I Have Pelikanitis

MilkThistle

^^ invisuu - That is stunning! Congratulations!

Somewhat like Ruth, of the 4 pens I have that cost over $100, 1 is a Parker and 3 are Pelikans.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillH

• jkingrph

• FOUR X FOUR

• MilkThistle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a pharmacist, you already know, some sickness have very high tolerance and sometimes are resistant to all types of treatment. The only true cure is going cold turkey. We all know that ain't going to happen soon.

My suggestion is to quit while you can. Once Pelikanitis starts becoming Pelikanoma.... You ain't coming back normal.

Best of luck.

You sound like me and the M10N series 😄

(But then there's a suit I've had my eye on and the employee 70% is coming up so 70% off of 1298, must jump on that 😆)

Like you and the M800, I do plan to get the whole range of nib sizes (as mentioned by a previous post) and colors (jubilee excluded for the sake of my wallet) as you have. But one thing at a time.

I must hope for both our sakes that neither of us go through long or strong relapse and may it remain reasonably mild 😉👍

"Reasonably mild"

Another thread could be started trying to define that, or come to some consensus. Like the threads trying to define vintage or grail. Is reasonably mild one Pelikan per year? One a quarter? Every month? Every one on eBay as fast as you can :wallbash: ? I think I just described the progression of pelikanitis.

What the medical folk didn't say was "don't scratch it, it will only make it worse." What the rest of us enablers say is "I can quit anytime I want. I don't want to today." What the heck... the bills are paid, the kids have moved away, and my Honey has all the shoes and fabric she wants. Pens keep grandpa off the streets so what's the harm? ymmv

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

"Reasonably mild"

Another thread could be started trying to define that, or come to some consensus. Like the threads trying to define vintage or grail. Is reasonably mild one Pelikan per year? One a quarter? Every month? Every one on eBay as fast as you can :wallbash: ? I think I just described the progression of pelikanitis.

What the medical folk didn't say was "don't scratch it, it will only make it worse." What the rest of us enablers say is "I can quit anytime I want. I don't want to today." What the heck... the bills are paid, the kids have moved away, and my Honey has all the shoes and fabric she wants. Pens keep grandpa off the streets so what's the harm? ymmv

Problem is, to my wallet anyway, there are too many other interests. I like old guns, primarily early Swedish Mauser, and Swiss straight pull bolt actions. The only good thing is that I can often purchase a rather pristine rifle, sometimes dating back to around 1900 for less than I can buy a new Pelikan pen in one of the larger sizes. Downsize is that the guns take a lot more space to store. I could also easily invest in old hand tools such as hand planes, levels, chisels ect if it were not for the space problem. I could have a large collection of pens in a shoebox as compared to a large room for some other items that really interest me, plus I can carry a pen on a daily basis anywhere I choose to go.

Regards

Jeff

Hello Eric. That's cute, but have you seen the upcoming Renaissance Brown?

pelikan-m800-renaissance-brown.jpg

(just kidding a little bit, welcome and awesome collection!!!)

I like how your wife's K600 is part of your collection!

Once you discover that Pelikan has been making all kinds of different nibs over the years, the fun really begins ...

What a great group. You made me laugh! You made me cry!

I was going to "MultiQuote" and respond, but that would take me about 1 hour at least!

Many Thanks for the Welcome. All of you are fantastic.

I think that my appetite for Pelikans is sated, at least for now. I think.

Eric

PS: All the reviews that I have seen on the M800 Burnt Orange state that one downside is - No Ink Window.

Well, a low lumen led is all it takes!

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b459/MilkThistle29/BurntOrange_zpsbi1yxkic.jpeg

Sorry to be the one to tell you that, but there isn' t a cure for this kind of illness.....waaaaaay back i only wanted one Pelikan, a green striped 800.....i like larger pens, and the green stripes are classic, right?

Today my 800 sized ones reach a dozend + as much nibs for change including some custom grinds, not to mention my vintage birds.....

Speaking of Custom;

I am thinking that, of the 3 Italic Broad that I have, one is not performing as well as the other two.

