Sailor Kobe #1 Rokko Green

white_lotus

Sailor Kobe Nagasawa #1 Rokko Green (Upper Green)

I bought this ink quite a while ago, late 2015, and actually never got around to even using it, let alone writing a review. Shame on me, right? This is a murky green, and lovers of this color range can rejoice in the wonderful range of colors encompassing this term. And Sailor makes some nice ones.

The ink leans slightly towards blue rather than yellow. It's quite dark, but not as dark as BB Dandyism. It's more green than Sailor Miruai and less neutral than KWZ Foggy Green, the latter being the nearest in color from the KWZ range that I have. It has good flow and lubrication. The shading is more than minimal, but not great, just enough to show it's really a fountain pen and not a felt tip marker. Fairly dark but recognizably green. It has some water resistance, and on the papers I tried, was quite fast-drying compared with other inks. Some show through and a little bleed through on the cheaper inkjet paper, which may compromise writing on the verso depending on the nib being used. Sorry I don't have an ink droplet as the Beaumont pneumatic-filling mechanism aren't conducive to emptying a drop at a time.

Some people have said this ink is close in color to the long gone MB Racing Green. At present, readily available in Japan, also via Amazon (US), Vanness Pens. Maybe a few other places.

Pen: Edison Beaumont (F-steel)

Papers: MvL=Mohawk via Linen, TR=Tomoe River, Hij=Hammermill 28 lb inkjet, Rhodia=Rhodia 90g ivory.

Camera: iPhone 7

fpn_1492615469__img_5413.jpg
fpn_1492615499__img_5414.jpg
fpn_1492615528__img_5385.jpg
fpn_1492615555__img_5389.jpg
fpn_1492615578__img_5416.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_lotus

• amberleadavis

• da vinci

• Barkingpig

At least you HAD this ink; I just did a search, convinced I had it & found NO bottle! After flying to Vanness' site, I discovered the reason why, it doesn't show a very accurate color swatch on the bottle's label & I had skipped it, for that reason, fearing it was NOT the nice dark color your review indicates. I even have the old Nagasawa notebook showing the difference between the label & swab. I remember it was often difficult to determine from these swabs, or small lines of ink, in some cases to determine what color the ink would be.

BUT, thanks to you, I have remedied that situation & of course included the #21 to allow company for the green bottle of ink!

"white_lotus saves the day, AGAIN" & Vanness makes it possible for me to receive these before I forget what I have ordered; as always I thank you for showing a beautiful ink in another enjoyable review.

Yes, some of the Kobe bottle labels are far from accurate. I must admit, that for me, I've never met a swab I could trust when it comes to how an ink appears in writing, which is really all I care about.

My suggestion is use a wet pen if you want a fairly dark color. The Edison I used in the review is a 7 out of 10 on the wetness scale.

I bypassed this one, fearing it would be too blue-leaning. Clearly that was a mistake on my part....

Thanks for the review. And not....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This is one of my first loves from the Kobe line..... way back then, I did several tests on different papers and found that in general, it resembles MB Racing Green A LOT!!!!

There was time when Tas and I went on a rampage trying to create Racing Green (good old times.. lol)... and I kept coming back to Rokko Green. I think I even have it on the Doppelganger thread.

Is definitely one of my top greens. :wub: :wub:

Thanks for the lovely review...

C.

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Another great review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

My favorite color is green...green first bike, green first car, green living room walls, etc...but, for some reason, not my favorite ink color (dark red). But when I use green ink Kobe #1 Rokko Green is my favorite. Thanks so much for your thoughtful review, white_lotus. While I can see why you call this a slightly blue leaning green, to me it seems like a slightly brown leaning green although I never pick out the correct color of pant socks to match my dress pants...definitely some screwed up rods and cones in these eyes.

Fun Fact...I think this may have been discussed several years ago in a thread, but...Did you know that most insane letters written to newspapers are written in green ink?

http://blog.tigerpens.co.uk/green-ink-the-colour-of-eccentrics-and-spooks/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cpmonitor.wordpress.com/2012/07/13/greens-ink/amp/

Mary

Edited by mmg122

Thanks for your nice comments. I know my rods and cones are different. I lived in a house in New Mexico that I saw as blue-violet. Everyone else in the village called it the purple (or violet) house. I just knew they were all wrong. :)

Now that you mention it I remember this fun fact. Not many ballpoints with green ink. But I'll definitely keep green ink in mind for when I write a letter to the editor. Perhaps mix things up with Ishida Bungu Hakodate yama sandwiched between Kobe #1 Rokko Green and Kobe #28 Suzuran Green. Then they'll know I'm looney-bins.

I'm off to find some green ink.....

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY