Jinhao 992 Informal Review

truthpil

Jealous of all whose pens have arrived. :P My two are still lost in the void between China & my mailbox for a bit yet. Not that I need more inked pens around here. Gives me more time to figure out what to fill them with anyway.

Same here! I might have to wait another month.. hope it arrives soon :unsure:

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to rain on anyone's parade. (Completely)

I bought two. One is just fine. The second, the coffee demonstrator, broke. I slipped it into a pocket in my bag. the top of the pocked has a large seam and when I pulled the pen out the top broke off. It wasn't at the seam where the clip sits, but about a 1/4 inch below that. I super glued it back and so far it's holding together just fine.

I think there may be some of the plastic used that isn't as strong as others. But at less than $2.00 it is a good value, even with the super glue.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Anyone know if this pen takes a standard international cartridge converter? Thinking of getting this pen and swapping out the converter for one from Goulet.

It appears to be standard. You might not need to swap. The converter in these seem to be batter than the previous ones I've had in Jinhao pens

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Not to rain on anyone's parade. (Completely)

I bought two. One is just fine. The second, the coffee demonstrator, broke. I slipped it into a pocket in my bag. the top of the pocked has a large seam and when I pulled the pen out the top broke off. It wasn't at the seam where the clip sits, but about a 1/4 inch below that. I super glued it back and so far it's holding together just fine.

I think there may be some of the plastic used that isn't as strong as others. But at less than $2.00 it is a good value, even with the super glue.

Thanks for the report about cracking! I wonder if the clear models are made from different material than the opaque ones, because my cobalt blue version is super solid construction and I think it would be quite hard to break (leagues stronger than a Preppy).

Anyone know if this pen takes a standard international cartridge converter? Thinking of getting this pen and swapping out the converter for one from Goulet.

I just tried to put a Schmidt standard international converter in the 992 and it won't fit. It is too loose and also too long so you can't even screw the barrel back on. The pen seems to be designed for the Jinhao converter's wider mouth.

However, short standard international cartridges are a perfect fit.

As Ted A noted, you don't really need to use an international converter because the new Jinhao converters are quite excellent.They seal well and hold a decent amount of ink.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Here's the 992 with a quick test (forgive any threadjacking!) using Noodler's 41 Brown and absolutely no flushing of the pen. And as you can see, I also forgot the model number of this pen. It's not written anywhere that I noticed.

On this paper, with this ink, it writes a wet medium-fine line that was almost too thick for sketching. By contrast, the Delikes I also just got, a couple of Chinese homages to the Sailor Sapporo, write a needle-fine line.http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/5314/9372/5269/Brown_Jinhao-640p.jpg

I like these! Maybe I should have gotten more. :)

That is a great looking combination!!

Is your 41 Brown usually pretty wet? Glad the pen works well.

I've never heard of Delikes pens, where did you find them?

I wouldn't mind getting a cheap but decent needle point.

3 of them came yesterday, and and I hope I'll get other 2 in 10 days. I tried 3mm converters on my opaque ones, but didn't fit, so I filled them with their converter, and it's much better than old ones. Also I turned transparent one into eyedropper, and had no fail. I changed original nib with a good German brand, and now pen is turned something reliable for me.

In summary, I'm in love with those pen now. I didn't like those 599s(I hate it their original one too), but this has good shape, good flow, and for the price a real workhorse. :)

It's all Greek to me...

The Delike pens can be found in Taobao ("新月 钢笔") or eBay ("Delike New Moon"). They also have a Kaweco BrassSport lookalike ("包邮 阿尔法 钢笔") with the same nib and feed.

3 of them came yesterday, and and I hope I'll get other 2 in 10 days. I tried 3mm converters on my opaque ones, but didn't fit, so I filled them with their converter, and it's much better than old ones. Also I turned transparent one into eyedropper, and had no fail. I changed original nib with a good German brand, and now pen is turned something reliable for me.

In summary, I'm in love with those pen now. I didn't like those 599s(I hate it their original one too), but this has good shape, good flow, and for the price a real workhorse. :)

Was the original nib unreliable for you?

Edited by antichresis

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

The Delike pens can be found in Taobao ("新月 钢笔") or eBay ("Delike New Moon").

Was the original nib unreliable for you?

no, not at all. I changed the nib, because I really liked pen's look, and wanted to carry everyday, and that nib was sitting,since I broke the German pen... I use other 2 with their original nib. 992's nibs way better than old Jinhao nibs.

