New Armando Simoni Club Brown Arco (Banded Armadillo Version)

jmccarty3

Those who have seen the most recent Pen World surely must have noticed the forthcoming Armando Simoni Club Brown Arco pen, which is supposed to be introduced at the DC show (if it occurs):

http://i.imgur.com/OXEIWFo.jpg

The pen is said to be made from remaining OMAS brown Arco celluloid stock. It shares many characteristics of the Wahl-Eversharp Decoband pen, including the pneumatic filling system and the flexible nib. This is not surprising, since both Syd Saperstein and Manu Caltagirone have been involved in the resurrection of Wahl-Eversharp and OMAS (now ASC).

What I immediately noticed about all the photos of the new brown Arco pen is the abundant transverse banding in the celluloid, which I don't find very attractive. To my knowledge, this banding is not seen in any of the OMAS Arco pens.

I would like to know how this came about, and what other Arco lovers think of it.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luxseeker

• sunnyt

• hawpunch

• fountainpen51

I really like my modern Decoband and I like arco celluloid so this might be hard to pass, but I agree the sample photo is not the most appealing. Maybe this is more an issue with a specific batch?

Also the nib design is dull at first glance, unlike the WE Deco which I find unique compared to modern nibs.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

A piston would have been nice, but my guess is that it still will sell like crazy. MSRP = $995. More details here:

https://ascpens.com/pages/asc-arco

and here:

https://ascpens.com/pages/pen-world-april-2017

Looks like they are doing some PR to see how many will bite at that price. I might.

Oh, I like the story that during the period we all thought OMAS was dying, as indeed it was, it was actually "metamorphosing" into the ASC. :D

Edited by FriendAmos

What I immediately noticed about all the photos of the new brown Arco pen is the abundant transverse banding in the celluloid, which I don't find very attractive. To my knowledge, this banding is not seen in any of the OMAS Arco pens.

I would like to know how this came about, and what other Arco lovers think of it.

I don't now how it came about, but I like it. Better than the "original". Celluloid, that is; don't know about the nib.

Edited by FriendAmos

I worry a bit about the apparent thinness of the cap lip.

Thanks for the link with the detailed in photos and photos FriendAmos.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Like the nib very much.

Could have done without the medallion.

Someone with better eyes can correct me: doesn't look to be quite as slender and graceful as the original Paragon.

Has it by miles over the last Omas Arco Paragon.

Edited by gary

Like the nib very much.

Someone with better eyes can correct me: doesn't look to be quite as slender and graceful as the original Paragon.

Has it by miles over the last Omas Arco Paragon.

I suspect that medallion is there to hide the new increased length of the cap. Either that, or the clip is shorter.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Looks definitely sub par to me - middle of the road nib design, mediocre AS logo, clip meh, not to mention transverse banding ...

Above said compared to the Old Style Paragon, which still can be had for probably less.

For the price I could get four to five pens with better looks!

Sometimes it`s better to let the dead rest in peace, but apparently there is a market for another luxury boutique brand. Yawn.

Like the nib very much.

Yes, the little medallion thing is a bit tacky. Yes, according to the figures given, the pen is longer and thicker than the original Paragon.

I do not like the medallion but it is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. The pen will be very oversized: 16cms long capped. It needs to be in order to accommodate the filling system. Personally I eagerly look foward to it as it should be stunning.

Above said compared to the Old Style Paragon, which still can be had for probably less.

Old style paragons in arco brown are pretty much instantly sold as soon as they hit the classifieds, for significantly more.

Old style paragons in arco brown are pretty much instantly sold as soon as they hit the classifieds, for significantly more.

True that -a used Old Style Arco Paragon ended at around a 1000 bucks on the bay today :yikes:

I consider myself extremely lucky that I got mine for 300 just 15 months ago B)

By now it`s by a pretty long stretch my most valuable pen. Sad thing is that due to it`s B nib I haven`t used it in quite a while. I meant to send it to Mr. S for re-grinding but am procrastinating because I`m paranoid that it gets lost during shipping :unsure:

PS: I`m a bit sorry that I dissed the AS pen :blush: -as I try to make it my policy to shut my mouth if I have nothing nice to say, but I can be a bit grumpy occasionally.

Lesson: Never post if in a bad mood

Edited by Polanova

It's a new brand, endeavour and adventure for the owners (even if they are experienced pen manufacturers).

It will sell. Personally I think I will get it but I'm looking forward to the models that are released later down the track when they have had some market feedback on what people like or not.

Looks definitely sub par to me - middle of the road nib design, mediocre AS logo, clip meh, not to mention transverse banding ...

For the price I could get four to five pens with better looks!

Sometimes it`s better to let the dead rest in peace, but apparently there is a market for another luxury boutique brand. Yawn.

I completely disagree. I like everything about the pen except the medallion logo.

• 3 months later...

This pen came in the mail today. I have not tested it yet but it looks fantastic. They have managed to line up the pattern perfectly both when the pen is capped as well as uncapped (something that I think that the folks at OMAS had not done very consistently) . Looks nothing like the "brown snake" version in the article. Has a lovely original arco pattern along the clip and on the reverse side all perfectly lined up. I am not sure if this is true for just my pen or all pens in the series so please don't take this is as an endorsement. Surprisingly the cap lip too is not as thin as I had expected and there is a fair bit of material there. I am particularly pleased with the appearance so far, I will update this post on its performance in the coming days.

I am particularly bad a photography and so am not attaching any pictures. In case you want a specific picture of the pen, please let me know and I will upload it.

Regards

S