I Have A Twsbi Eco, Do I Want A Wing Sung 698?

antichresis

Hi guys, I have a TWSBI Eco.

It's a good, competent pen, smooth, with a large ink capacity,I like screw caps, and it's inexpensive. On the other hand I'm not in love with the pen. I borrowed a lot of Ecos (probably a dozen or more) from friends before and I was never struck by how good they were. They were nice, and I knew I was going to try one eventually—if a good deal came my way—but it wasn't high on my list. I just felt that it lacked a bit of character, a bit of a quirkiness.

From that and from your own experiences, should I get a Wing Sung 698? What does the 698 have that an Eco does not, why do you like one over the other?

For additional context I have a 659 I bought last year. Again, a good pen, but I don't find myself reaching for it. There was also a problem with the feed (ink would not come down) that I eventually fixed. From what I understand, the 698 and the 659 have the same writing end (I also have a couple of 78G pens from <F> to <B>). Besides the piston filler capacity, what does the 698 bring to the table that those two don't? Does it feel better in the hand, is it better made?

Lastly, I got the 659 because I like demonstrators and I love clear feeds. However, the feed on mine has stained. I don't recall what ink I had in the pen, but I don't think it was any problematic ink because it's only the feed that got stained and not the section or the converter although it is also possible that I had the pen inked much more than usual (didn't reach for it much), but did you get your 698 feed stained? With what ink?

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Notgatherox

• Seele

• antichresis

• ParkerDuofold

Hi Antichresis,

I haven't owned either model, but since the Eco doesn't seem to thrill you, I'd give the 698 a shot. Jewelrymathmatics (on e-bay) is selling the WS for $17.50, (or less), including shipping.

It looks like a neat pen; I'm going to pick a couple up for kicks, just deciding on color choices. I'm very tempted to get them all; they look like really decent pens for the price, (and I don't think these will be prone to cracking like so many of the TWSBI pens are), but I really am trying to curb my lusts... on general principle... so I'm limiting myself to two. :D

Best of luck with your decision. :)

- Anthony

PS: Sorry I can't help you with the inks; demonstrators have never really been my thing before... I just bought my first ones, but haven't received them yet, so I've never made much attention if an ink stained my converter or not.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

antichresis,

I have both the new Victo-built new Wing Sung Lucky models and pleased with them. Being in Australia, getting any TWSBI product is an expensive business, so I do not have experience with them.

It is always a tricky to have an established standard against which others are judged. If we only look at their design and engineering, they are sufficiently different that each has its own merits. The clear feed, however, is also a contentious issue as mine are also stained by Pelikan 4001 Violet, and undoubtedly others; I wish they also offer a black feed option as well, as the black material should work better for not being as hydrophobic. I have found the Victo-made nibs to be fully satisfactory right off the bat, but of course, TWSBI offers a greater variety of Jowo-made nibs, and are compatible with a wide variety of other nibs.

I have also ordered another Chinese-made piston demonstrator called Caliart Ego, which is relatively new but the maker does not have any international distribution channel; the pen itself appears to be a homage to the TWSBI Mini mechanically but with a totally different cap; I sure am looking forward to examining it and trying it out.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Seele,

to ensure that other folks in this thread are familiar with Victo, I'm going to copy here some of your useful Wing Sung background from another Wing Sung 698 thread.

Prior to its closure and acquisition by Hero, Wing Sung also acquired a number of other pen manufacturers including one who used the "Lucky" trademark; Wing Sung continued to use this brand for some of their pens, and this tradition carried on when the Wing Sung brand was re-launched by the Hero Group, but now operated by Victo. - 9 April 2017

Green Stationary, better known for its "Victo" trademark, is one of the firms within the Hero Group. In fact the firm is known as "Shanghai Hero Pen Factory Co Ltd, The Center of Manufacturing Products II, Shanghai Green Stationary Co Ltd", so it is not like Hero farmed out the manufacturing to some independent firm whose operation is not within their supervision. - 9 April 2017

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/321365-wing-sung-698-piston-filler/

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Hi again, Antichresis,

Thanks to Bobje, you may want to read this review cited below:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/321365-wing-sung-698-piston-filler/

I've only read the first paragraph or two and duty calls here at the office, but it sounds to me like the pen may have some build quality issues... you may want to proceed with caution.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

antichresis,

I have both the new Victo-built new Wing Sung Lucky models and pleased with them. Being in Australia, getting any TWSBI product is an expensive business, so I do not have experience with them.

