Parker 51... ...or... A Lamy 2000?

AL01

I have one. I use it for salads, though. Would leaning a P51 would be like a P21???

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AL01

• Albert26

• cellmatrix

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have used both and as far as writing experience consistency of ink flow, reliability, the 51 wins hands down. Another reason to get a p51 instead of a new Lamy? Why consume more resources on the manufacture of a new pen when you could instead be repurposing a perfectly good used pen? To me it's kind of like rescuing a dog at the shelter versus buying a puppy at the pet store and I guess I am more of a getting a dog at the shelter kind of person. There are millions of p51s out there just waiting to be given a new home sitting in some estate or garage sale and they are probably the most durable fountain pens ever made. Personally I prefer the vacs but if you like to change inks often then the aerometric is the way to go.

Good point. But from the person I am going to buy it from, both will probably cost around 120$. Any grievances against the 2000?

Vacs seem interesting, but I want a P51 that can kick butt on an airplane. It seems as though that the Vac isn't too good in planes...

Or is it??

(BTW: I have intentions of getting both... I will probably get the 2K first, but I am wide open to suggestions...)

Edited by AL01

Good point. But from the person I am going to buy it from, both will probably cost around 120$. Any grievances against the 2000?

Vacs seem interesting, but I want a P51 that can kick butt on an airplane. It seems as though that the Vac isn't too good in planes...

Or is it??

(BTW: I have intentions of getting both... I will probably get the 2K first, but I am wide open to suggestions...)

You don't have to pay 120$ for a p51 - for example Pen fisher is one our best restorers here at FPN just sold a beautiful p51 special in the classifieds for 75$ As far as vacs on planes mine does quite well and has not leaked past few flights. If it does it's just a couple drops in the cap which are easily washed out.

edit to add: my mistake, the p51 pen fisher sold in classifieds was a special, not an aero. Specials are great pens too, but lack the aero's airplane friendly breather tube.

I would add something, if it's a pen for intensive use and you post, I would go for the 51. The lamy 2000 feels somehow unbalanced posted, or at least for me. Nothing serious, I can write perfectly with it posted, but it feels better unposted. The 51, on the other hand, feels better posted to me.

You don't have to pay 120$ for a p51 - for example Pen fisher is one our best restorers here at FPN just sold a very nice p51 aero in the classifieds for 75$ As far as vacs on planes mine does quite well and has not leaked past few flights. If it does it's just a couple drops in the cap which are easily washed out.

... Thanks for the reference. I check 'em out. Now I am getting confused... :P I think it doesn't matter if the pen is a Vac or Aero, (besides ink capacity and feel.)

EDIT: I just found Pen Fisher. I'll keep him in mind. His restorations appear to be of top notch quality.

Edited by AL01

I would add something, if it's a pen for intensive use and you post, I would go for the 51. The lamy 2000 feels somehow unbalanced posted, or at least for me. Nothing serious, I can write perfectly with it posted, but it feels better unposted. The 51, on the other hand, feels better posted to me.

I've not tried that. BTW, I don't think an Aurora 88 is for me. They look like fantastic pens, but getting one will give me a few migraines... :P But I will try one out if I do see one in a Pen (fill in the blank), or in the wild.

Thanks for the Suggestions. I may or may not be able to see the 2K or P51 for a while.... It may be some time before I can get one of 'em.

Perfect! Thanks!

I'll check 'em out.... I'll see which one I can find for the best price.

I'll keep ya'll, (Texan - Wisconsinite combo), updated.

Thanks Again, AL01

Have both, few 2K and several P51 (six or so aero and one vac). For writing (and well, overall) I would choose a P51 Aerometric with a nice stubby nib (the nib and how the pens writes trumps everything else for me).

Lamy 2K is of course also an interesting and iconic design but the section shape & finish makes my hand tire much faster than that of the P51. It gets pretty slick if your hands sweat and due to it being more conical (I like to grip the pen pretty close to the nib) you unconsciously exert more force to keep your grip. This might not be an issue for people whose hands do not sweat and who grip the pen further away from the nib (maybe with the cap posted?).

Hmmm, ink capacity, I think 2K trumps P51 Aero on that front? But yeah, YMMV etc. Both are classic designs but with the P51 you do get more options.

I'm eyeing a 51 on Ebay... Let's see how long it will take me to get the guts to make the person an offer. :P

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-51-Vacumatic-Cordovan-Brown-Lustraloy-Cap-fine-nib-/172655061925?hash=item28330b2ba5:g:Sd0AAOSwhvFZBz1G

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-51-Semi-Green-Demonstrator-Fountain-Pen-/292102594063?hash=item4402abde0f:g:vEcAAOSwhvFZBwM2

Would something like these guys make good EDC candidates?

