Onoto Seem To Be Back?!?!?!

ralfstc

Hi folks,

I'm afraid I rather lost track of all the news concerning Onoto, but thought that you might be interested to know that the website is currently alive and kicking, and I was able to order a Magna just the other day. Does this make it a zombie-zombie-pen-company?

Sorry if this has already been discussed to death!!!

R.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• praxim

• ralfstc

• fountainbel

• david6

I thank you for alerting us to the new models available on the website. I watched the site for new arrivals until I was convinced I had imagined them being available. It is a pleasure to see them & I hope this is the beginning of many more to come.

The Amber Pearl Magna Classic looks gorgeous.

Regards

Richard

I've been lusting after that colour pen ever since James showed it to me last year - it's stunning!

They have changed some design features - the Doctor's pen has a reworked clip and replaces a single silver band with two thin silver and one gold. Shame to see plunger filler has gone.

Edited by PeterBeoworld

The Amber Pearl Magna Classic looks gorgeous.

Regards

Richard

... Especially the chased version!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Price of the Onoto Magna Classic pens seems to have gone up a lot in price. The.basic price looks ok but to upgrade to a gold nib is now very expensive and then there's the cost of having added weight to the pen. Far to pricey for me sadly.

Beautiful pens !

But I'm somewhat confused : are there any fountain pens left which feature their famous plunger filler system?

I've checked on several versions, but all these are convertor/cartridge….

Francis

The modern company has only made a few very very expensive plunger versions, which is too bad because that really is the hallmark of Onotos. I don't know if there are plans to do it again.

I bought a steel nibbed magna a couple of weeks ago, to "top off" my collection of vintage Onotos. It's a handsome pen, but AJ50 is correct that upgrades are all quite pricey.

As for the weight as a spare part, the contact form of the website works well, and I think you could expect a reply from the incredibly helpful Mr Li within 24 hours.

R.

I too was disappointed at the lack of a modern plunge filler. While they are attractive pens they do not grab me as being Onotos.

Several months ago I frivolously correlated measures of price, weight and year for all of my pens, discovering that weight increased with year and, still more significantly, price increased with weight. Onoto selling weight as an add-on seemed to me the apotheosis of the trend.

X

Oh my. The amber is beautiful, but sadly now way, way out of my reach. The green pearl that I ordered at the London Show last year is likely to be my last Onoto.

A fine example of aspirational pricing.

Praxim, interesting! Did you use constant dollars?

R.

No. Oz dollars paid in 2016-2017. However (and not to address it too seriously) the scatterplot held up through the latter decades.

Having since bought some modern light Auroras as well as an original Onoto Magna, I think there might today be more deviation today.

Despite my mild digs at weight-for-dollars, Onoto's (modern) action makes sense to me. Why not have the pen tailored to your preferences for weight and balance, when this can be done without visual impact?

X

Onoto's (modern) action makes sense to me. Why not have the pen tailored to your preferences for weight and balance, when this can be done without visual impact?

Skipping the choice for buying their excellent plunger filler does not look a wise commercial decision to me……..

Francis

• 1 year later...

Skipping the choice for buying their excellent plunger filler does not look a wise commercial decision to me……..

Francis

Just noticed this while searching for something else.

I agree :). i bought their modern plunge filler early this year.

X