Show Me The Wear On Your Matte Black Vanishing Point?

Heldin

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heldin

• FOUR X FOUR

• TSherbs

• JemC

I posted these in a similar thread at the beginning of the year, so these images are circa January. That said, it looks the same today as it's been in rotation less than usual.

fpn_1485803640__mbvp2.jpg

I think that's kind of cool looking! Man, you really punished your pen. Put it in a pocket with keys or something? It would be a fun project to intentionally introduce wear and then seal it so that the "worn effect" is preserved.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

That pen began matte? jeez.

Yeah, I've had it about 6 years. For five of those years It lived in my pants pocket with my keys, leatherman, and flashlight. Occasionally I'll carry one of those Kickstarter pen bodies for the Hi-Tec-C or ballpoint (so Titanium, Aluminum, with a jagged edge here or there) which have also attributed to the wear on my VP.

I love it; it's still going strong and the battle scars are easily worth the pleasure of using a convenient FP in tons of situations.

I think that's kind of cool looking! Man, you really punished your pen. Put it in a pocket with keys or something? It would be a fun project to intentionally introduce wear and then seal it so that the "worn effect" is preserved.

I also think it looks cool! It shows heavy use, and that's awesome.

I'm not sure Pilot cares about more business, but if they do, it would seem a smart thing for them would be to offer an all brass model the way the Kaweco Sports do for rugged folks like JemC who want to carry around a good, reliable fountain pen which is also a beautiful, functional and consistent writer.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Here's mine - it's about 5 years old; I had babied it for a while, and then fell down a flight of concrete stairs with it in my hand. It took a lot of scratches, so I took some sandpaper to it. :)

fpn_1494009190__fullsizerender_2.jpg

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Here's mine - it's about 5 years old; I had babied it for a while, and then fell down a flight of concrete stairs with it in my hand. It took a lot of scratches, so I took some sandpaper to it. :)

You did a great job. This looks awesome. Does it write well?

I posted these in a similar thread at the beginning of the year, so these images are circa January. That said, it looks the same today as it's been in rotation less than usual.

fpn_1485803555__mbvp1.jpg

fpn_1485803640__mbvp2.jpg

Your pen looks great like this

Thanks!

Yeah, it writes really well. For me, Pilot nibs are among the best for having just enough feedback to give me a sense of the page.

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

All these pens look awesome! I bought the matte black yesterday and I love it! Thanks for all the responses :)

All these pens look awesome! I bought the matte black yesterday and I love it! Thanks for all the responses :)

Congrats! Are you going to try keeping it pristine, or intentionally introduce wear? Or if pristine, will you send it back to Pilot if it ends up scratched or try making it look like some of the pens here? :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Looks great! I also love your pen wrap. Where did you get it?

Congrats! Are you going to try keeping it pristine, or intentionally introduce wear? Or if pristine, will you send it back to Pilot if it ends up scratched or try making it look like some of the pens here? :)

I'm going to keep it in a pen pouch, but if the finish does wear off I won't send it back to pilot. I like the way the 'natural' damage looks :)

I had no idea this finish wore off like that and to echo other posts, I think it's pretty cool. A patina of productivity.

This is the only thread that actually makes me want to buy a pen NOW.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I had one that wore through the black very quickly, especially around the clip and plunger. Even more concerning was a problem with the clip. Before I had owned it for six months, the clip (and the attached portion of the pen around the door) came off. I was able to re-attach it, but it was never really secure after that. I mentioned the pen's issues to the folks at the store I purchased it from (Dromgoole's in Houston) and they offered to send it in for replacement. The next time I visited, they swapped the pen out and gave me a new one.

I have had that one for over a year and it shows no sign of wear - none at all. I have read that Pilot has changed the way that they do the finish on the Matte Black (and, I guess, the Matte Blue) to make it more durable. If they have, I can say that they have done a good job. I haven't changed how I use the pen. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.