), go pre-'65.

This site will help you differentiate:

https://parkerpens.net/parker51.html

Good luck with your quest. :)

- Anthony

EDIT: Link added.

YESSSSSSSIIIRR! I will do that. :P

Parkers are some of the sweetest writers out there. The Vector is even a sweet writer.

I've long been interested in the Lamy 2000, but haven't got one yet (and I'm kicking myself for not, at least, touching one when I went to a pen show).

For those who own the 2000... Is it heavy? Heavier than, say, a Waterman Carene, or a Sheaffer Legacy?

If I buy one, it will be from teh innerwebz, without even fondling the instrument. Et cetera and so forth. (I was tempted to post this in the notorious 'Lamy 2k sucks' thread, but decided, naaaahhhh...). ;)

Ya meen da wurld wyde web? :P

The 2K should be slightly lighter than a Prelude. An Al-Star will give you a decent range of the weight of the 2K.

Hi Sailor,

You were wise to avoid the fray in the aforementioned thread. :)

Weight is a relative thing... balance is more important. ;)

While self-agrandizement is something I try to avoid; I think all of your concerns can be addressed here, (you may want to read the entire review, but if you scroll down towards the end, an FPN member asks the same question you just did):

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/323584-review-lamy-2000-what-i-like-to-call-the-l2k/

If you have any other questions, please lmk. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hi Sailor,

You were wise to avoid the fray in the aforementioned thread. :)

Weight is a relative thing... balance is more important. ;)

While self-agrandizement is something I try to avoid; I think all of your concerns can be addressed here, (you may want to read the entire review, but if you scroll down towards the end, an FPN member asks the same question you just did):https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/323584-review-lamy-2000-what-i-like-to-call-the-l2k/

If you have any other questions, please lmk. :)

- Anthony

Thanks! That helps a lot. :)

Thanks! That helps a lot. :)

You're welcome. Excellent. :)

I think the 2K's material is off putting. Oh well...

I still have time till that promised day in late July...

How so? I personally find it to feel almost like raw wood. and the grip section is just so un-freaking-believably smooth into the barrel, the fit and finish of the L2K is beyond even visconti.

It's definitely a little glassy and crunchy to uncap/cap for the first week, but that goes away quickly.

Also, massdrop has the L2K for $99 right now... so seriously consider it, it'll never be that cheap again (I feel burned paying $160 to goulet for the gift set. all I got was a nice box and a bottle of ink that I already had and absolutely despise)

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

It's a medium weight pen. A little lighter than a pilot metro, a hair heavier than a Lamy Al-star (If you picked one up after the other you'd be unable to tell the difference) The stainless grip makes it slightly front heavy, which makes it very well balanced and easily changes positions. It's no schaeffer craftsman in terms of lightness, but it's extremely comfortable for extremely extended writing.

Like I said above, massdrop has them for $99 right now, a massive deal.

I have an F, and it writes true to western F's. Wet, smooth, perfectly usable reverse EF.

Personally, since I use mine at work all day on bad paper, I have to be very mindful of inks, generally sailor jentles since they are immensely well behaved, so I'd have gone for an EF if people hadn't had me worried about the "lamy sweet spot"

the sweet spot is nonsense. I can rotate mine REALLY far and it doesn't get skippy or scratchy.

It's not only one of the best fountain pens out there, it's a piece of history. Just buy one in the size you like, and it won't disappoint.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

My senses say: Carene is much heavier than the Lamy 2000. Carene looks to be metal (brass?) under black paint. The Sheaffer Legacy is much heavier than the Carene.

L2K hefts like a traditional fountain pen, from back when people expected to write for hours. It's much closer to the weight of a Parker 51 than to a Carene.

Why do I use the Lamy 2000 so rarely? Mainly: the grip is all metal and too slippery. The section design seems to slope sharply toward the nib, adding to the slip. If you can put up with the grip and the "rabbit ears" that hold the cap, then it's a really good pen. The nib is very good.

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Ok guys n' gals...

The time has come.

I am starting to look for a P51.

I don't need any suggestions....

But my choice is final.

The 2000 is beautiful.

But it's slippery for my dry hands, and feels tooooo big.

A 149 is more comfortable for me than a 2K.

Maybe I will buy one when I am older.

Sooner or later, I will buy and reveal my exact specimen.

But thanks.

From the bottom of me heart.

Thanks.

Hopefully I get me P51 sooner or later.

Thanks Again, Al.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Lamy 2000 on its way, with EF nib. Now all I want to know is: what ink? ;)

Are they wet or dry writers? Thanks...

Lamy 2000 are wet writers (some say fire hose...)

For mine use Lamy Blue-Black or Platinum Carbon Blue

They should be wetter than Safari...

Pelikan, Lamy, Parker...

Should work out well with your 2K...

Lamys are wonderful writers.