Nibs.com has a nice video of getting an IB up to snuff as a Cursive Italic.

Do you folks recommend such an activity? Will it devalue the nib?

I don't dare mess with it myself.

Thanks,

Eric

Congrats on a nice collection! I would suggest slowing down and enjoying the pens you have. I know I got six pens since January with one more in the main and I really have not gotten to really know any of them. I think I will slow down to no more then one ever three months.

Again you have a great collection going!

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I may also be afflicted, although I suspect it is the "vintage" strain which ails me... Could someone please confirm the diagnosis?

P.S. - nice collection you have :)

post-134267-0-02898900-1494106750_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the board. Happy to tell there is an cure for what you have.

I had the same issue. Had it pretty bad as well. Even started bidding on the pelikan maki-e auction which I luckily did not win..

The cure is your holy grail pen. For me it was the Pelikan Gaudi. After I found and bought an NIB Gaudi two years ago my pen-addiction was gone completely. I had no lust for any other pen.

Until the Grand place from last year came out and everything started again...

anyway, good luck with an nice addiction ;).

Pelikan nut

I believe I may also be afflicted, although I suspect it is the "vintage" strain which ails me... Could someone please confirm the diagnosis?

Yep, that's it alright. Vintage, eh? We've seen that before and sometimes the sufferer only has that strain to live with... but usually not :lticaptd:

Robert, it sounds like buying the grail pen is only a temporary solution. Perhaps your credit account was just in a coma? Congrats on shaking it off! The Grand Place is definitely a fine one. And the Gaudi is my grail pen as well.

Hi.

I basically lurk on the FPN, and learn.

I've PM'd (a dude here that is also a pharamcist and also has the Burnt Orange Fountain & Ballpoint - [i bet that is pretty rare triplet!]). And been PM'd (by a dude that lives close enough - and that I have already talked to; going to hang out some day and talk pens & stuff).

Anyway, my name is Eric and here is my story:

I bought my first fountain pen (Parker 75 Thuya Laque) in 1983 when I was in my 2nd year of college. Bought my second (Dupont small gatsby) a year or two after that. Bought a third (Mont Blanc 145) in the early 90's that barely got used.

Came here after I dropped $50 on the Diamond 580. Promised in my intro post that I was going to hide my wallet. Got laughed at.

Saw the Souveran M805 Demonstrator on MassDrop. Damn...I tried, I really did. I kept dreaming about it. Damn it!...ok. I'll buy this crazy expensive pen and be done. Plus it is Limited Edition, right?

One hit: That was all.

My next hit had to be more affordable. "Can't fall into this chasm" - I told myself. Just a small hit. M600 - Red. (can't find the M800 Red too easy, so yeah, M600 will be all I need. Then, done.)

Ok, Ok, the Burnt Orange is absolutely Killing ME! Damn it! Ok, calm down...they make a BallPoint. Ahhhhh, yes, that will satisfy the need for Orange! Yeah.

What's this? Italic Broad? On an M800? for a decent price??? Ok; even a Moron can justify this! I need one. Blue please.

Wow. This IB has Improved my Handwriting! Holy Cow! What is That worth! Send me the Green one as well, please. And, yeah, send the K600 Pink for the wife to make her an unwitting co-conspirator.

Ok. These things are fantastic - and the Burnt Orange must come to me - at any cost. Plus it is Limited Edition, right?

Double Broad, please.

Wow, compared to that Burnt Orange, another IB is cheap!!! Another one in Blue, please!

All of this. In less than 2 months.

My name is Eric, and I have Pelikanitis.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b459/MilkThistle29/Pelikan1_zpsyfs9erdd.jpeg

PS: I have decided to give the second Blue Italic Broad to my nearly 80 year old Mom. She checked out the one I had already and fell in love. Plus her handwriting is absolutely stunning. (School Teachers!)

PSS: From now on I will only buy Ink. That's not addictive, right?

I like the cigar box are you a fellow cigar connoisseur?

Glad I'm immune to the disease! I only have a couple. Let me count them. Hmmm... where did all those Pelikans come from? 19? With 7 M800 size fountain pens several with matching ball points. Waa? When did this happen! Is there a shot for this???

