Jinhao 992 Informal Review

truthpil

Thank you for this review! Ordered the 'Transparent Coffee' color after seeing your review, for my Diamine Ancient Copper ink that's yet to come xD Hope I like it as much as you do!

I'm glad the review was useful! That's a great idea...I've been throwing around the idea of getting some Ancient Copper for a while and a matching pen like this may just be what pushes me that direction. ;) Please scribble a few lines and take a picture of the pairing if you get a chance. :D I'm curious to see how the 992 will handle Ancient Copper's nib crud issue.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Sailor Kenshin

• bob_hayden

• suharsh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ordered one a few days ago on a whim (and also based on my positive experience with the 698). Your review just confirms I did the right thing. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the review. In the Cons section, you mentioned that it may be small (length wise) ... how about thickness ... is it as thick as the x450 or 750? I hope not.

Thanks for the review. In the Cons section, you mentioned that it may be small (length wise) ... how about thickness ... is it as thick as the x450 or 750? I hope not.

One of the reasons I bought this pen is because it's smaller than the 450 and 750. The 992 isn't slim, but it's definitely thinner than the other two. I have medium-small hands and it is perfect. I'll try to add some comparison pics when I get a chance.

I ordered one a few days ago on a whim (and also based on my positive experience with the 698). Your review just confirms I did the right thing. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy the pen! It seems that the days of having to spend $10+ for an awesome and durable writer are over.

Thanks to this and another Facebook posts, I ordered three of the clear ones from jewelrymathematics on ebay. I wanted to order the full set but didn't want to chance running into problems with local customs office. Thanks for the review!

Edited by tintinp

Thank you for your useful review, the pen looks very nice in my opinion, especially the transparent-amber version.

I'm glad the review was useful! That's a great idea...I've been throwing around the idea of getting some Ancient Copper for a while and a matching pen like this may just be what pushes me that direction. ;) Please scribble a few lines and take a picture of the pairing if you get a chance. :D I'm curious to see how the 992 will handle Ancient Copper's nib crud issue.

I've read quite a lot about the nib crud issue of ancient copper, I guess I'll have to wait and check for myself! :D I'll send you the picture as soon as I receive them, which...will probably take awhile 😆 Edited by Miaxina

@Quick brown fix.

The lazy dog is an Airedale, who awakes and mauls the fox into a pile brown gooooo.

Many thank for this review. Seem like the 992 is a clear version of the Jinhao x450, which I like. I am going to add one (or more) to my inventory.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Is this a copy ( or inspired by) another demonstrator in the same way the 599a is related to the lamy?

I'm definitely intrigued by the aesthetics and the price point.

Edited by DavidtheGnome

@Quick brown fix.

The lazy dog is an Airedale, who awakes and mauls the fox into a pile brown gooooo.

Many thank for this review. Seem like the 992 is a clear version of the Jinhao x450, which I like. I am going to add one (or more) to my inventory.

The nib sizes are different though, the x450 uses a #6 nib.

I wonder if this pen will take #5 Jowo and Franklin Christoph nibs?

Edited by tintinp

@Quick brown fix.

The 992 is thinner and smaller than the 450 in every way, but not much smaller. Since it is resin instead of all metal, it is also much lighter than the 450.

Is this a copy ( or inspired by) another demonstrator in the same way the 599a is related to the lamy?

I'm definitely intrigued by the aesthetics and the price point.

The 992 is "inspired by" the Sailor Procolor and looks almost exactly the same, even down to the funny bump at the end of the barrel.

The nib sizes are different though, the x450 uses a #6 nib.

I wonder if this pen will take #5 Jowo and Franklin Christoph nibs?

I don't yet have a #5 to check, but the original nib has a width of 5mm at the base and comes out very easily. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to swap nibs, as I was able to put a Noodler's Nib Creaper nib in the 992 without any problems.

(Sorry for all the posts, my phone won't let me multiquote.)

One of the reasons I bought this pen is because it's smaller than the 450 and 750. The 992 isn't slim, but it's definitely thinner than the other two. I have medium-small hands and it is perfect. I'll try to add some comparison pics when I get a chance.

Thanks. Looking forward to the pics.

The 992 is "inspired by" the Sailor Procolor and looks almost exactly the same, even down to the funny bump at the end of the barrel.

Yep. Essentially a Procolor with a Montblanc style clip instead of the Sailor style.

Shame I wasn't aware of these when I picked up my Lorelei or I would have tossed one into the cart, considering the price. Have an grey one on the way now.

Ordered a couple of 992's ; blue and coffee demonstrator along with few 599 hooded nib variants from aliexpress. Hope they are worth it. At least by looks they are pleasing.

Thanks. Looking forward to the pics.

Here you go!

Pens from right to left are:

Jinhao X750 - X450 - 911 "Thyer" - 165 - 992 - Pilot Prera - Platinum Preppy - Lamy Safari

Capped

fpn_1492610535__jinhao_comparison_1_comp

fpn_1492610656__jinhao_comparison_2_comp

Uncapped

fpn_1492610678__jinhao_comparison_3_comp

Posted

fpn_1492610709__jinhao_comparison_4_comp

[Despite what it looks like due to camera angle, they were all lined up evenly at the bottom.]