Jinhao 992 Informal Review

truthpil

UPDATE:

Hello all,

These are turning out to be neat little pens. So far, all of mine have been dry writers, but with my limited free time, I've only been able to clean and adjust 5/15 pens I received.

But so far, only 1/5 has any cracks and once you clean and adjust them; they're pretty neat little pens for $1.67 each, (even cheaper now - jewelrymathmatics now has these in demo or opaque colors for $22/15 pens and still offers a "make offer" price on top of that!).

The nibs aren't bad; mine have all been smooth so far. I'd put these nibs in the same league with Platinum Preppy/Plasir nibs... maybe even a little nicer, actually. (Smoother).

I have to post mine, to get a comfortable fit in my hands, but once they're cleaned and adjusted for flow; I'd have no qualms giving these pens away to other's that I want to stay on good terms with. ;)

Cleaning involved disassembling the entire pen and washing everything with soap and water; rinsing and then giving it all 48-72 hours to dry out, (the slowest thing to dry out is the water that gets trapped under the cap's inner seal).

Improving flow usually involved flossing the tines with .002 brass shim stock and then gently splaying the tines over a metal dowel rod and holding in this position for 5-6 Mississippi's.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jinhao 991 arrived this afternoon. The good news is that the 991 has no cracks and a better end plug design. The bad news is it's kind of ugly. Review is in the works...stayed tuned.

no, no ... not again!

I have already bought 21 992s based on your recommendation!

no, no ... not again!

I have already bought 21 992s based on your recommendation!

Don't worry, if you have the 992s you aren't missing anything with the 991. The only advantage to the 991 is that it doesn't seem to have the plug crack problem. If you're not into eyedropper conversion then it won't matter. 😁

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Don't worry, if you have the 992s you aren't missing anything with the 991. The only advantage to the 991 is that it doesn't seem to have the plug crack problem. If you're not into eyedropper conversion then it won't matter.

Hey TruthPil, do you think this new pen can be used as a eyedropper?

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

My sixpack of 992 demonstrators managed to escape from Chicago Sorting Center jail without being noticed and arrived in my mail box this morning. I have opened the box to see how pretty they are, but I have not yet examined them closely.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

My sixpack of 992 demonstrators managed to escape from Chicago Sorting Center jail without being noticed and arrived in my mail box this morning. I have opened the box to see how pretty they are, but I have not yet examined them closely.

What do you mean escape sorting center jail?

I recently ordered a fountain pen from China including the ink cartridges and a couple other fountain pens, now I'm worried I might lose the lot. :(

I recently ordered a fountain pen from China including the ink cartridges and a couple other fountain pens, now I'm worried I might lose the lot. :(

Hi Zubzub,

Don't sweat it. :) You'll get them eventually. I have placed several pen orders from China and some have been received in 2 weeks; others have taken almost 2 months.

I think N.Y.C. Customs processes the stuff quicker than Chicago does... at least that has been experience, but don't worry... you'll get your pens... eventually. :D

- Anthony

I just got my 992 in the mail today. It is wonderful! Ink flows very well and the nib is very smooth. The only thing is, I got the 599 in my same order and that one is even smoother.

Thanks for a great review. I like the lines of the pen and the colour availability.

Yeah, I never thought I'd EVER be able to like a demonstrator, (I only bought these as a curiosity)... they always come across as cheap and "toy-like" to me, but these jewel-tone 992's are actually kind of pleasing to the eye.

- Anthony

Here is what happened with my Jinhao 992. I owned it less than two weeks. It writes well and looks good in solid green. Yesterday, when threading the cap onto the pen the trim ring fell off the cap. At first I thought it fell off but close examination revealed the trim ring broke off. I never over tightened the cap nor posted the cap. I do not think the plastic used in the construction of these pens is of high quality. I got my $1.99 worth from this pen. As of now the pen is residing in the trash can. See the photos.

Don't worry, if you have the 992s you aren't missing anything with the 991. The only advantage to the 991 is that it doesn't seem to have the plug crack problem. If you're not into eyedropper conversion then it won't matter.

Thanks for your reviews. You know I was joking. I am certainly going to buy a few 991s too.

One of my blue 992 demo leaked ink from nib / feed. The ink was either Chesterfield Turquoise or Iroshizuku Ama - Iro. I didn't note but it was either. Will try some other inks.

I regret to say that both pens that I was using as eyedroppers have developed cracks at the plug, :crybaby: Oh well it was nice while it lasted. Their converters have been reinstalled and inked. I purchased a total of 4 pens and have received nothing but a smooth consistent writing experience, Has anybody tried to eyedropper the Lingmo pen? Chrisrap52's "992 revisited" video suggest that the plug is a little harder to remove. If this is the case, I may purchase the Lingmo after all. Once you eyedropper this pens it's hard to go back to the converter. :puddle: Cliff

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

I regret to say that both pens that I was using as eyedroppers have developed cracks at the plug, :crybaby: Oh well it was nice while it lasted. Their converters have been reinstalled and inked. I purchased a total of 4 pens and have received nothing but a smooth consistent writing experience, Has anybody tried to eyedropper the Lingmo pen? Chrisrap52's "992 revisited" video suggest that the plug is a little harder to remove. If this is the case, I may purchase the Lingmo after all. Once you eyedropper this pens it's hard to go back to the converter. :puddle: Cliff

The Lingmos in solid colors don't have a plug, the body is one piece. The demostrators have a plug.

It was a joke. I've ordered two things from China (these pens and a $600 baritone horn), and they both spent some time in the Chicago Sorting Center before making their way to my house. In the case of the pens, apparently the package wasn't scanned when it entered the USPS system. The tracking was showing it as still at the center when it showed up in the mail box -- thus "escaped without being noticed).

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

DaveBj

Last week I carefully examined all six pens under the best magnification that I have and saw no signs of cracking. Following that, I inked the converter of the green one with Daintree Green, and I have written it almost dry. It is a good, smooth, wet writer, and I have only two negative things to say: 1) the F nib isn't as F as I would like; and, 2) at the beginning, it was a little reluctant on initial upstrokes, but either it got used to my hand, or my hand got used to it; it's fine now.

Two days ago I EDed the brown one (Pelikan Brilliant Brown) and the transparent one (Noodler's 54th Mass), and sure 'nuff, the brown one has some seepage around the end plug. I'm going to decant the ink, reinstall the converter, and reink. The clear one shows no signs of a leak; between the two of them, I'll still have enough ink to last thru my upcoming trip.

DaveBj