Looking For Hard Facts About Lamy 27

christof

Hi

I am looking for hard facts and informations concerning the different models of Lamy 27 through the time. Here is what I know

34135751771_2f472ff127_c.jpgLamy 27 Timeline by c_m_z, auf Flickr

At the end, iit is my goal to write a short but correct timeline about the Lamy 27 with reference pictures if possible. I'll start with the very first Lamy 27:

32176360772_5f6754b497_c.jpgLamy 27 first Generation by C.M.Z., auf Flickr

29247585463_a1eb817b0b_c.jpgAdvert first Lamy 27 by C.M.Z., auf Flickr

If you have serious informations about production dates or models I have missed, please share with us.

Thank you.

Christof

Edited by christof

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• PithyProlix

• Namo

• the_gasman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Highly specialized request. Seems your only resource is Lamy.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I will pull out my LAMY collection and start taking some photos. There are some other entries which will be hard to establish for a date. A couple of them:

• Ink window shape - most appear "capsule" oval (rectangle with rounded ends), but I have one with square ink windows.
  • "M" size. This is a thicker 27 pen that uses a blind cap (with piston knob hidden inside). No parts are compatible with the standard 27. They are usually stamped "27m", but sometimes just 27.
  • There were several different cap designs. "Lustralloy" (brushed steel alloy) with no accents, Lustralloy with gold band (double-L stamping), Chrome, Gold plated (with various line spacing patterns). I don't know if all were available at the same, or if released on different years.
  • The "19xx".. which I presume to be "196x", you state an "L" logo on cap top. Those weren't more rounded, but instead squared off. The cap top is like a puck with rounded edges, and the bottom end is squared off. I have 2 versions - one where the piston screw end is slightly rounded and the other with an inverted cone with sharp edges. These are usually stamped "27 32".
Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Hello,

I would so much like to add some “hard facts” to this topic.

Unfortunately, I only found one fact. Other than that, I can only assume ...

The scan is from a catalogue dated February 1, 1962. At this time, both LAMY 27 models were offered as well as some ARTUS models.

Kind regards,

Jan

post-114316-0-60919900-1493976773_thumb.jpg

While I don't have any hard facts, I have a model different from the others above:

http://i.imgur.com/U02fI4sl.jpg

• barrel is stamped LAMY 27 30n and the nib width is on the section
  • different clip shape
  • plastic snap cap with an L on top
  • arrowhead-shaped hood
  • cap lip has an angular bevel
  • no metal trim near the clip

http://i.imgur.com/7Tert5Al.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MUjiq7Hl.jpg

There is a very similar 27 30n here but the barrel ring is different.

Edited by bokchoy

Not sure if this is of any help, but I have a 27m that has a different engraving than the usual Lamy logo (as seen on the picture here above). The "A" is rounded at the top and not pointy. The "M" is different too. I have no idea of the date

post-21880-0-40112400-1495052651_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.

Edit to add: same logo as the red 27m pictured here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/322937-lamy-27e-schwarz;-om/?do=findComment&comment=3849869

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Thanks to all for your help. Currently I am filling all the informations into a grid and will come back here when finished.

@Namo: The shown engraving is the older LAMY logo. I have severals with this:

33348354050_c5085709cb_z.jpg

...and this is how the newer one is looking:

33348353940_0d190b2eed_z.jpg

Unfortunately we don't know when it changed and if the change was a straight cut.

C.

Edited by christof

Still not sure how helpful, but the 27m I have has the "less hooded" nib, meaning it's more in the open than the 2K.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

After some time (2 months and 5 days to be precise), some work, some investigations, some help of my friends and some drawing and sketching work comes the result of our joint research about thte Lamy 27:

34784046054_23b5ee9d35_o.jpg

Because it would have been and endless and impossible task to get all the variants to the photo studio, I decided to illustrate by sketches.

For a full size view, click on the picture or download the image in full resolution under this link:

https://flic.kr/p/UZKk2Y

35238771880_ba5c7df8ed_o.jpg

Hope you will like it and let's see what's next...

C.

Edited by christof

What a fantastic resource. Congratulations and thanks for the hard work.

My Lamy 27 looks like a 1962 model but it has "Lamy 27 30" etched into the barrel (on separate lines), yet has a metal cap. Has the cap been swapped? Or is the barrel imprint wrong?

It doesn't matter to me as I am a user, not a collector, and I love the pen – it has an OBB nib with lovely line width variation and is one of my favourite pens.

Cheers,

David.

Edited by the_gasman

My Lamy 27 looks like a 1962 model but it has "Lamy 27 30" etched into the barrel (on separate lines), yet has a metal cap. Has the cap been swapped?

Not sure about this, but got the numbering from a 1965 Catalog:

34785468114_1bf33fa58d_o.jpg

C.

Indisputable.

Mine looks like the "31" but has the "30" imprint.

I suspect that the cap has been swapped at some time, either before or after sale.

Thanks Christof,

David.

Christof!

What a magnificent piece of research and documentation of the Lamy 27. I am interested in the history of the Lamys from the break-away Parker salesman in the 30s through the breakaway son in the 60s. What classics they have produced.

Thanks to you and to your colleagues.

Here are two ads and my 27 - 30 model from the 1962 release with the distinctive L in a circle added to the jewel on the crown. It has that classic style, perhaps augmented a bit following the original release in 1952. The nib is a joy with a pleasant flex for easy cursive handwriting. The pangram translation into German is for amusement.

http://i271.photobuc...zpsourtv5ar.jpg

(Sorry, I can't seem to get the image directly on this page.)

Again, what a valuable piece of work, Christof!

Best,

Dick

• 1 month later...