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hi.

I basically lurk on the FPN, and learn.

I've PM'd (a dude here that is also a pharamcist and also has the Burnt Orange Fountain & Ballpoint - [i bet that is pretty rare triplet!]). And been PM'd (by a dude that lives close enough - and that I have already talked to; going to hang out some day and talk pens & stuff).

Anyway, my name is Eric and here is my story:

I bought my first fountain pen (Parker 75 Thuya Laque) in 1983 when I was in my 2nd year of college. Bought my second (Dupont small gatsby) a year or two after that. Bought a third (Mont Blanc 145) in the early 90's that barely got used.

Came here after I dropped $50 on the Diamond 580. Promised in my intro post that I was going to hide my wallet. Got laughed at.

Saw the Souveran M805 Demonstrator on MassDrop. Damn...I tried, I really did. I kept dreaming about it. Damn it!...ok. I'll buy this crazy expensive pen and be done. Plus it is Limited Edition, right?

One hit: That was all.

My next hit had to be more affordable. "Can't fall into this chasm" - I told myself. Just a small hit. M600 - Red. (can't find the M800 Red too easy, so yeah, M600 will be all I need. Then, done.)

Ok, Ok, the Burnt Orange is absolutely Killing ME! Damn it! Ok, calm down...they make a BallPoint. Ahhhhh, yes, that will satisfy the need for Orange! Yeah.

What's this? Italic Broad? On an M800? for a decent price??? Ok; even a Moron can justify this! I need one. Blue please.

Wow. This IB has Improved my Handwriting! Holy Cow! What is That worth! Send me the Green one as well, please. And, yeah, send the K600 Pink for the wife to make her an unwitting co-conspirator.

Ok. These things are fantastic - and the Burnt Orange must come to me - at any cost. Plus it is Limited Edition, right?

Double Broad, please.

Wow, compared to that Burnt Orange, another IB is cheap!!! Another one in Blue, please!

All of this. In less than 2 months.

My name is Eric, and I have Pelikanitis.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b459/MilkThistle29/Pelikan1_zpsyfs9erdd.jpeg

PS: I have decided to give the second Blue Italic Broad to my nearly 80 year old Mom. She checked out the one I had already and fell in love. Plus her handwriting is absolutely stunning. (School Teachers!)

PSS: From now on I will only buy Ink. That's not addictive, right?

Eric...surely you're missing the Stresemann! It will look so nice next to your other striped M800's.

Welcome to the club!

Glad I'm immune to the disease! I only have a couple. Let me count them. Hmmm... where did all those Pelikans come from? 19? With 7 M800 size fountain pens several with matching ball points. Waa? When did this happen! Is there a shot for this???

:lticaptd:

Okay, clearly you're NOT immune. And that I have a mild case by comparison.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

:lticaptd:

Okay, clearly you're NOT immune. And that I have a mild case by comparison.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Be careful. It can have sometimes sudden, severe flareups, best controlled by lower "dose" ie periodic purchases.

Regards

Jeff

Hi! I too "suffer" from this "terrible" affliction. ;)

Vintage ones only though... Post WWII 100N/101N and 140 being my particular strain (even though I do have a bunch of other vintage ones, 120/400/400NN/500 etc.).

Here, behold, the "horrible" symptoms...

Very nice collection and nice to see a fellow Finn here! :)

"sudden severe flareups"... check. I recognize that. But I always thought small "controlled doses" were a symptom? Huh, who knew? Think I'll meander over to the 'bay and stand in line for another dose. :lol:

Mana, I love the pics you share of your wonderful collection. Thank you!

Eric, you have Pelikanphylia. Pelikanitis is inflammation of your Pelikan. That just itches. :lticaptd:

I think it is great that you can share this hobby with your old Mom. Even though TWSBI sent my mother a complimentary Diamond 540, she never warmed to fps. Forever attached to ballpoint pens, especially that Duofold I got for her.

Anyway, enjoy your pause in fountain pen acquisition. There will be many.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !