Parker 51... ...or... A Lamy 2000?

AL01

Count me as another Aurora 88 vote. Of the Parker 51 and the Lamy 2000, I'd choose the Lamy. Personally I find the P51 extremely overrated. The Lamy wins too if you want something easier to clean, as well as EDC.

But of the 3, the Aurora 88 is the better writer...by a mile. I loved mine so much I bought another.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AL01

• Albert26

• cellmatrix

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a matter of taste, of course. I find the 88 to look more vintage than the 51. The 51 was a design way ahead of its time. The same goes for the 2000, it was launched in the 60s, and you would say it's the latest hit when you see one for the first time.

Well, as is already said many times, it IS a matter of taste. Personally, I don't care much for the Lamy 2000.
The Parker 51 on the other hand... I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine.
It's understated, but a very nice design, and very futuristic for the time it was made in.
It's a very very dependable pen, too. Mine writes whenever I want it too, without hesitation.
And I love the feel of it in my hand. It is just a perfect fit.
Also, there is of course a lot of history to the parker 51. I don't know if any important peace treaties were signed using a Lamy 2000... But, that's something that you either care for or don't, I guess.

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

Both pens have an interesting backstory. I am well aware of the history behind the P51. The 2K on the other hand has a very subtle design. I dig both pens. The 2K's design is phenomenally understated. Both pens are a triumph of design and function.

Well, as is already said many times, it IS a matter of taste. Personally, I don't care much for the Lamy 2000.

The Parker 51 on the other hand... I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine.

It's understated, but a very nice design, and very futuristic for the time it was made in.

It's a very very dependable pen, too. Mine writes whenever I want it too, without hesitation.

And I love the feel of it in my hand. It is just a perfect fit.

Also, there is of course a lot of history to the parker 51. I don't know if any important peace treaties were signed using a Lamy 2000... But, that's something that you either care for or don't, I guess.

And ya know what's the funny part... I used both! :P

Now the question is: which one can/should I get first?

Here are their objective strong suits from my experience owning many of each of these pens:

• the Parker "51" Aerometric, if filled properly, is the most reliable of the bunch (both in terms of dry-out and burping/leaking). The Lamy comes in second and the Aurora last in this respect.
  • the Aurora 88 provides the most responsive experience by a mile--some are truly full flex verging on wet noodle. The meaty section makes this one of the few affordable vintage flex pens that will be comfortable for those who prefer modern wide-sectioned behemoths. The 2000 nibs do have a little give under pressure but nothing that really influences normal writing other than allowing for a more forgiving contact radius. The Parker is a complete nail, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
  • the Lamy is the only pen of the three that can be disassembled for cleaning. In this way it also has the best filling system. For the person who is always switching between heavily saturated inks, the others--epseically the "51"--would be infuriating; I would only recommend the 2000.
  • The Parker has the most functional clip--it slides with absolute ease onto everything.
Edited by ele

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go with the 2000 first. I can always find a P51 in the wild, 'specially back home in Wisconsin. I won't, however, go with the 88... It just doesn't suit me all that well.

The only Lamy I've ever found that I like to hold is the Logo. I find that the L2k's cap retention springs annoy my right thumb pad, so I'd go for the "51". But aero, not vacumatic, cos vacs typically require a pro to restore, while an aero usually just requires a flush-and-fill. And I'd pick an ink and stick with it (my Dad only ever used Parker Quink Permanent Black with Solv-X in his, but he WAS a devoted minimalist; I cannot imagine him getting ANY other "51" than black and lustraloy). Those collectors are hard to get flushed clean.

But I'd toss both aside for one of those purty Pelikan M200 demonstrators, especially the purple or cognac. My Dad's "51" doesn't get anywhere near the use of my blue marbled Pelikan M200, my first Pen of a Lifetime.

But get the one YOU like. My considerations may have no meaning for you.

I will look at a Pelikan of some sort. I did try the M200... Nice nib, didn't feel right in the hand. M400, smooth yet unresponsive nib, but nice body. Maybe a 400 or 140?

Someday...

Like I said before, I will get both, but I will do my best to find a P51 in the wild.

The 400 is actually quite a good alternative to the Parker "51" in terms of performance. They write extremely well and are reliably carried wherever you go. I would actually reccomend it over the Aurora 88 as a "daily carry" sort of pen. And the removable nib is a huge upside the Parker doesn't have. (The 400 cap is also easy to completely disassemble to clean ink gunk buildup.) I'm sure the 140 is also great in these ways (at least in terms of the filling mechanism and removable nib) but I can't speak for its reliability as I haven't owned one.

Huh... I heard that the caps are prone to cracking. Yeah, they do seem better than 88s.

For me the 2000 has a section which always seems slippery and unusable . I find the 51 more comfortable to use for that reason .

p51 Aerometric filler is my every day to go pen. Simply reliable and beautifully crafted in classic American style. It has never failed me for the past 20 years of daily use. However, if you have funds buy both and see for yourself. I am afraid of the modern pens and it is my fault. P51!

I wholeheartedly agree. Now is the hardest time for finding a pen... The wait. I hope I can find a P51 in the wild... That would be the best.

My L2k is a lot smoother, and for a few sentences I prefer it.

For pages of writing, the 51 wins.

I wholeheartedly agree. Now is the hardest time for finding a pen... The wait. I hope I can find a P51 in the wild... That would be the best.

Get one from a well known restorer. Spend a little extra. It's worth it to not have issues later on.

I've had all three, currently only have the 2K and the 88. None of the three pens ever gave any trouble, all have written perfectly from day one. In the end I removed the 51 from my rotation because it is aesthetically the least pleasing. Rather a humdrum design, externally. The 2K and 88 are far more interesting to me in this regard. Also, as I've said elsewhere, most 51 nibs seem to be the fountain pen equivalent of a ballpoint pen. If you want to put down an unvaryied line then it does just fine. Anything else and you're looking for nibs that will see the price rise dramatically.

Italic modification on a p51 is around 50-60 dollars. I've got a couple of these and they are really nice

I've had all three, currently only have the 2K and the 88. None of the three pens ever gave any trouble, all have written perfectly from day one. In the end I removed the 51 from my rotation because it is aesthetically the least pleasing. Rather a humdrum design, externally. The 2K and 88 are far more interesting to me in this regard. Also, as I've said elsewhere, most 51 nibs seem to be the fountain pen equivalent of a ballpoint pen. If you want to put down an unvaryied line then it does just fine. Anything else and you're looking for nibs that will see the price rise dramatically.

That's quite interesting. I personally think that the vacs look better than the aeros. I am looking for a wet fine nib. We aren't talking about vintage Pelikans, so specialty nibs are out of the question...