Montblanc 149 (1985-1990)

Jebus

fpn_1492356715__img_0368.jpg

The beginning

Once in a while one is thinking about the obvious…. Said to be an iconic brand and supported by true believers over naysayers. After some thorough thoughts I had made the decision that a Montblanc would suit my rather modest - I would not call it a collection - bunch of fountain pens. Whether it will be as a total victim of marketing or just out of curiosity to own one of these; it actually doesn’t matter anymore…

After browsing the classifieds for a while I managed to get my hands on a late 80’s model that was part of a collection. The owner was selling the pens he was never using. So I was able to buy a model that was only on display and has never been inked before.

I, on the other hand, am planning to use it. I don’t have the budget nor the intention to buy pens just to leave them mint in box (with lots of respect to the people that do) so I have been experiencing the Montblanc 149 for a couple of weeks now.

fpn_1492356705__img_0354.jpg

Dating

Examining my acquisition via the topic on the Montblanc sub-forum my 149 dates between 1985 and 1990: split ebonite feed, bi-color 14K nib, 2 section barrel and the plastic threads.

After doing quite a lot of reading I have made the decision to go for the 14 carat nib. Do not ask why. Actually more a general opinion that has formed after browsing through a lot of topics. And to be honest, because a 50’s model is currently out of range regarding the budget…

In my humble opinion I could not get wrong with a first 149 which makes the productiondate inferior. Though I must admit to be pleased to have another pen that was produced in the era that I used to be a little boy. Whether call it “vintage” or not.

Design

Nothing new, it is what it is, for over half a decade. For my standards the pen looks huge. When closed the size draws attention. Open and ready to write you just cannot stop looking at the nib.

I tend not to post my cap. Without the cap it obviously becomes accentuated what a big fat pen the 149 is. Though it stays in harmony and is certainly not disturbing.

Experience

The writing experience of the 149 is great. The size is not an issue although you have to get used to it. It do is quite a heavy pen but the balance is outstanding so the weight isn’t causing any harm to the writing itself. Even for long runs it stays comfortable.

fpn_1492356723__img_0373.jpg

Nib

The 149 is fitted with a 14K medium nib. Regarding the amount of flex I tend to compare with my Pelikan M400 from the same era. The Montblanc has not that much “flex” (though the Pelikan has some sort of “vintage flex”) but has a good response while writing. The limited flexibility of the nib is not causing any harm for some quick notes on low grade paper. To be honest my knowledge to the different grades of flexibility is very limited. Actually limited to the comparison of my own pens. Other member who can compare the difference in 149 nibs, feel free to join in.

My final statement regarding the flexibility, no matter what it really is, I like it.

The medium nib is a wet and very smooth writer. A couple of days ago I had it modified to a stub by Fountainbel. It adds character and has even improved on smoothness.

This overall combination makes it an outstanding nib. Very enjoyable to write. I would even call it “addictive”…

Conclusion

I took a while before I have made the step to actually buy a Montblanc. I had my mind set on a 149 or a Le Grand. I don’t know whether I will ever buy a Le Grand after holding my own 149. Time will tell.

I am very pleased with my purchase and enjoy the writing with this wonderful Meisterstück.

fpn_1492356694__img_0289.jpg

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jebus

• visvamitra

• mitto

• Albert26

A true symbol in the world of pens, and a class and status icon.

For regular use, however, I prefer the 146, much more ergonomic and user-friendly in my opinion. The 149 is more like a signature pen for me. Just too much.

Nice review. Enjoy your pen!

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

Congratulations on a fine pen and a great review. You will always enjoy owning a 149 from this era.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Well organized and thought out review. Welcome to the club.

I go between my 149's and 146's. There is always at least one inked up, and i never seem to tire of them. Enjoy your pen.

Nice review. I have two 149's - one with a BB nib from around 1994/5 and the 'rose gold' trim version with M nib, bought in November 2016. I enjoy writing with both - I enjoy cleaning them and buffing them to a brilliant shine - there's just something 'special' about a 149. Enjoy it every day!

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill