I Have Pelikanitis

MilkThistle

Hi.

I basically lurk on the FPN, and learn.

I've PM'd (a dude here that is also a pharamcist and also has the Burnt Orange Fountain & Ballpoint - [i bet that is pretty rare triplet!]). And been PM'd (by a dude that lives close enough - and that I have already talked to; going to hang out some day and talk pens & stuff).

Anyway, my name is Eric and here is my story:

I bought my first fountain pen (Parker 75 Thuya Laque) in 1983 when I was in my 2nd year of college. Bought my second (Dupont small gatsby) a year or two after that. Bought a third (Mont Blanc 145) in the early 90's that barely got used.

Came here after I dropped $50 on the Diamond 580. Promised in my intro post that I was going to hide my wallet. Got laughed at.

Saw the Souveran M805 Demonstrator on MassDrop. Damn...I tried, I really did. I kept dreaming about it. Damn it!...ok. I'll buy this crazy expensive pen and be done. Plus it is Limited Edition, right?

One hit: That was all.

My next hit had to be more affordable. "Can't fall into this chasm" - I told myself. Just a small hit. M600 - Red. (can't find the M800 Red too easy, so yeah, M600 will be all I need. Then, done.)

Ok, Ok, the Burnt Orange is absolutely Killing ME! Damn it! Ok, calm down...they make a BallPoint. Ahhhhh, yes, that will satisfy the need for Orange! Yeah.

What's this? Italic Broad? On an M800? for a decent price??? Ok; even a Moron can justify this! I need one. Blue please.

Wow. This IB has Improved my Handwriting! Holy Cow! What is That worth! Send me the Green one as well, please. And, yeah, send the K600 Pink for the wife to make her an unwitting co-conspirator.

Ok. These things are fantastic - and the Burnt Orange must come to me - at any cost. Plus it is Limited Edition, right?

Double Broad, please.

Wow, compared to that Burnt Orange, another IB is cheap!!! Another one in Blue, please!

All of this. In less than 2 months.

My name is Eric, and I have Pelikanitis.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b459/MilkThistle29/Pelikan1_zpsyfs9erdd.jpeg

PS: I have decided to give the second Blue Italic Broad to my nearly 80 year old Mom. She checked out the one I had already and fell in love. Plus her handwriting is absolutely stunning. (School Teachers!)

PSS: From now on I will only buy Ink. That's not addictive, right?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillH

• jkingrph

• FOUR X FOUR

• MilkThistle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Eric. That's cute, but have you seen the upcoming Renaissance Brown?

pelikan-m800-renaissance-brown.jpg

(just kidding a little bit, welcome and awesome collection!!!)

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate...

or, as we say around here, Welcome to the nicest group of enablers you're likely to meet this side of rehab.

btw, nice collection so far!

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Ha, nice!! Beautiful collection. I like the box below you keep them in, too! Welcome to the club; you're in good company :)

I have bought, cursed and renounced, then circled back to Pelikan twice already in the past few years. They are great writers! That demo is on my wishlist. Enjoy them in good health, as other members on here say!

Very nice!

I have had an 800 for 15 years now, I think I purchased 5 nibs to insert at my whim, I think I could find 2 of them now which are usually in the rotation.

The 600's have many more beautiful pens than the 800's. ;)

And you can mount a vintage '50-65 semi-flex nib on them. :puddle:

(If you don't insist on two tone.)

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Nice collection. Pelikans are great pens, I have purchased a new M805 and M600 this year already.

Yeah, that happens, especially early on. Just give in and enjoy. Deal with consequences later, or never. ;)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

And the Pelikan witch cries, "To be a true convert, you must acquire one in each size model, every color, every nib, and as much paraphernalia as you can find! Come now, enter the Circle and become a complete devotee!"

Welcome, Milk Thistle!

:W2FPN:

Fair winds and following seas.

Welcome to the club! :thumbup:

Just wait until you try out some vintage Pelikans….. :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Hello Eric. That's cute, but have you seen the upcoming Renaissance Brown?

pelikan-m800-renaissance-brown.jpg

(just kidding a little bit, welcome and awesome collection!!!)

You stop that, Invisuu, he came here asking for our help. We shouldn't be enabling him. Just between you and me, did you get a good deal on that beauty?

totally get that... I fell in love with Pelikan over 20 years ago and got the 800 rollerball (blue stripe)... then the FP.. then the ball point ... finally felt the calling to complete the set and got the pencil... all matching 800s... I was good for a while. Then started using the M800 more often for work correspondence... I wanted cooler ink that was still business suitable but with a bit of flair... Iroshizuki Kon Peki fit the bill.... now waiting for Tsuki-yo and Caran d'ache Ultra Violet to arrive... But wait... I have wait so long before refilling to use a different color? I need another pen... and not just any pen... another M800... I read all of the posts & reviews ... nothing compares to a Pelikan... My new red striped M800 should be here tomorrow. Hopefully that will bring my fever down. :)

Welcome to our group. Many of us suffer from the same addiction. Trouble with letting a Pelikan into your house is, that they tend to reproduce.

You've made some good choices in pens so far. The making of a nice collection.

I use to think of myself as a collector, but now I realize that I've surpassed collecting and become more of an accumulator. So you see there is stil farther to fall. Beware and enjoy.

One more thing. Your post was very nicely worded. It felt like I could follow along as if you were speaking. I guess you can call that a left handed compliment.

As a physician, I'm sorry to tell you that the condition is incurable. It can be managed but ultimately will prove fatal to your wallet. You'll find many equally afflicted souls on this forum though which makes for a nice support group. Unfortunately, that only tends to speed up the progress of the disease. Research into a cure is ongoing and donations of Raden or Maki-e pens will help in the fight against this insidious affliction. Stay strong.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I like how your wife's K600 is part of your collection!

Once you discover that Pelikan has been making all kinds of different nibs over the years, the fun really begins ...

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

As a physician, I'm sorry to tell you that the condition is incurable. It can be managed but ultimately will prove fatal to your wallet. You'll find many equally afflicted souls on this forum though which makes for a nice support group. Unfortunately, that only tends to speed up the progress of the disease. Research into a cure is ongoing and donations of Raden or Maki-e pens will help in the fight against this insidious affliction. Stay strong.

Too funny.... nothing like a charitable donation to get a glimmer of hope..

Well, I am the other pharmacist that has the burnt orange M800 fountain pen and matching ballpoint. Milk Thistle PM'd me and we had a discussion about them. I like the colors especially since they are associated with my birthday, Halloween. Currently I have all the striped M800's, probably my favorite size, and have an order in for the Renaissance Brown, the pattern of which reminds me of some of the old Conway Stewart pens.

I agree with sargetalon, the condition is incurable, it's really an addiction worse than any drug. The only solution is to keep feeding it to the point of the demise of your wallet.

Regards

Jeff

I'm really a Parker girl -- I'm an absolute sucker for Vectors,; my red Shadow Wave Vac has been in constant rotation without even being flushed since August 2015. And my Plum 51 Demi? They'll have to pry that pen from my cold dead fingers.

But all my *really* expensive (as in >$150 US) pens? They're Pelikans.... :blush: [most recently, the M405 Stresemann and an M405 Striated Blue].

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."