It is always a tricky to have an established standard against which others are judged. If we only look at their design and engineering, they are sufficiently different that each has its own merits. The clear feed, however, is also a contentious issue as mine are also stained by Pelikan 4001 Violet, and undoubtedly others; I wish they also offer a black feed option as well, as the black material should work better for not being as hydrophobic. I have found the Victo-made nibs to be fully satisfactory right off the bat, but of course, TWSBI offers a greater variety of Jowo-made nibs, and are compatible with a wide variety of other nibs.

I have also ordered another Chinese-made piston demonstrator called Caliart Ego, which is relatively new but the maker does not have any international distribution channel; the pen itself appears to be a homage to the TWSBI Mini mechanically but with a totally different cap; I sure am looking forward to examining it and trying it out.

Seele,

I got my Caliart today and I really like it. It seems quite robust (this is to be confirmed, of course!) and a huge ink capacity - 2.1ml, similar to the Vac700R.

Bonus: the nib is interchangable with Pilot nibs. The stock nib is decent, but if you want something even finer, there's that option as well.

I hope you'll like yours too!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Hi again, Antichresis,

I've only read the first paragraph or two and duty calls here at the office, but it sounds to me like the pen may have some build quality issues... you may want to proceed with caution.

- Anthony

I was able to read the whole review during lunch; along with watching a couple YouTube reviews... I think I'll take the plunge. ;)

- Anthony

After reading the reviews on this forum I placed an order 3 weeks ago and I received it yesterday. I also ordered a WS 659 from the above mentioned eBay seller. Both arrived at the same time. The WS 698 is about the same size and girth of a Jinhao x750, while the WS 659 is about the size of a MB 144. It's a little fatter. After flushing both pens I inked the 698 with PR Ebony Brown and the 659 with Noodler's Midnight Blue. Both pens wrote without issue and reasonably wet. The 659 was wetter but I'm not sure if it was because of the ink vs the feed.

post-136255-0-64074500-1493254256_thumb.jpg

post-136255-0-06240900-1493255255_thumb.jpg

All in all, I'm very pleased with these new pens but the WS 698 has a better feel in my hand. The finish is superior to the 659 so I'm going to order 2 more. I wish I could try the 14k gold nib version. I saw a review on youtube by Mr Chen and it appeared to be more flexible than the steel F nib version. I haven't had the pleasure of writing with the Twsbi ECO but from what I've read it is a very good pen as well. I would have bought it if I didn't see the youtube video's on the WS 698 and read the comparison between the 2 pens on this forum. :thumbup: Cliff

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

Seele,

I got my Caliart today and I really like it. It seems quite robust (this is to be confirmed, of course!) and a huge ink capacity - 2.1ml, similar to the Vac700R.

Bonus: the nib is interchangable with Pilot nibs. The stock nib is decent, but if you want something even finer, there's that option as well.

~Epic

Lord Epic,

Good to know there's a happy Caliart owner. Do you have a TWSBI MIni for comparison?

Lord Epic,

Good to know there's a happy Caliart owner. Do you have a TWSBI MIni for comparison?

I don't have a Mini, but I have two 580s. Personally I feel that the 580 is closer to the Caliart than the Mini, because of the length.

Would you like a comparison picture between the two? Will be happy to post one at home. For now, you'll have to be happy with pictures of the Caliart alone :P not the best pictures though, blame my phone

post-111759-0-64798400-1493282219_thumb.jpg

post-111759-0-46333800-1493282229_thumb.jpg

post-111759-0-75875700-1493282238_thumb.jpg

The piston is pretty smooth, comparable to the TWSBI. There's no inner cap.

The pen comes with a cute tiny wrench and two o rings for replacement if needed.

Let me know if you would like more info :)

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

After reading the reviews on this forum I placed an order 3 weeks ago and I received it yesterday. I also ordered a WS 659 from the above mentioned eBay seller. Both arrived at the same time. The WS 698 is about the same size and girth of a Jinhao x750, while the WS 659 is about the size of a MB 144. It's a little fatter. After flushing both pens I inked the 698 with PR Ebony Brown and the 659 with Noodler's Midnight Blue. Both pens wrote without issue and reasonably wet. The 659 was wetter but I'm not sure if it was because of the ink vs the feed.

20170426_201651.jpg

20170426_210019.jpg

All in all, I'm very pleased with these new pens but the WS 698 has a better feel in my hand. The finish is superior to the 659 so I'm going to order 2 more. I wish I could try the 14k gold nib version. I saw a review on youtube by Mr Chen and it appeared to be more flexible than the steel F nib version. I haven't had the pleasure of writing with the Twsbi ECO but from what I've read it is a very good pen as well. I would have bought it if I didn't see the youtube video's on the WS 698 and read the comparison between the 2 pens on this forum. :thumbup: Cliff

Hi IM,

Is this the one you seek?...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2017-Wing-Sung-698-Piston-14K-Gold-Pen-Transparent-Golden-Clip-Fine-Nib-No-Box-/332171040453?hash=item4d56efd6c5%3Ag%3AFxQAAOSw4CFY2kdy&_trkparms=pageci%253A4c8be2d1-2a9c-11e7-a123-74dbd180ae5d%257Cparentrq%253Aab109d6815b0ab66aea58fd5ffffed20%257Ciid%253A10

It's a demonstrator 698 with a 14k nib for around $50. I'd consider one, but I want to make sure the pen is a comfortable fit for me, so I'm gonna start with one of the basic models.

- Anthony

Everyone, thank you for the comments (and keep them coming)! Based on my use of it, I would rate the 659 as a six to eight dollar pen on my arbitrary scale of value. The 698 I am trying to get people to convince me is "worth" its current price, which is more than my value for the 659, despite having the same writing end. Some have chimed in that it doesn't feel the same and has better build quality so that is inching me towards getting one especially since the Taobao price is half the eBay price.

The clear feed, however, is also a contentious issue as mine are also stained by Pelikan 4001 Violet, and undoubtedly others; I wish they also offer a black feed option as well, as the black material should work better for not being as hydrophobic. I have found the Victo-made nibs to be fully satisfactory right off the bat, but of course, TWSBI offers a greater variety of Jowo-made nibs, and are compatible with a wide variety of other nibs.

But that bit really does give me pause. My 659 works with Pilot feeds (mated to the WS nib), if I remember correctly, but it didn't look right. As to the nibs, I do like them but for some reason I don't pull them out of the drawer as much as my other pens which is weird since I also like the 78G form factor. A pair of 78G pens were the only pens I used for a few years before the local market grew and brought in new brands, so really can't put a finger on why I don't like it more and the worry that I won't like the 698 as well—offset by the feeling that I'm missing out on a good pen.

This Caliart Ego (for some reason I pronounce it as Eggo) is new to me and is half the price of the 698. From the pictures, I looks better to me than the 698 too. Please share your first impressions when you get it! I hope that the feed will not stain.

By the way, for a short time there was a listing for the WS 613-2 which is like a full demonstrator version of the Hero 616 but with a piston converter system. I ordered one a month ago but the tracking is telling me that it's going around in circles in the local post office. You may want to check that out.

Hi again, Antichresis,

- Anthony

Anthony, linking us to Vis's review is unfair. He can probably make a Manuscript pen look like a great buy with his photography skills!

Seele,

~Epic

Lord Epic, thank you for the photos and I hope you will make a review of the Ego once you get a feel for it. It sure looks better than the 698 and I do like the visible screw rings on the piston (the reason I liek the clear Eco best) and the red piston o-rings (whcih remind me of the Lamy converter in a Vista). How does it compare to your other pens?

attachicon.gif20170426_201651.jpg

attachicon.gif20170426_210019.jpg

The 659''s finishing really is quite poor. In the process of fixing mine all the cap markings disappeared. It's also easily scratched. Thank you for your comparison to the 698. Do get back to us when you finish the ink in the pen and tell us if your feed is stained as well.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Lord Epic,

