Jinhao 992 Informal Review

truthpil

Since I never eyedropper anything, and these fit my hand so well, I just ordered a green and a black. :)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPDATE II:

Hello all,

Some sad news to report...

http://i.imgur.com/N2eEYmp.jpg

It happened when I tried unscrewing the cap to write a short note. This pen was never dropped and it never left my desk at home.

I pulled the nib and feed and kept the converter and tossed all the plastics. This pen was still on its FIRST fill of ink.

I think the plastic on these pens is excessively brittle; I've also experienced some of the trademark Jinhao "dry out" with the other 3 I'm testing, (I was hoping threaded caps would eliminate that problem, but no).

This whole experience brought to mind something my father always used to try to drum into my thick head...

"You get what you pay for."

The purchase of a non-disposable item should profit BOTH parties; I paid $1.67 for this pen and it was to Jinhao's profit; not mine. I never expected to bequeath this pen to anyone, but I didn't expect it fail in less than a week's time, either.

- Anthony

EDIT, PS: In case you've read my first "Update"; you might be wondering where the fifth pen is... I had given it to my mom to play with and she lost it... the pen, that is. :D

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Mine, a "Transparent Black" has arrived. Examination with a loupe showed no cracks. I must look at through Polaroid sunnies to check for plastic stressing.

It is a little longer and a little (0.5mm) narrower in the section than a Sailor ProColor 500.

It only weighs about 9 g, empty.

The nib is marked F(ine), but appears to be a bit wider than that. Dipping and writing the nib appears to be perfectly aligned, just appropriately wet, and nicely smooth. No adjustment needed.

I now have to decide what in to put in it.

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

UPDATE II:

Hello all,

Some sad news to report...

http://i.imgur.com/N2eEYmp.jpg

It happened when I tried unscrewing the cap to write a short note. This pen was never dropped and it never left my desk at home.

I pulled the nib and feed and kept the converter and tossed all the plastics. This pen was still on its FIRST fill of ink.

Oh dear, we seem to have shared exactly the same experience. My commiserations.

Sorry to hear all the bad news!

I'm having higher hopes for the 991. A week of daily use all over town and not even a hint of a crack.

Maybe they finally got the plastic right?? Time will tell.

Edited by TruthPil

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I purchased one recently as well and like it very much !!

Seeing the o-ring I had the same thought, aha an eye dropper pen, my first.

Alas, it did not work out quite that well, the barrel was ink tight but before long I had large drops on or near the end of the nib.

I am back to a cartridge.

As its see through I will be using the brighter colors, makes it look more interesting.

So sorry to hear about all the folks having issues with cracking. I've run through one fill in a transparent green 992, and I'm most of the way the first fill of my transparent brown 992. No trouble at all or hint thereof as yet, but I confess that I keep giving them the suspicious side-eye. Though I'm hoping that either I got lucky (as many people seem to have) or the brittle ones were due to an issue with a particular batch (or number of batches). I really do like these pens a lot, and would be sad to see them crumble to shards in my hand.

Oh dear, we seem to have shared exactly the same experience. My commiserations.

Hi Grainweevil,

Sorry to hear you and I have shared the same grim fate. We'll just have to soldier on and put these dark days behind us. :)

It is a shame, but not altogether unexpected.

- Anthony

So sorry to hear about all the folks having issues with cracking. I've run through one fill in a transparent green 992, and I'm most of the way the first fill of my transparent brown 992. No trouble at all or hint thereof as yet, but I confess that I keep giving them the suspicious side-eye. Though I'm hoping that either I got lucky (as many people seem to have) or the brittle ones were due to an issue with a particular batch (or number of batches). I really do like these pens a lot, and would be sad to see them crumble to shards in my hand.

Hi Thudthwacker,

That's entirely possible... I might have hit the Bizarro World Lottery and won a bad batch of lemons...I guess buying these pens is a lot like rolling the dice.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

My six arrived today. I haven't inked any of them, but they look great.

Yet another Sarah.

Seems a shame ('specially since I just ordered two new ones), but on the bright side, this has to be one of the most intensely reviewed and scrutinized two-dollar pens in history.