It's all Greek to me...

no, not at all. I changed the nib, because I really liked pen's look, and wanted to carry everyday, and that nib was sitting,since I broke the German pen... I use other 2 with their original nib. 992's nibs way better than old Jinhao nibs.

Thanks, that's highly encouraging!

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

The Delike pens can be found in Taobao ("新月 钢笔") or eBay ("Delike New Moon"). They also have a Kaweco BrassSport lookalike ("包邮 阿尔法 钢笔") with the same nib and feed.

Thanks for the Chinese! On Taobao they don't come up under either the English or Chinese name (得力克), so I was stumped.

If their extra fine nibs are smooth, then one of these may be my next pen for Chinese writing. However, from the close ups pics of the nib, the tip seems to look the same as the Jinhao 911 and I'm assuming it would write similarly.

Thanks! Here's one Delike source, I think:

I got the blue color...

And the pink, in one set, with two carrying cases! They are very smooth, fairly wet writers, but there's a slight catch. Only their own, included (clear green and somewhat wobbly) converters fit the pen.

No other cart or con that I had would fit, from Cross to Hero and many in between. But I like them, and keep refilling the blue one.

Try a fleabay search for Delike New Moon. I've toyed with the idea of getting a third color. If I can find the name of the seller I got mine from I'll post it later.

PS: Odd seller name: 06595-pyf73dnd

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I got a light blue from best999's shop. That is an odd converter. Not sure if a Pelikan is slim enough to fit. Might try it later if I can dig mine out. It is another well done notSailor though. Nice ef, if a hair thicker than my ef Parker 51. Considered picking up one of the curved nib 2 packs for it, just to mess around with.

used this one for 2-3 hours. now I'm really a fan of this pen.

post-129732-0-03969800-1493830295_thumb.jpg

It's all Greek to me...

Mine arrived yesterday and I cleaned and loaded one of the clear ones with Diamine Violet and it writes really well. As MadTheNeko says these nibs are better than earlier Jinhao nibs, although this is a fine nib (I prefer medium) I'm finding a good one to write with.

I ordered a bundle of six to play around with but I'm not keen on the orange and coffee so might give those away; all in all a nice inexpensive pen I'd be happy to recommend.

Al

used this one for 2-3 hours. now I'm really a fan of this pen.

Thanks for showing the eyedropper conversion, it looks like it will hold a ton of ink.

That also looks like a really wet line, what ink were you using?

I think I'll be daring today and try some ESSRI in this pen to see how it works with dry iron gall inks.

Thanks for showing the eyedropper conversion, it looks like it will hold a ton of ink.

That also looks like a really wet line, what ink were you using?

I think I'll be daring today and try some ESSRI in this pen to see how it works with dry iron gall inks.

I bought that ink with 30 cartridge sets from aliexpress. But since they are 3 mm and most of my pens 2.6mm, I opened them and used syringe to pull, then putted in the pen. :) It takes 2.75ml of ink. Also since the nib on it B, it gives good wet lines.

It's all Greek to me...

Here is what ESSRI looks like with the Jinhao 992. The top pic is with the stock nib and the bottom with a Noodler's Nib Creaper nib.

The stock nib and feed aren't quite the "firehose" needed to get the full effect from this very dry ink, but the writing experience was ok. It took using the flex nib to get the full character of the ink.

The flexible Noodler's nib worked in the pen, but the Jinhao feed just can't keep up with the ink flow needed for flex writing. If I didn't write extremely slow, then the nib would run dry every couple words and I'd have to flick the pen or crank the converter to restore flow. If you're feeling adventurous, then I guess you could hack the feed to resolve the flow problem. I did notice that the Noodler's nib seems to flex a little easier in this pen than in the original Noodler's pen.

fpn_1493938577__jinhao_992_essri.jpg

My next experiment will be trying a TWSBI ECO 1.1 stub nib in this pen, but that will require a wetter ink... stay tuned...

Edited by TruthPil

I got the 3 992s that I ordered. 1 solid green, 2 demonstrators coffee and orange- all 3 wrote perfectly out of the bag. I am thinking of a 16 pack for giveaways because my students love the demonstrator. I have them all inked with Quink green - makes it easy to know who to ask for the return of my pens. :D I'm using the solid green to grade papers today.