Lamy Petrol 2017 Le Ink

visvamitra

Lamy doesn't need introduction on this board. However as I enjoy writing introductions, here we go. Lamy was created by Josef Lamy who was a German export and branch manager for Parker until 1930, when Parker left the German market due to unsuccessful sales of its Duofold.

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/9376/WLiktK.jpg

www.lamy.com

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/9505/e0y9bn.jpg

www.lamy.com

Lamy started his own company by acquiring the pen manufacturer Orthos Füllfederhalter-Fabrik producing celluloid pens. For quite few years they were selling conservative looking pens stylised after Pelinan and Montblanc pens.

However in 1966 they invited industrial designer Gerd A. Müller to create their new flagship product - Lamy 2000, a classic Bauhaus-inspired design that has remained in production ever since 1966 with no significant change. This pen set the tone for all Lamys to come: forward-looking, innovative design, excellent quality and writing performance. Lamy 2000 is one of my all - time favourite pens. With time I even came to like Lamy Al-Star that looked like an ugly duckling for me when I first saw it.

Basically I love their pens. However I wasn't so fond of their inks. They're not bad, they're sold in practical and functional bottle yet the colors really aren't mesmerizing. ANyway the inks are sold in bottle that provides a roll of blotter tape used to clean the pen after filling, or to blot writing. It is specially shaped with a wide neck and a basin to collect ink to aid filling when close to empty.

http://imageshack.com/a/img901/2272/o3GrpD.jpg

http://miestilografi...t=lamy-tinteros

They can also be purchased in cartridges.

It seems that lately Lamy came to conclusion they can make money on special edition inks that are introduced together with limited edition Al-Stars and Safaris. That's good, especially that new colors (Copper Orange and Neon Lime) stand out from their rather conservative and - let's face it - boring ink line-up.

Then, last year, they've made something magical. Lamy Dark Lilac was and is a real stunner. It's one my all time favorite inks. This year's expectation were high. Is Lamy Petrol equally interesting?

Let's find out.

fpn_1491990220__petrol_carts.jpg

I got only a pack of cartridges not because I didn't want a bottle. It seems Lamy didn't manage to produce enouigh bottles to fulfill global demand. Again. From what I know they promised polish wholesalers the inks in bottles would come but they haven't. In theory the bottles should arrive in may. Time will tell. My reflexion is as follows:

Lamy should think more about their customers in Europe and allow them to get bottles at least from few online retailers. The way things are at the moment they probably have willingness to satisfy their customers but as usualluy when it comes to prioritize them Europe is last to think about. It's disappointing. I love the brand but I have impression they just don't care.

fpn_1491991327__petrol_lamy_is.jpg

Petrol is new addition to Lamy LE inks line. As it's LE ink you need to decide fast whether you like it or not because once it's gone, it's gone. It's as simple as that.

Petrol can be described in a general way as a member of teals family. It's not my usual color range but I don't loathe these hues. Sometimes I use Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris and I enjoy this ink. Not on every day basis, mind you, but once in a month I tend to write with it.

This color is saturated and quite deep, the ink flows nicely but not as well as Dark Lilac. I feel Dark Lilac lubricates the nib more and is, basically, superior ink. On the other hand it's among my three top inks ever made so I'm biased.

It's wet ink, probably not as wet as KWZI Northern Twilight but if you like free-flowing inks, it shouldn't disappoint you. I should try it in a very dry pen but I don't have one at the moment. Level of saturation is satisfying but not crazily intense or overhelming. There's some shading - I guess that in a right pen it can be uite intense. I haven't observed any feathering even on Moleskine (a synonyme of crappy paper). Some bleedthrough was experienced only on Moleskine (crappy paper).

Drying time is reasonable (15-20 secs on Rhodia and alikes).

Some people may have issue with lack of full water resistance but for me water resistance isn't most important thing when it comes to choosing inks. Whether it fades or not, I'll know in half a year.