Good to know that you are impressed with the Caliart; I do have a feeling that it's heavily inspired by TWSBI designs, but how it takes design cues from TWSBI's products, I do not know.

antichresis,

Perhaps you are over-thinking things a bit: stay on bread and water for a day and just buy the 698! :D :D :D

Lord Epic,

Good to know that you are impressed with the Caliart; I do have a feeling that it's heavily inspired by TWSBI designs, but how it takes design cues from TWSBI's products, I do not know.

antichresis,

Perhaps you are over-thinking things a bit: stay on bread and water for a day and just buy the 698! :D :D :D

I think you're right. My over-thinking led me to make this post and now I think I have to buy not just the WS but the Caliarts as well!!

So I got home and took some comparison pictures with the 580.

post-111759-0-63096600-1493308002_thumb.jpg

The two pens side by side. Note the 580's inner cap.

post-111759-0-03390600-1493308035_thumb.jpg

Uncapped. The 580 has a metal bit on the grip, the Ego does not. The 580 is a screw in nib unit, the Ego is a friction fit.

post-111759-0-78716100-1493308092_thumb.jpg

Top parts of both pens

post-111759-0-84265100-1493308140_thumb.jpg

Close up of nibs. The 580 uses Jowo, the Ego is a generic iridium point F nib. (Please ignore the line on the 580, it's just dust)

post-111759-0-08641500-1493308263_thumb.jpg

Piston shot. Note the similarities of the two! The Ego doesn't have a metal ring at the piston area though.

Two more shots of the packaging

post-111759-0-80364600-1493308315_thumb.jpg

Came in a cardboard box, and pen was in the metal case. It reads Caliarts, Writing is Art.

post-111759-0-52435200-1493308390_thumb.jpg

Inside the case. Holds a little wrench, two o rings and an instruction sheet.

Hope it helped!

~Epic

Edited by Lord Epic

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Lord Epic,

Thank you for the comparison pictures; it looks like the designer of the Caliart had the 580 in mind... and his hands too. I also ordered a spare piston drive helicoid and a black feed: the vendor states the black feed is less hydrophobic than the clear feed and should look better in the pen to go with the black piston drive mechanism.

The 580's metal ring at the end of the section is probably a complete fix against cracks reported on the earlier models. Let's see if the Caliart can be better in this respect!

What is your view on the caps? The TWSBI cap looks a lot more sophisticated in styling, but I heard it is much heavier than that on the Caliart, it might get more tail-heavy when posted, but then I rarely post anyway.

Edited by Seele

Lord Epic,

Thank you for the comparison pictures; it looks like the designer of the Caliart had the 580 in mind... and his hands too. I also ordered a spare piston drive helicoid and a black feed: the vendor states the black feed is less hydrophobic than the clear feed and should look better in the pen to go with the black piston drive mechanism.

The 580's metal ring at the end of the section is probably a complete fix against cracks reported on the earlier models. Let's see if the Caliart can be better in this respect!

What is your view on the caps? The TWSBI cap looks a lot more sophisticated in styling, but I heard it is much heavier than that on the Caliart, it might get more tail-heavy when posted, but then I rarely post anyway.

My view of the caps? I like the Caliart one for its lightness. The TWSBI one feels more solid. The TWSBI one weighs 13g, the Caliart weighs 5. The metal bits really do add to the weight.

I quite like the clear feed - unfortunately my use of a dark(er) ink means the translucency is much gone ha!

~Epic

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Seele,

~Epic

Where did you buy this pen? I looked on eBay but didn't find anything. :unsure: Was it expensive?

Just when I thought I found a great budget piston filler (WS698) they drag me back in. :gaah:

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

Epic, how does the Ego compare to your other pens? Does the lack of an inner cap result in start-up problems?

Where did you buy this pen? I looked on eBay but didn't find anything. :unsure: Was it expensive?

Just when I thought I found a great budget piston filler (WS698) they drag me back in. :gaah:

From a local business. Nope, not expensive, cost me $12 SGD (1.4 SGD to 1 USD)

I presume it would be available on Taobao

~Epic

Edited by Lord Epic

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.