Kwzi Lux Grey

visvamitra

As some of you may know Poland is one of biggest exporters of cosmetics, furniture and fruits. But we also have inks. Or, to be more precise, one ink maker - KWZI. Konrad offers handmade inks in more than sixty colors. You can check his website here.

It seems Lux Grey isn't most well known color in KWZI standard inks line. I'm not sure as I haven't done proper web research but it seems it'll be first review of this color. Two years my taste in inks has changed significantly. One of these changes is growing appreciation for grey inks. KWZI's grey is intense and I believe other manufacturers would label it black (and their blacks are rarely black). It seems Lux Grey has some Green and Cyan components.

fpn_1493053825__luxgreyiss.jpg

Flow: This ink is crazy wet. A real gusher. Not to the point when wrtiting becomes a chore though.

Saturation: it's stronly saturated, especially compared to other grey inks on the market.

Lubrication: very good and pleasant. It makes Platinum Preppy 0.2 nib glide across the page.

Drying time: It can take a while, depending on the nib you use. 15-30 seconds on Rhodia, 15 – 25 seconds on absorbent paper.

Clogging issues: None experienced.

Feathering: practically none. Maybe some barely perceptible feathering on Moleskine.

Bleedthrough: experienced only on Moleskine (crappiest paper ever)

Water resistance: nope. Zero. Null. Nada.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1493061465__luxgrey_is.jpg

Color ID

fpn_1493061761__luxgrey_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1493061781__luxgrey_l_4.jpg

Maruman, Lamy Al-Star, medium nib

fpn_1493061862__luxgrey_maruman.jpg

fpn_1493061908__luxgrey_maruman_2.jpg

Leuchtturm1917, Lamy Al-Star, medium nib

fpn_1493061923__luxgrey_l_1.jpg

fpn_1493061990__luxgrey_l_2.jpg

fpn_1493062004__luxgrey_l_5.jpg

Rhodia, Lamy Al-Star, medium nib

fpn_1493062026__luxgrey_rhodia_1.jpg

fpn_1493062052__luxgrey_rhodia_2.jpg
fpn_1493062067__luxgrey_rhodia_3.jpg

Moleskine, Lamy Al-Star, medium nib

fpn_1493061804__luxgrey_maoleskine.jpg

fpn_1493061834__luxgrey_maoleskine_2.jpg

fpn_1493061846__luxgrey_maoleskine_3.jpg

Bleedthrough on Moleskine

fpn_1493062088__luxgrey_bleed.jpg
Water resistance
fpn_1493062139__luxgrey_h2o.jpg
Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gylyf

• visvamitra

• cleosmama

• lgsoltek

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty nice. If I tire of De Atramentis Fog Grey, I might try this one.

I agree about the saturation - it seems almost black. I think it needs a really good shader to see the grey shading.

I found this interview with Konrad and he said that they made this because someone from the Polish fountain pen board asked them about grey ink.

Thanks for the review and another Char quote!

KWZI's grey is intense and I believe other manufacturers would label it black (and their blacks are rarely black).

You have that right! I have a few grey inks that are called "black" and one grey ink (de Atramentis Grey Frankincense) that is darker than them (but still noticeably grey).

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I'd call this a charcoal grey. Looks nice. Thanks for the review!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

This is a very timely review for me -- I just picked up a sample of this but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Thanks for the review. I hadn't realized that it would be more grey than purple (not that this is a bad thing :rolleyes: -- I like grey inks for the most part).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."