Blackstone Australian Bush - A (P)Review

Jamerelbe

Just realised I'd posted this in the 'Th-INKing Outside the Bottle' forum instead of the Ink Review forum (original review https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/321154-blackstone-australian-bush/) - so am putting it up here as well. This ink looks set to be available on the market soon - so here's a preview!

==========================

A couple of weeks ago I received some ink samples from Kevin at JustWrite Pen Co, from a new line of inks he was developing - with a request for feedback on what I thought. At the time, Kevin asked me to hold off on publishing any reviews - but as of 1 April, the word is out: the Blackstone 'Scents of Australia' line will soon be available for purchase (see the announcement at http://www.fountainp...e-scented-inks/).

Kevin has given me permission to publish a review (an advance preview?) of one of the inks I received - Blackstone Australian Bush. Though the ink sample was provided free, the review is my own initiative - and I hope a fairly impartial one, although it's hard to be impartial about inks I really enjoy using!

I may be able to publish a second in the near future - though I understand the scent of the second ink (Brown Boronia) has been changed from the prototype formulation I received. Both inks perform really well, and to my eyes, both are really attractive colours (and shades) that don't quite match anything I have in my collection.

Without further ado, here's the review sheet - which will be followed by some additional shots on other papers:

http://i.imgur.com/tMRtpkX.jpg

The ink really is what it says on the box: a kind of 'gum tree green'. A dark, intense, green-with-a-hint-of yellow kind of eucalypt / gum tree green, that comes out significantly darker in broader nibs and lighter in F/EF nibs.

Here's an 'action shot' of the water test - which shows significant amounts of ink lifting from the page:

http://i.imgur.com/sDFpu0s.jpg

Here's a series of comparisons with my other green inks, on Rhodia paper - I initially thought it was a reasonable match for Rohrer und Klingner Alt-Goldgrun, but it's quite a bit darker, and leans a lot greener (though that khaki / yellow tinge is still there):

http://i.imgur.com/s3iiR56.jpg

Finally, here's a "day after" shot of Australian Bush on creamy Tomoe River paper - I tried to lay the ink on fairly thick with a 1.5mm stub nib. No sheening, as such, but the 'pooled' areas are almost green-black:

http://i.imgur.com/szI2SYF.jpg

Needless to say, I really really like this ink - it's a unique (in my collection) shade of green, and the eucalyptus scent is an added bonus. The moment I uncap a pen containing this ink, the refreshing aroma catches my nose - even though I don't have a particularly good sense of smell.

I'm looking forward to buying a bottle of this ink, as soon as it becomes available - in the meantime, I'm grateful for the sample provided, which will hopefully tide me over. Thanks to Kevin and JustWrite Pens for sending this to me!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• HalloweenHJB

• Cyber6

• lgsoltek

Is this Deja VU??.. I remember seeing this review already a few days ago... :huh: :huh:

In any case... AWESOME review. of a FANTASTIC INK!!!!... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Kevin knows how to make lovely free flowing, superb shading and usually fantastic sheening ink... :puddle: :puddle:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Actually, I moved your preview to Thinking outside the bottle because you indicated that this was a test ink. Is this one ready to roll out the door?

And yes, this is wonderful. Thank you for the great review and the comparison.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Actually, I moved your preview to Thinking outside the bottle because you indicated that this was a test ink. Is this one ready to roll out the door?

And yes, this is wonderful. Thank you for the great review and the comparison.

Yes, As per Kevin's post in "The Mall"..

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/321002-new-blackstone-scented-inks/

post-18968-0-52266100-1491054144.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

OOOO more wonderful inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

So, this is from their scented inks line? What does it smell like?

The ink looks pretty dark, but is a green in the range I like (leaning slightly yellowish without really screaming "yellow green"). So this is a maybe for me (depending on the scent).

