New Armando Simoni Club Brown Arco (Banded Armadillo Version)

jmccarty3

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luxseeker

• sunnyt

• hawpunch

• fountainpen51

Hello,

Not sure about the medallion size on the older Omas. I think this pen is heavily inspired from the Modern Decobands (no surprise here) and thus uses the shorter clip. With a size much larger than an MB149 and a much shorter clip, I think they needed something to make the canvass look "complete", hence the medallion. To my eye, given the size of the pen, the medallion is "inoffensive".

Regards

S

Looks too big to carry around for everyday use, unless one's job requires that a truncheon be handy at all times. How's the nib? Perhaps that's what really matters.

Is it larger than the Wahl-Eversharp Decobands?

The barrel and the cap has slightly less girth compared to the modern Decoband but it is longer. I feel that the size of the pen does enable it to show a fuller range of the arco pattern and hence quite appropriate.

Regards

S

How heavy and balanced is this pen compared to the MB 149? I find the new big Deltas beautiful, but too back heavy with the metal piston.

How heavy and balanced is this pen compared to the MB 149? I find the new big Deltas beautiful, but too back heavy with the metal piston.

Hello,

It's a solid piece of kit so its quite heavy. The celluloid is quite thick too (in my estimation). I find it well balanced but this might depend on individual preferences and how one holds the pen and where. I am attaching a picture with the center of mass (approximate) marked out. That might help you estimate if the balance of the pen is right for you. It sits quite well on the webbing between my thumb and index finger given how I hold the pen.

Regards

S

fpn_1502664459__asc_cofmass.jpg

Do please post a review including how the nib writes and feels. Very interested to know!

What are people's opinion of the pneumatic filling system? From the little I've seen it looks like a pain to use, especially cleaning. This has kept me from even considering the pen.

What are people's opinion of the pneumatic filling system? From the little I've seen it looks like a pain to use, especially cleaning. This has kept me from even considering the pen.

IF it is the same as the new WE Decoband, and I think it is indeed, then it is super easy to use to fill and flush. Far faster than an integrated piston. Of course, it will be more maintenance in the long run as the sac will not last forever.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Do please post a review including how the nib writes and feels. Very interested to know!

Apologies for not reviewing the pen so far. Have been a little caught up. I will try to review it soon. The nib may be marketed as "Magicflex" but I think that there more marketing magic to that term than flex B) . While it is soft, it does not seem to be what one would call a "flex" nib. It writes very wet and to my estimate is indistinguishable from the one on the Decoband. I also had to tune it a little bit out of the box before I was satisfied with it.

For me it is much more convenient than a piston or even a converter. The system flushes out the liquid in the pen (water or ink) with some pressure thus cleaning the feed with fewer refills of water. I am worried about how the pen disassembles should one want to replace the sac. While the joint where the section can be separated from the body to access the sac chamber is visible on the Decoband, I don't see it on this pen (I haven't looked very closely though). Worryingly I am also not sure about whether ASC has a service set up to take care of these issues and what the warranty is.

Funnily, this limited edition of 100 pens has now metamorphosed to an unlimited edition at a higher price after the sale of 150 pens :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

Anyone have both the ASC & the Wahl Eversharp Deco Band? I would like to know how they compare. I am considering purchase and these pens seem extremely similar nib wise & filling system wise in selection. Materials made from seem to be the only difference, correct? The ASC is hundreds of dollars more. Is it worth it to pay extra? What is the extra money for, material made from? Is it the material offered that much more illustrious looking? How do the nibs "really" compare? All things being equal or not . . . .

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

Anyone have both the ASC & the Wahl Eversharp Deco Band? I would like to know how they compare. I am considering purchase and these pens seem extremely similar nib wise & filling system wise in selection. Materials made from seem to be the only difference, correct? The ASC is hundreds of dollars more. Is it worth it to pay extra? What is the extra money for, material made from? Is it the material offered that much more illustrious looking? How do the nibs "really" compare? All things being equal or not . . . .

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

Hello,

The ASC is slightly longer while the Decoband sits more squat. Materials are completely different. ASC uses OMAS celluloid while the Decoband comes in ebonite and acrylic. ASC was initially introduced as a limited edition (for Arco Brown) at more or less the same price as the Decoband. The recent rediscovery of the beauty of OMAS celluloid by many collectors prompted them to hike the price pretty steeply and hence the current premium to the Decoband. To me the nibs are same. The beauty of the OMAS material lies in the eyes of the proverbial beholder.

To me the current list price of the ASC is not justified no matter how pretty the celluloid. The Arco brown goes for about a couple of hundred dollars less than list price on Ebay. The Wild celluloid went for about the same price as the Decoband Gatsby on Ebay recently.

Hope this helps.

Happy Hunting.

Regards

S

Thanks. This is pretty much my sentiment... That the nibs are the same. Folks talk of the slit in the feed on the ASC to help the nib keep up, I believe I see the same in the Wahl Eversharp Decoband but I've not heard anyone speak of it. If I could confirm that it would solidify my decision. I personally like the Rosewood on the Decoband.