Jinhao 992 Informal Review

truthpil

I've found them to work really well as eyedroppers as long as I remove the tiny end-plug (on mine, they've just been press-fits although tight ones), add a dab of superglue under the base of the plug then re-insert it.

This might be a good thing to do if you get a pen that does not already have cracks on arrival.

How did you get the plug out??

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it varied a bit from one to another...I slipped a thin blade under the "head" of the plug on at least a couple. Mostly just GENTLY wiggled/twisted them.

I've found a small crack in one, but I was a little more... generous... with the superglue on that one and when it was dry proceeded with the eyedropper. No problems so far ....(and I wear white dress shirts almost every day :) )

I tend to agree with the thoughts that these problems are probably due to the press-fitting process although I suppose the less-opaque polymers may be more brittle as well...?.

I was wondering if posting the pens might be what's causing the cracks. I hardly ever post my pens and I still haven't seen any cracks of any kind. As far as getting the plug out, I very slowly worked the plug out far enough where I could catch it with a pliers. I placed a fairly thick cloth (in my case a micro fiber cloth) over the plug and slowly pull it out. On the first pen I completely removed the plug and put a dab on the plug base and reinstall the plug. This worked fine but I put to much glue on the base. so the second pen I didn't completely remove the plug. I pulled it out far enough where I could fit a toothpick between the plug and the base and applied a very light dab. This method seemed to work much better with hardly any glue entering the barrel.

post-136255-0-90923200-1495248049_thumb.jpg

Aside from this, these pens are still being used as eyedroppers and I'm really enjoying the smoothness of these little gems. I have 2 more coming and will probably do the same thing. I ink you see at the tips mixed with the glue once the pens were inked. What will be will be. Cliff

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

I was wondering if posting the pens might be what's causing the cracks. I hardly ever post my pens and I still haven't seen any cracks of any kind.

You may be right...I realized that I do push the cap on pretty tight when posting with this pen, so that may have encouraged the crack.

You may be right...I realized that I do push the cap on pretty tight when posting with this pen, so that may have encouraged the crack.

So is posting pretty bad on this pen? Like, would it fall off if you poste with normal pressure, then turned the pen upside-down?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

So is posting pretty bad on this pen? Like, would it fall off if you poste with normal pressure, then turned the pen upside-down?

This pen actually posts much better than the X450 and X750.

I think I just subconsciously post Chinese pens with extra pressure because they tend to post poorly in my experience. I think I commented in the OP about how well this pen posts and it is decent, although not as good as more expensive pens. With normal pressure the cap won't fall off if you post and turn the pen upside-down.

However, visvamitra noted in his review that he had trouble with the cap not posting securely but also mentioned the pen is a little too small for him so his larger hand may have played a big role in that.

Well, I've ordered the 'coffee' version. I enjoyed reading this review and the following discussion. The price is trifling to have a fiddle with that plug, and the colour - to my eye, more of a cola colour than coffee - is really quite attractive.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I agree. If I can get confirmation that a JoWo #5 nib will fit in these, then I plan on buying a slew of them and outfitting them with custom grinds from fpnibs.com.

Has anyone tried that new Wing Sung 9133? I'm not sure if the different plug means a smaller likelihood of cracking. Of course, assuming it is a metal plug, it cannot be converted to an eyedropper.

TB2UnAPjYRkpuFjSspmXXc.9XXa_!!2504853472

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

I did a YouTube review of the 992.

It is the best Jinhao I have ever used. Nib is smooth & wet, no tweaking needed.

Well made & under $2.00 USD. In many colors that you'll like.

Wow, Helen, you're doing an amazing job of pen evangelism.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I've been writing with my 992 a lot for the past few days, and just put in an order for a couple more. This really is one of my favorite pens; it's a joy to write with. I can tell that at some point I'm going to get one of those 15-packs and just start giving them out to anyone who expresses even the slightest interest in fountain pens. (Though if I'm going to do that, I should probably get a box of cartridges, too.)

Don't forget that Jinhao make a nice, well-behaved, intense blue in cartridges, darkish, with just a hint of purple.

I bought a whole stack and decanted them into a bottle.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I haven't written with these Jinhaos yet; but I have been seeing them on Ebay for the past twenty years. On the ad, the yellowish Chinese characters reads that this (pen) is for those who prefer a practical lifestyle.
This sums up my experience of using Chinese pens when I grew up in Asia. Mostly, they were the Hero 325s. These were affordable utility pens and school students bought them when the semester began. We didn't expect these pens to write smoothly even when they were new. They were scratchy from the get go but they didn't skip and they didn't leak. We wrote pages and pages of notes and assignments with these. A few weeks into the semester, their nibs would become so scratchy that we often smoothed the tips, or at least aligned them, by rubbing them on the underside of school desks. It was then that these pens can be smoother than when they were new. A problem is that when the tips were worn, they wrote broader lines which used up too much ink, which was impractical. It was cheaper to buy a new pen. Yes, practical. I didn't even know that fountain pens can write smoothly until after I immigrated to the States for high school.

The jellyfish pen does look similar to the 992:

TB2vhAnpHlmpuFjSZFlXXbdQXXa_!!466415159.

TB2zvSVpNBmpuFjSZFDXXXD8pXa_!!466415159.

My experience with modern Chinese pen purchases has shown them to be some of the smoothest writers I've seen, provided the tines are in alignment. Exeption being a Delike ef, but then that's somewhat expected for the size & even then not scratchy, but a touch of feedback.

I've been writing with my 992 a lot for the past few days, and just put in an order for a couple more. This really is one of my favorite pens; it's a joy to write with. I can tell that at some point I'm going to get one of those 15-packs and just start giving them out to anyone who expresses even the slightest interest in fountain pens. (Though if I'm going to do that, I should probably get a box of cartridges, too.)

They won't fit. I've already tried....along with every OTHER converter I own. Perhaps those misbegotten 'Gullor' carts will fit. I'll see if I can dig one up.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

They won't fit. I've already tried....along with every OTHER converter I own. Perhaps those misbegotten 'Gullor' carts will fit. I'll see if I can dig one up.

Oh? You know, for no particular reason, I'd been assuming that Jinhaos took standard international cartridges. I'd never had an opportunity to confirm or deny this assumption, as I don't own anything else that takes standard international cartridges. Well, that's minorly disappointing.

Oh? You know, for no particular reason, I'd been assuming that Jinhaos took standard international cartridges. I'd never had an opportunity to confirm or deny this assumption, as I don't own anything else that takes standard international cartridges. Well, that's minorly disappointing.

They SAY they do...and my Jinhao-rebranded Bulows actually do. But with the Jinhao 599, it's been hit-and-miss. The 599s do seem to take Gullor carts, but these 992s? Nope.

If it's a nipple issue SK, are IS carts too loose or too tight to fit?

I'd have to check again but I think, too tight.