Thanks for starting it, TruthPil.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

Seems a shame ('specially since I just ordered two new ones), but on the bright side, this has to be one of the most intensely reviewed and scrutinized two-dollar pens in history.

Thanks for starting it, TruthPil.

Thanks for the thanks, although I'm kind of regretting it now that so many folks are getting ripped off on cracked pens.

Mine is still working fine and the little cracks aren't getting any bigger. I like the size and design so much that I think I'll have to get a Lingmo with the one-piece barrel.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I only purchased 4 of the 992s, feeling that the experience would be much like the 599 plastics. I am always extremely careful with my pens It was very interesting, while writing in my prayer journal, the cap finial of the coffee colored pen broke off in my hands. I've glued it back on, and will let it dry and see the outcome. My 992s are for use for teaching notes, journal writing and message taking. If they crack, then I'm not at a loss. Now back to my true pen collection. B)

I've EDed the remaining three, and I'm going to do the same with the green one, having written the converter dry. I'm going to leave the four standing vertically with the barrel end down for two weeks while I'm out of state. We'll see if there's any seepage from those four during that time.

Good point, Sailor, that this is very likely the most heavily scrutinized $2 pen in history :D

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

...although I'm kind of regretting it now that so many folks are getting ripped off on cracked pens.

Hi TruthPil,

You needn't feel that way; it's not your fault that the pens are defective. All you did was write a pen review based on your own personal experience... that is all any of us can do.

The fact that the pens are turning out to be problematic is Jinhao's fault - not your's, (unless they are compensating you for these reviews). Otherwise, you've done nothing wrong.

I think what burned me on these pens is that I REALLY wanted them to work out.

Oh, well... such is life. :D

I'll keep an eye on those 991's and see how they pan out over the next couple of months. At this price point; I'd be more than satisfied with just 6-12 months of reliable service. :)

- Anthony

Meanwhile, the ones I have left are great for nib work practice.

:vbg:

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Thanks for the thanks, although I'm kind of regretting it now that so many folks are getting ripped off on cracked pens.

Mine is still working fine and the little cracks aren't getting any bigger. I like the size and design so much that I think I'll have to get a Lingmo with the one-piece barrel.

I hear ya, but I don't feel like I got ripped off. They fit my hand, look pretty, and it's been a fun ride.

I hear ya, but I don't feel like I got ripped off. They fit my hand, look pretty, and it's been a fun ride.

That's a great attitude, Sailor. Good for you. :)

:thumbup:

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hi TruthPil,

You needn't feel that way; it's not your fault that the pens are defective. All you did was write a pen review based on your own personal experience... that is all any of us can do.

The fact that the pens are turning out to be problematic is Jinhao's fault - not your's, (unless they are compensating you for these reviews). Otherwise, you've done nothing wrong.

I'll say one thing, this whole experience has been a great object lesson for me... and something I'm keenly aware of in every other facet of my life... but pens make me squirrelly and I lose my objectivity.

At any rate, these two basic principles will always apply to anything in life... One, There Aint No Such Thing As a Free Lunch, (and cheap lunches are usually undigestible :lol: ), and, you get what you pay for.

I paid $1.67 for a fountain pen and that's exactly what I got. I think from now on, I'll stick with Platinum's, Pilots and Lamys for my budget pen needs.

Oh, well... such is life. :D

- Anthony

PS: I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with the ten I have left in the dealer pack. :unsure: I cannot hand these pens out to the newbie or the unaccustomed... as was my original intention.However, they're great for nib work practice.

:vbg:

See if you can make one into a CI!

See if you can make one into a CI!

:lol:

Why not?! I might. I've never tried grinding a nib... I'm usually satisfied if I can just get 'em as wet and as smooth as I like 'em.

- Anthony

Mine has arrived, and I am very pleased with it. I have examined it closely with a loupe, and there are no cracks visible.

The nib is one of the best in my collection, being almost as smooth as a Pilot Medium, and is cut in a way that, while not being a stub, shows some of those characteristics, and writes with nice variation.

It is a little bit narrower than a Sailor ProColor 500, and a little bit longer. I find mine more comfortable when posting.

I rather hope that Jinhao make a version based on the larger Sailor 1911 Large.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching