Prithwijit

Introduction

I recently had an opportunity to act as an enabler by helping a colleague and friend of mine acquire a special custom fountain pen. This particular gentlemen has a very fine collection of writing equipments including models from almost all premier brands and certainly a few Parkers. But his heart was set on acquiring a classic all ebonite Duofold in glorious orange hues but with a contemporary filling system. Since such a chimera doesn't exist in the real world, we set about creating a pen that looks and behaves like a modern Duofold Centennial but with an orange ebonite cap and barrel with black finials. We approached Mr. Manoj Deshmukh of Fosforpens who was willing to take up the challenge.

Since this pen was meant for someone else. I didn't dip it or ink it to test the nib. Hence I wont call it a full review in the true sense of the term. Instead, let us consider this a pictorial essay of the pen that was finally created.

Design

The Duofold is a classic design and has spawned innumerable variants and knock-offs for over ninety years ever since it first appeared in the scene circa 1921. Any fountain pen enthusiast is well aware of the design and words cannot express its simplistic but sophisticated elegance. So instead of subjecting my limited vocabulary to unnecessary stress, I will let the pictures do the talking.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Fosfor%20Duofold/IMGP5199_zps2pvd355h.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Fosfor%20Duofold/IMGP5200_zpscyiraq2a.jpg

Size and Balance

At 137mm capped, the Duofold would be considered a mid-sized pen by contemporary standards. Being made of ebonite makes the delightfully light and easy to handle. It is superbly balanced and comfortable to write for extended periods. Even with the cap posted, the pen retains its balance and is a breeze to write with.

For those of you who may seek a size reference, here is a side by side image with the Kaigelu 316 which is a clone of the Duofold Centennial.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Fosfor%20Duofold/IMGP5210_zps6kjouwpd.jpg

Nib

Since the gentleman in question already had access to other Duofolds, we didn't bother about getting an original nib for the pen. Instead he opted for a 18K Jowo #6 pen in rose gold finish with his initials engraved on the nib. This technique is different from the laser engraving I had done on my Rajendran and arguably better if the limited typeface options available do not bother you.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Fosfor%20Duofold/IMGP5201_zpsazxbejmk.jpg

Filling Mechanism

The pen uses the standard international cartridge converter mechanism with a Schmidt converter paired with the WIN/Jowo nib unit. The section itself was custom made by Manoj. The pen can accept any bottled ink as well as cartridges from a host of brands.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g346/prithwijitchakiPrithwijit/Fountain%20Pen%20Reviews/Fosfor%20Duofold/IMGP5205_zpsltn81ktm.jpg

Build Quality

Manoj is synonymous with quality and he amply demonstrated that in this pen as well. All critical aspects of the pen such as the shape, fit, threading, buffing/polishing and the finish are impeccable and gives the overall impression of a high quality product.

Specifications

The measurements have not been taken with any precision instrument or laboratory techniques and should be considered as indicative only .

Length (capped) – 137 mm
Length (uncapped) – 130 mm
Length (cap) – 63 mm
Length (section) – 20 mm
Maximum width – 13.5 mm
Maximum section width – 10.5 mm
Minimum section width – 9 mm

Conclusion

I found the idea of this pen pretty intriguing. In one broad brush we have covered 96 years of Duofold legacy from its ebonite origins, big red lineage to contemporary evolution and amenities. The final product has certainly been able to fulfil its design brief. It is a classic mid-sized comfortable and well balanced writing instrument. The SEM ebonite and silver trims are wonderful thing to have and Fosfor quality and finishing comes through.

Useful Links

Very good orange ebonite blanks can be sourced from http://www.ebonite-arts.de/en/index.php
Jowo nibs of your choice can be sourced from www.asapens.in
Pen is made by www.fosforpens.com

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prithwijit

• visvamitra

• T4TEXAS

• senzen

Wonderful!

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

What material are the rings made of?

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Nice looking pen, awesome photos! If the section were the same colour as the barrel... And the clip didn't have that ball at the end... It would be "just take my Rupees!".

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Amazing pen, I love it!

Oh my god...I want one of those. That is drop-dead gorgeous.

awesome pen

Thank you USK, Kevan and Dinuraj for dropping by and leaving your comments. I am glad that you guys loved the pen.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Wonderful!

What material are the rings made of?

Hi,

The rings are made of sterling silver.

Regards,

Prithwijit

WOW - I want one, exactly the same, for myself. Splendid. Yellow one would be amazing as well.

Well, I believe you can make all these things happen by asking creator :) I send him a request but so far I haven't heard back from him. Yes, this pen makes me want to spend some money.

Hi Visvamitra,

Glad you liked the pen so much to seek one for yourself. Are you going for orange or mandarin yellow ?

You may want to consider the following materials as well:

Regards,

Prithwijit

Nice looking pen, awesome photos! If the section were the same colour as the barrel... And the clip didn't have that ball at the end... It would be "just take my Rupees!".

Hi,

The great thing about custom pens is that all of these changes can be easily accommodated. Just speak with Manoj if you are interested.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Gorgeous Fountain Pen...

I have had Manoj make several custom Fountain Pens for me, and EACH ONE is unique and exceptional ,,,Manoj is a true expert at his craft.

Congrats to whoever the owner of this FP is, and Prithwijit thanks for taking the time to share and do a review....

Bill P

1. How many turns of cap to close the pen?

2. Is it possible to have the section in hourglass shape, made of the same material as the rest of the pen - that is, https://richardlgreenwald.com/shop/duofold-orange/ ?

3. With 18k Jowo - how much would such a DuoManoj Centennial cost (in Euro)?

1. Around 3 turns

2. Yes. Definitely possible. But a pronounced hourglass shape would increase the section the diameter a bit resulting in corresponding increase of barrel and cap diameter. Assume around a mm or so of additional diameter for a nice hourglass.

3. I would hazard a guess between 200-250 Euros excluding shipping.

Regards,

Prithwijit

@ Prithwijit : Great review ! Realistic and picturesque !

Craftsmanship of Phosphor is definitely proven.

A huge appreciation for you Prithwijit for being the enabler.

A small observation of mine : being ebonite and of the same size as Duofold, I think it wd be too light weight unless its further customized. Original Duofold to some extent suffers size and weight issue particularly with a big nosed Centennial nib. Of course YMMV, and they say : small is beautiful !

Having said that, you have got a pretty cute orange beauty there indeed.

@ Prithwijit : Great review ! Realistic and picturesque !

Craftsmanship of Phosphor is definitely proven.

A huge appreciation for you Prithwijit for being the enabler.

A small observation of mine : being ebonite and of the same size as Duofold, I think it wd be too light weight unless its further customized. Original Duofold to some extent suffers size and weight issue particularly with a big nosed Centennial nib. Of course YMMV, and they say : small is beautiful !

Having said that, you have got a pretty cute orange beauty there indeed.

Dear Pankaj,

I never wrote with this particular pen since it belonged to someone else. However, I have many similar pens and have never encountered any weight or balance issue. In fact, I have a trouble with pens with metal tenons or bodies since I find them to be too heavy. The Kaigelu 316 I have pictured it with in particular suffers from too much weight because the end finial in the barrel is made of brass which is lacquered in black. Ebonite pens on the other hand are delightfully light and stress free to write with.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Gorgeous Fountain Pen...

I have had Manoj make several custom Fountain Pens for me, and EACH ONE is unique and exceptional ,,,Manoj is a true expert at his craft.

Congrats to whoever the owner of this FP is, and Prithwijit thanks for taking the time to share and do a review....

Bill P

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the endorsement :)

Regards,

Prithwijit