Jinhao 992 Informal Review

truthpil

I was wondering if the crack/disintegration problem occurs also to the non transparent version of this pen.

I have the transparent (uncoloured) version of this pen since 2017, as I bought it even before it was reviewed here on FPN.

Fair enough, after a short while it developed a crack in the small bottom finial, which I had not noticed initially. When I read about the potential cracking issue I checked the pen, and it was there.

There has been past discussion about the cracking problem in demonstrators which seems to be tied to the polystyrene type of plastic which is needed to give transparency and the shape of the pens, which tends to created uneven pressure points inside the plastic, eventually developing a crack in the weak points.

No doubt the quality of the plastic used has a lot to do with it too. TWSBI pens tend to crack too, but not as regularly as this one...

It might be possible that the solid colours crack less due to a different plastic mix used. Any experiences?

I keep this pen in my office drawer as a "safety" pen, so it does not get used so much. Honestly if I have to choose a similar pen the Wing Sung 3008 is another planet, although costing more, but still being very affordable.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have piles of Chinese pens that have not disintegrated -- some many years old. This seems to be almost a Jinhao exclusive "feature";-)

You may have a point there. Even my all-metal Jinhao pens eventually start leaking from the seams of the section after a couple years of occasional use and flushing with a bulb syringe. My theory is that the pressure of the bulb syringe when flushing gradually opens the seams, which is pretty pathetic.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

There has been past discussion about the cracking problem in demonstrators which seems to be tied to the polystyrene type of plastic which is needed to give transparency and the shape of the pens, which tends to created uneven pressure points inside the plastic, eventually developing a crack in the weak points.

Two issues. Transparent plastic does not have to crack. I just fished out a Sheaffer Dollar Pen of the pointy-headed middle generation so c.1960. It's seen a lot of use. The plastic is somewhat cloudy with scratches and the sharp edge at the closed end is smoothed over. The cap has many spots where rust seems to be coming through the plating. But it's all in one piece, with no cracks. OTOH there is no knobby bit rammed into the closed end, which is instead reinforced with three ribs.

Two issues. Transparent plastic does not have to crack. I just fished out a Sheaffer Dollar Pen of the pointy-headed middle generation so c.1960. It's seen a lot of use. The plastic is somewhat cloudy with scratches and the sharp edge at the closed end is smoothed over. The cap has many spots where rust seems to be coming through the plating. But it's all in one piece, with no cracks. OTOH there is no knobby bit rammed into the closed end, which is instead reinforced with three ribs.

I semi-collect Sheaffer school pens, and some of the sadder examples do have cracks. Most don't.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I was wondering if the crack/disintegration problem occurs also to the non transparent version of this pen.

It might be possible that the solid colours crack less due to a different plastic mix used. Any experiences?

For what it's worth, the only 992 to break up on me was an opaque green version. (cap ring and the underlying plastic broke right off with a feather-touch)

I do like my remaining 992s, nice writers, nice shape*, but I feel like I have to treat them with kid gloves now - which is not the point of an ultra-cheap version of a product, in my view! That experience has also been the one that convinced me to knock the splurging on cheap chinese pens, and save up for a few sturdier models.

* I like the 991s too, for their unobtrusive disposa-ball look, though I'm surprised by how boring they've become to me. Fine for tinkering with, and would be fine for throwing in a back pocket, but again, I'm made paranoid about how easily that plastic would shatter.

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

Well, you're right actually, I also have two Sheaffer non-nonsense in blue and purple tranpsarent plastic and they are still perfect...

It's evident someone knows how to make a better plastic...

fpn_1548626738__p1160555-3_sheaffer_non-

I semi-collect Sheaffer school pens, and some of the sadder examples do have cracks. Most don't.

Yeah, I managed to crack one by stepping on it. I did not mean to suggest they never crack, only that they are not suicidal;-)

Yeah, I managed to crack one by stepping on it. I did not mean to suggest they never crack, only that they are not suicidal;-)

I will say that my cracked examples came in a mixed batch of (mostly) awful pens off fleabay. :)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 4 months later...

I've found an interesting chinese set composed of a jinhao 992 and a lanbitou 3059, both new, for 12 euro.

I'd like to know how can them be evaluated, if compared, just for example, with a Sheaffer No Nonsense (that in my country can be found for less than 20 euro).

Considering I'm about to reprise the fountain pens usage after a while... I'd like to know if this set could be a right choice for me.

:)

I've found an interesting chinese set composed of a jinhao 992 and a lanbitou 3059, both new, for 12 euro.

I'd like to know how can them be evaluated, if compared, just for example, with a Sheaffer No Nonsense (that in my country can be found for less than 20 euro).

Considering I'm about to reprise the fountain pens usage after a while... I'd like to know if this set could be a right choice for me.

That's way too much to pay for those pens. Personally, after having to throw away two of the four 992s I've bought, I cannot recommend the pen at all. On my last 992 the cap finial totally snapped off for no reason after a couple days of light use!

If you don't mind the shape and size of a Sheaffer No-nonsense, I would recommend grabbing a NOS model from the 80s or earlier on eBay. They are wonderful pens! The old Sheaffer "cartridge" pens also work will and can be had for cheap.

I really like the no nonsense shape (and I've found one of them for 15 euro: a never used NOS...) but the thing annoying me is the fact it requires proprietary cartridges. :(

I really like the no nonsense shape (and I've found one of them for 15 euro: a never used NOS...) but the thing annoying me is the fact it requires proprietary cartridges. :(

They will take the standard Sheaffer converter. All my 1980s no-nonsense pens have modern converters and work great. The old school pens, however, can only take cartridges.

Unfortunately the standard Sheaffer converter costs more than the no nonsense itself.

So I don't know if it worth or not to buy this pen... :(

Unfortunately the standard Sheaffer converter costs more than the no nonsense itself.

So I don't know if it worth or not to buy this pen... :(

Aww nuts, I guess it depends on where you live. I got mine for around US$9 on amazon. Refilling used cartridges is pretty easy and what I still do whenever I want to use an ink that I'm afraid will stain the converter.

At this point it depends (also) if the pen worth the price or if for the same price there is the chance to get a more valuable pen (new or NOS).

If you want something of similar price to the 992 and with a similar writing experience, it would be worth your while to look into current Hero pens as well.

If you want something of similar price to the 992 and with a similar writing experience, it would be worth your while to look into current Hero pens as well.

Indipendently of the writing experience (that I'll know only at the moment of usage) I'd like to buy the best I can with the smal budget of 15/20 euro.

Sheaffer No Nonsense could be an option but I don't know if it's the best option for that price or there are (very) better options for the same price.

On eBay in the USA the Lanbitou and 992 can both be bought for less than half the price you quoted, and that includes shipping. Outside the USA you would have to ask someone in the country you have in mind. USA subsidizes postage from China so that reduces the price of Chinese pens here.

I cannot speak to the Lanbitou, but the 992 and other Jinhaos have not been very reliable in my experience, though the nibs are OK. Too many arrive such that ink will not flow through them. Others break. In contrast, the cheapest Sheaffers of the 1960 are still working -- I own dozens. The nibs are also OK. I did get the impression that the nibs were essentially the same in the Viewpoint/No Nonsense pens as in the cheaper pens -- originally called the Sheaffer Dollar Pen before inflation. But it also seemed that Sheaffer polished the nibs in the more expensive models while you had to break in the Dollar Pens. But while these inexpensive models are good pens, they are beginning to inch into the collector realm. I searched eBay USA for Sheaffer pens by price and they now start around $10 for used ones, and very few are available. And as already mentioned, the converters are expensive as well. However, I have used standard international cartridges in these. I usually poke a pilot hole in the flat end, but others report good results inserting the cartridges the usual way. If you like the No Nonsense pens, 15 Euro for a NOS one is a good deal.

My Dollar Pens work fine with the older metal Sheaffer converters but not with the plastic ones. It can be a bit hit or miss though as the Dollar Pens predate Sheaffer converters so no effort was taken to make sure converters would fit.

At the link below you can find brief reviews of many fountain pens from China that sell for less than $2US postpaid on eBay. You would have to check price and availability for your own country.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/330996-best-cheap-fountain-pens-under-2-us/

Many thanks !

On eBay in the USA the Lanbitou and 992 can both be bought for less than half the price you quoted, and that includes shipping. Outside the USA you would have to ask someone in the country you have in mind. USA subsidizes postage from China so that reduces the price of Chinese pens here.

I cannot speak to the Lanbitou, but the 992 and other Jinhaos have not been very reliable in my experience, though the nibs are OK. Too many arrive such that ink will not flow through them. Others break. In contrast, the cheapest Sheaffers of the 1960 are still working -- I own dozens. The nibs are also OK. I did get the impression that the nibs were essentially the same in the Viewpoint/No Nonsense pens as in the cheaper pens -- originally called the Sheaffer Dollar Pen before inflation. But it also seemed that Sheaffer polished the nibs in the more expensive models while you had to break in the Dollar Pens. But while these inexpensive models are good pens, they are beginning to inch into the collector realm. I searched eBay USA for Sheaffer pens by price and they now start around $10 for used ones, and very few are available. And as already mentioned, the converters are expensive as well. However, I have used standard international cartridges in these. I usually poke a pilot hole in the flat end, but others report good results inserting the cartridges the usual way. If you like the No Nonsense pens, 15 Euro for a NOS one is a good deal.

My Dollar Pens work fine with the older metal Sheaffer converters but not with the plastic ones. It can be a bit hit or miss though as the Dollar Pens predate Sheaffer converters so no effort was taken to make sure converters would fit.

At the link below you can find brief reviews of many fountain pens from China that sell for less than $2US postpaid on eBay. You would have to check price and availability for your own country.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/330996-best-cheap-fountain-pens-under-2-us/

• 5 weeks later...