PS: I really would love to see LE Al-Star / Safari pen + ink in following colors: khaki, navy blue, annatto, green tea, marsala (yes, it's passe now, but who cares?), lentil sprout, ina-ho alike. So if any of you guys have influential friends in Lamy, or better is a child or wife/husband/lover of Lamy management please influence them :)

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1491991346__petrol_lamy_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1491991369__petrol_lamy_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1491991909__petrol_lamy_l_4.jpg

Maruman, Lamy Safari, medium nib

fpn_1491991419__petrol_lamy_m_1.jpg

fpn_1491991442__petrol_lamy_m_2.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Lamy Safari, medium nib

fpn_1491991470__petrol_lamy_l_1.jpg

fpn_1491991494__petrol_lamy_l_2.jpg

fpn_1491991517__petrol_lamy_l_5.jpg

Moleskine, Lamy Al-Star, medium nib

fpn_1491991545__petrol_lamy_moleskine_1.

fpn_1491991573__petrol_lamy_moleskine_2.

fpn_1491991617__petrol_lamy_moleskine_3.

Bleedthrough on Moleskine

fpn_1491991658__petrol_lamy_moleskine_bl

fpn_1491991681__petrol_lamy_moleskine_bl

Oxford, Hero 9028, stub 1,5

fpn_1491991746__petrol_lamy_ox.jpg

fpn_1491991724__petrol_lamy_ox_2.jpg

Copy paper, Hero 9028, stub 1,5

fpn_1491992151__petrol_lamy_copypaper_1.

fpn_1491992173__petrol_lamy_copypaper_2.

Water Resistance

fpn_1491991774__petrol_lamy_h2o.jpg

Comparison

As seen on the scan it's definitely greener than Verdigris or Northern Twilight. I don't have other inks in this hue range at the moment so I won't be able to compare other teals to it.

fpn_1491991802__petrol_lamy_comp.jpg

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• visvamitra

• lapis

• Aquaria

Great review again. I think it's an interesting ink and shows some water resistance. Might grab another bottle.

Excellent review. Especially your utilization of various instruments on various papers. Not sure whether or not I like it because of its "teaniness" but it is bluer than most teals I know. Also, I can only underline and capitalize all of your wordings about Lamy's conventions here at home. Jeez, if they don't want to import somewhere in the world, I can live with that but they should still offer their own stuff to their own people!!!!!!!!!!!

I.e., their LE inks in bottles are not sold in Germany.

Man!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Fabulous review. I've been undecided about whether to get this ink or not, since I already have the KWZ Northern Twilight.

Apparently only cartridges so far for America too, which are all sold out, with a limited number of bottles in May. I guess they take the word limited seriously.

Har, har, thanks. That's a good one. I.e., there are LE inks and LL inks.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for the thorough review! (As always...) I already have a couple of inks around this shade, so probably won't buy in - but this is well within the spectrum of colours I enjoy writing with!

Lovely review, as always. I noticed on Goulet Pens site, their examples appear to be displaying a significant red sheen. There seems to be some on your pic of the ink blot as well.

How does this compare to L'Artisan Pastellier Bleu Equinox 6, I wonder?

Edited by motruba

Good question. I don't have Bleu Equinoxe 6 any more but let's compare Leuchtturm color range samples (they were made with different pens) so that doesn't count. Unless I have somewhere RHodia with Blue Equinoxe samples. I'll check it.

Bleu Equinoxe 6

fpn_1477513580__bleuequinoxe6_l_5.jpg

Petrol

fpn_1491991517__petrol_lamy_l_5.jpg

Verdigris

fpn_1461438195__verdigris_leuchtturm_5.j

Yama-dori

fpn_1480839510__yamadori_l_5.jpg

I like it a lot, but it looks very similar to Diamine Schubert. I wonder if it's different enough to justify a purchase...

Okay, it's not as horrible a color as I was expecting (not being a fan of teal-leaning greens). But it's not giving me the whiplash head turn double-take of "Wow, that's much better than I was expecting!" either.

So this one I can probably give a pass to. Just as I'm likely going to end up taking a pass on the Petrol Safari pen.

So thanks for the review. One less ink to go on the short list. ;)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks visvamitra-that showcases the differences nicely. The sample of Yama-dori is showing the red sheen (well known I believe) as I saw on Goulet's sample of Petrol.

Mike

Thanks for the excellent review. Guess I should sign up for some in-stock notifications, and cross my fingers.

Excellent review. Especially your utilization of various instruments on various papers. Not sure whether or not I like it because of its "teaniness" but it is bluer than most teals I know. Also, I can only underline and capitalize all of your wordings about Lamy's conventions here at home. Jeez, if they don't want to import somewhere in the world, I can live with that but they should still offer their own stuff to their own people!!!!!!!!!!!

I.e., their LE inks in bottles are not sold in Germany.

Man!

Germany Special Offer: NoInk edition.