• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't noticed any cracks but then again I don't have a loupe, so I can't really tell... but it is a lovely writer, I use it the most :)

Ok, so everyone who has a loupe and just got one of these pens....let's all look at the plug in the barrel with a loupe and see if there are any hairline cracks...ready...set...go! :lol:

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

The pen is so good and cheap that my first reaction to all this news was that I didn't get enough spares. (I bought 20, kept 3)

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Had a look at mine just now and low-and-behold, a pretty healthy crack! If I hadn't have looked, I doubt I would have noticed.

http://i.imgur.com/sFyU8Pqh.jpg

I can't say I'm particularly bothered. It's still a nicely modern pen that feels great in the hand and writes comfortably.

Is it possible the cracks occur from trying to turn this into an eyedropper?

Not even a little. Like TP said, it's from press fitting the plug in the barrel. I don't ed my pens & I haven't even inked my 992. I don't think it would have just cracked in anticipation of my possibly using it as an ed.

Anyone with awesome Chinese skills want to try contacting Jinhao directly to inform them of the manufacturing error?

If not, I may try to use my kindergarten level Chinese to email them and see what happens. I like these little pens too much to let this slide.

I don't see any cracks on mine, but I just had it for about a week, so we'll see. An opaque black version.

This cracking problem would be unfortunate. I just ordered a clear one intending to eyedropper it.

Oh well, it was $2...

Edited by WJM

This does make me wonder how the back end of a Procolor looks under magnification.

Don't need magnification to see the cracks in my 992 - one of them is 10mm long and I can feel it with my finger.

Perhaps I'm getting a little paranoid, but are these cracks developing in the cap as well?

fpn_1495192084__jinhao92201.jpg

Not even a little. Like TP said, it's from press fitting the plug in the barrel. I don't ed my pens & I haven't even inked my 992. I don't think it would have just cracked in anticipation of my possibly using it as an ed.

I wouldn't rule it out. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I informed my seller about this problem. he kindly asked if I accept free pens, on next shopping from him. I refused of course, it wasn't his bad, it's just about factory problem. Opaque ones have no problems, but demonstrator ones just trash.

It's all Greek to me...

I informed my seller about this problem. he kindly asked if I accept free pens, on next shopping from him. I refused of course, it wasn't his bad, it's just about factory problem. Opaque ones have no problems, but demonstrator ones just trash.

I thought the same thing about the demonstrators being the problem, but after close examination of my opaque blue pen I saw some tiny cracks around the plug. They aren't nearly as bad as the cracks I'm seeing from the demonstrators on here, but they are visible without magnification and I can tell just now that they are getting longer. :gaah:

If I can get the camera to focus right, I'll post a pick.

I recognize that this may not be entirely appropriate in this thread, but when I got the 992, I also picked up a 绘境 026 (can't find an English name other than "Jellyfish series pen"). It's virtually identical in size to the 992 and writes a dream. No cracks that I can see, perhaps because the end and cap plugs are metal rather than plastic. I don't like the looks quite as much as the 992 but it's growing on me. :)

My 6-pack fountain pen arrived yesterday, ordered 2 weeks ago. They are all demonstrators and no crack on quick look. Each cost < 2 dollars.

The tread has gotten so long so the OP started it.

I wonder would it fit a standard #5 nib?

Good day.

I recognize that this may not be entirely appropriate in this thread, but when I got the 992, I also picked up a 绘境 026 (can't find an English name other than "Jellyfish series pen"). It's virtually identical in size to the 992 and writes a dream. No cracks that I can see, perhaps because the end and cap plugs are metal rather than plastic. I don't like the looks quite as much as the 992 but it's growing on me. :)

The jellyfish pen does look similar to the 992:

TB2vhAnpHlmpuFjSZFlXXbdQXXa_!!466415159.

TB2zvSVpNBmpuFjSZFDXXXD8pXa_!!466415159.

Anyone with awesome Chinese skills want to try contacting Jinhao directly to inform them of the manufacturing error?

If not, I may try to use my kindergarten level Chinese to email them and see what happens. I like these little pens too much to let this slide.

Google translate works pretty well. But the important thing I figure is getting the message in front of the right person. It might be hit or miss whether things get past customer service and to the manufacturing side.

Is that barrel plug fused in, or just a press fit? I wouldn't mind ordering one and then filing the plug to exert less pressure on the barrel wall.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Well. Now I see a crack in my coffee demonstrator, but none on the blue one. There was never even a threat to turn these into eyedroppers, so I wonder if posting the cap (not a great fit anyway) could contribute.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.