• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here you go!

Pens from right to left are:

Jinhao X750 - X450 - 911 "Thyer" - 165 - 992 - Pilot Prera - Platinum Preppy - Lamy Safari

Capped

Uncapped

Posted

[Despite what it looks like due to camera angle, they were all lined up evenly at the bottom.]

Thanks a ton! Please don't post any more reviews or photos ... I am now not only going to buy the 992 but some others in your photo! :)

Thanks a ton! Please don't post any more reviews or photos ... I am now not only going to buy the 992 but some others in your photo! :)

Haha this forum is dangerous, isn't it?

Before you buy a bunch, feel free to ask me any questions you have about them, a PM would be fine.

I know they are all cheap, but I really hate buying any pen that I end up throwing in the back of a drawer (as has often happened with Chinese pens).

Among the Jinhaos above, my favorite is the 992 for its size and feel and my second favorite is the X750, but that's mostly because it has an incredibly smooth and wet Goulet/JoWo 1.1 stub nib in it. You can't post the X750 or X450, but the X750 is long enough that it feels quite comfortable without posting.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Thanks for writing this up! I found these on eBay and I was surprised–something completely new for Jinhao. Needless to say, I've ordered a few of the demonstrators.

Stay unposted, friends.

Looks really nice -- thanks so much for the review. Sadly, it doesn't look like these come in anything but a fine nib, and I was really hoping for at least a medium -- I was looking at these with an eye towards using them for "troublesome" inks, and most of the ones I have in mind would be more enjoyable with a broader nib. Well, in fairness, I pretty much always prefer something broader than a fine.

Still, though, $2...

Looks really nice -- thanks so much for the review. Sadly, it doesn't look like these come in anything but a fine nib, and I was really hoping for at least a medium -- I was looking at these with an eye towards using them for "troublesome" inks, and most of the ones I have in mind would be more enjoyable with a broader nib. Well, in fairness, I pretty much always prefer something broader than a fine.

Still, though, $2...

If it's worth the hassle, the 992's nib is easily swappable, so you might be able to get a #5 medium nib for under $10 and put it in this pen. Altogether it would still be a pretty good deal.

It does put you in the humorous position of having a nib worth more than the entire pen, but if it makes the whole work better for you, no reason not to resort to a llittle diy nib swapping.

please answer about the eyedropper use for jinhao 992, is it possible?

The barrel is made of 2 parts, the body and a small plug at the end. The seal on the plug seems to be good enough to allow for eyedropper conversion.

I filled the barrel with water, put the pen back together, and flicked the pen a lot in many directions. There is no leaking at all. It's been sitting on the desk for several minutes afterward and still no leaking. Flow to the nib is excellent as well.

The fact that there is a rubber o-ring unnecessarily on the section suggests to me that either the manufacturer or seller I bought it from thinks it can be used as an eyedropper.

I haven't tried it with ink because I don't like eyedroppers, but I think this water test shows that it's possible.

Haha this forum is dangerous, isn't it?

yes. colleagues and family think ... something is not right about me ... but alas they don't understand the joy of writing with a fountain pen! I do buy lot of cheap pens and in multiples (back up of back up of back up ... just in case :) ) someday I will put them up for sale or pay it forward on this forum. Meanwhile, I just put an order for 6 of these - one in each color. The two that I am thinking to buy from your photo ... sending you a PM on questions and your opinion.

Thanks for again for all the details on this pen / review.

Edited by suharsh

If it's worth the hassle, the 992's nib is easily swappable, so you might be able to get a #5 medium nib for under $10 and put it in this pen. Altogether it would still be a pretty good deal.

Also, it's mentioned in a couple of comments (and the writing samples bear it out) that it's more of a Western fine, so it's not that thin.

But, I went for it. For $2, there's simply not going to be that much scope for regret, even if I don't like it at all. And, honestly, it looks like it's going to be a great way to fiddle with inks I might be skittish about putting in my more expensive pens.

Also, it's mentioned in a couple of comments (and the writing samples bear it out) that it's more of a Western fine, so it's not that thin.

But, I went for it. For $2, there's simply not going to be that much scope for regret, even if I don't like it at all. And, honestly, it looks like it's going to be a great way to fiddle with inks I might be skittish about putting in my more expensive pens.

It writes a little on the wet side too, so if you put a wet ink in it then it will definitely write a medium line.

My blue one is now my official problematic Noodler's bulletproof blue inks pen. Bad Blue Heron, Luxury Blue, and the like are perfect for this pen.

Hi TruthPil,

If we ever meet face to face someplace; please be kind enough to remind me to give you a kick in the pants. :rolleyes:

Your splendid efforts here convinced me to buy the complete set of 12... I'm an impulsive creature with a very healthy exuberance to try new things... and I like what I've seen and read here. :)

And if they're too small for my hands, I'll just PIF 'em. (But I think if I post them; I'll be okay... I just wish the section had the same diameter the X-750 does).

- Anthony

After spending a little more time looking at this pen I've completely fallen in love with the way it looks. I think it fills a spot previously left empty in our little world.

Stay unposted, friends.

Hi TruthPil,

If we ever meet face to face someplace; please be kind enough to remind me to give you a kick in the pants. :rolleyes:

Your splendid efforts here convinced me to buy the complete set of 12... I'm an impulsive creature with a very healthy exuberance to try new things... and I like what I've seen and read here. :)

And if they're too small for my hands, I'll just PIF 'em. (But I think if I post them; I'll be okay... I just wish the section had the same diameter the X-750 does).

- Anthony

Review 'em first! ;)

I wonder how long it will take mine to arrive.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Review 'em first! ;)

I wonder how long it will take mine to arrive.

Quite right, Sailor. :lol:

Yeah, me too... I'm expecting a month but I'm hoping for 2.5 weeks. :)

We're facing a lot of variables: It depends on the rising tensions between governments; what kind of mood the customs agents are in; whether their shipped by air or by ship... and if the latter, where we are in the queue... those container ships don't sail until their loaded..., etc. :unsure:

I'm cautiously optimistic for a window of about 2 weeks. :)

- Anthony

We're facing a lot of variables: It depends on the rising tensions between governments; what kind of mood the customs agents are in; whether their shipped by air or by ship... and if the latter, where we are in the queue... those container ships don't sail until their loaded..., etc. :unsure:

- Anthony

haha nice comment. I ordered 3 (dark green, black, and transparent one), and hope they come before 1 month. In first they looked like 78g of Pilot, and I was thinking to order a plastic pen for my 3-4 hours writing sessions. Then just saw this topic and....

It's all Greek to me...

- Anthony

These will probably fall into the Carryaround or Tricky Ink Pen category. And when I've ordered pens from China, the actual time has been two weeks to a couple of months. I don't want to wait 60 days! ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

These will probably fall into the Carryaround or Tricky Ink Pen category. And when I've ordered pens from China, the actual time has been two weeks to a couple of months. I don't want to wait 60 days! ;)

Hi Sailor,

Yeah, I know about those "two months" deals... those are typically on the "slow boats FROM China" :rolleyes: I didn't want to sound that pessimistic; fearing it might cause panic in the aisles.

Yes. These will be great knock-about and tricky ink pens. If they write as well TruthPil's review states and the samples appear; I may take a few to work, to use when I have to leave the office and go on location... or to give (outright) to people when they ask to use my pen... typically, when someone asks to borrow my L2K, I have to fake a fainting spell... and people are beginning to talk.

I've already decided the opaque blue one is going to be an ED conversion dedicated to BSB. :o

- Anthony