(Not gonna buy them now, but these two appeal to my senses.)

Count me as another Aurora 88 vote. Of the Parker 51 and the Lamy 2000, I'd choose the Lamy. Personally I find the P51 extremely overrated. The Lamy wins too if you want something easier to clean, as well as EDC.

But of the 3, the Aurora 88 is the better writer...by a mile. I loved mine so much I bought another.

Those vacs look really nice... I had no idea that there was a Danish production of the parker 51. Mine is in burgundy with a gold cap, aerometric, British made, from the 50s. Beautiful working pen

Edited by Albert26

Count me as another Aurora 88 vote. Of the Parker 51 and the Lamy 2000, I'd choose the Lamy. Personally I find the P51 extremely overrated. The Lamy wins too if you want something easier to clean, as well as EDC.

But of the 3, the Aurora 88 is the better writer...by a mile. I loved mine so much I bought another.

I also want another Aurora 88, with a gold cap. The one I have is a very early model, 1xxxxx serial number with a nikargenta cap. It's the only pen I actually need. The others, to enjoy and collect

... An 88... More info please. I thought the 88 was nothing more than a side choice, but it seems to be a good contender here.

nice looking pens but I prefer the more established sellers.

Yep. The pens do seem nice. The more established sellers on the 'Bay seem to be on a break now.

... An 88... More info please. I thought the 88 was nothing more than a side choice, but it seems to be a good contender here.

Er... where to start with?

The A88 was a pen designed in Italy in 1946 by Marcello Nizzoli. It is inspired by the Parker 51, with some modifications that, in my view, render it a better pen than the 51. These are:

- The nib: it is semi-hooded, instead of hooded. It is like the Lamy 2000 nib. This nib came in the staggering number of over 30 point types, for all tastes: rigid nibs, flex, nibs, oblique nibs, super broad nibs, extra fine nibs, cursive nibs... Mine is a semi-flex, fine. Glorious. It gives feedback, but the pleasant feedback that allows you to be in full control of what you are doing. I don't like buttery smooth nibs, because my handwriting gets horrible with them.

- The material: the celluloid used it's really tough and hard. I don't know exactly what the material of the 51 is, but feels more plasticky in comparison. Also, the section and the turning knob of the earlier models are made of ebonite, which is very ergonomic for long writing sessions. No problem with sweaty fingers.

- The filling system: this pen is a piston filler that holds over 2mL of ink + has a lovely red or green colored ink window near the section that allows you to check the amount of ink. You cannot check the ink level with the 51, you will have to fill it to be on the safe side, "just in case". The Lamy 2000 does have an ink window, but it's so narrow that it's unusable almost.

So, all in all, unbeatable everyday pen. I also find the look very attractive and elegant, it keeps the cigar shape reminiscent of Montblancs and european pens in general. Some people reported that their pens leaked. I didn't have this problem with mine, but if such is the case, it can be easily fixed. I can recommend you a trustworthy seller to buy from:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/walipen?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I bought mine from her, Valentina d'Aleo is her name, and also other pens. which have all been trouble-free, as described.

The only real drawback to an Aurora 88 is maintenance. The Lamy 2000 has this advantage over. Otherwise, it is all kinds of awesome.

I have a 1950 original generation model with a semi-flex Fine nib. BEST. NIB. EVER. Period. But this one I leave at home because I don't want to lose it or break the clip (which functions but isn't springy).

The one I carry around is an 88P, from the mid-late 1960's, and it was NOS. The nib is rigid but still glorious. The piston mechanism is as bulletproof as a Pelikan, and it has a great matte finish (like a skinnier Lamy 2000).

In defense of the Lamy's ink window...it functions just like Montblanc's. If you can see it, you need a refill. Otherwise don't worry.

First, I appreciate your arguments for the 88.

I now know why the 88 doesn't appeal to me.

It's design doesn't speak to me. It's incoherent. A rounded cap, yet a triangular nib. A chunky slick body, only to be interrupted by a nib that seems to be slapped on there.

Forgive me. I love design. I want a pen that can write well and can look beautiful at the same time.

I also can't find the 88 in the US. I can't just go to my local pen store and test it out. The 2K and the 51, on the other hand, can be tested out at any pen shop.

No. The Aurora 88 is not for me. But if you use this topic for your own reference, keep in mind that the 88 is great contender to the 2K and the 51. If you can, check it out.