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sorry Amberlea, I checked and couldn't see that the review had been moved - so I assumed that I must have accidentally posted it in the wrong forum. It's due for release soon (in May), so is *probably* appropriate for posting in both forums? Sorry for doubling up - I honestly though this was my mistake!

@Ruth, the ink is darker in wetter pens, but even in a drier pen it's fairly saturated. The scent is a lovely, delicate eucalyptus (similar to eucalyptus oil, if you've ever come across it?) - not overpowering, but whenever I uncap the pen I can smell it. Maybe it's my antipodean upbringing, but I *love* the smell of eucalyptus in the morning - or anytime really!

I think I read in the above review it was eucalyptus scent.

When Mr. Watson introduced these inks here, April 1, in MARKET PLACE, "The Mall," he was very descriptive upon the varying scents each ink was comprised of. Another member, "dcwaites," commented yesterday with a bit more detailed mention of the scent from his bottle.

What they smell like will obviously be a very subjective opinion to each user, but the scents each mention would all be fine with me.

I think I read in the above review it was eucalyptus scent.

When Mr. Watson introduced these inks here, April 1, in MARKET PLACE, "The Mall," he was very descriptive upon the varying scents each ink was comprised of. Another member, "dcwaites," commented yesterday with a bit more detailed mention of the scent from his bottle.

What they smell like will obviously be a very subjective opinion to each user, but the scents each mention would all be fine with me.

I have to admit, I'm not normally all that fussed about ink scents - as long as they're not utterly repellent, I'm happy to put them in my pens! - and I'm keen to try (and buy) *all* of these inks, regardless of odour, given how they look in the promotion post, and how well the 'Colours of Australia' inks flow in my pens. But the eucalyptus aroma that wafts from my pen at the moment, every time I uncap it, is definitely an added bonus!

I have purchased I think 2, scented inks, neither of which did much for me; they weren't offensive but neither were they life changing! I am always amused by posters who argue with other members about their opinion of the same scent; I think some people like different scents in the same way they like different foods, neither is "right nor wrong."

I said when Mr. Watson introduced these scents here, "I would be happy to hold my nose, to enjoy those colors of ink." I am happy to read your & any other opinions about the scent & relieved to know it isn't inclusive of "all the scents that comprise the Bush's smell!" But I am pretty resilient to smells, especially if they are as short in duration as other scented inks are usually.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks to a generous benefactor [you know who you are], I just received a bottle of all of the Scents of Australia line.

Australian Bush, for me, has the most appealing scent. It's not overpowering, but distinct. And just a little bit sweet, it seems. REALLY like it a lot.

I saw that might be just slightly dry, so I added a tiny bit of diluted Photo-Flo, and it works wonderfully in my rather dry Pelikan 100N. Here's a quick image of how it looks on (white?) TR paper:

fpn_1504962955__2017-09-09_091140.jpg

Thanks to a generous benefactor [you know who you are], I just received a bottle of all of the Scents of Australia line.

Australian Bush, for me, has the most appealing scent. It's not overpowering, but distinct. And just a little bit sweet, it seems. REALLY like it a lot.

I saw that might be just slightly dry, so I added a tiny bit of diluted Photo-Flo, and it works wonderfully in my rather dry Pelikan 100N. Here's a quick image of how it looks on (white?) TR paper:

fpn_1504962955__2017-09-09_091140.jpg

I find my sample of AB extremely wet! Maybe too much!

I'm with @LGSoltek - for most pens, I don't think this ink needs any encouragement to flow freely!

I like your picture, though, and the way you represent the colour of the ink - thanks for contributing to the thread.

Edited to add: I just purchased a bottle of Australian Bush last week - I only had a sample bottle previously. I really like the scent of a few of these, but this is probably my favourite: the eucalyptus lollies my wife introduced me to (more than 20 years ago!) smell very similar. Funny how a scent can evoke fond memories and produce a sense of nostalgia...

Edited by Jamerelbe

I find my sample of AB extremely wet! Maybe too much!

I probably misread something somewhere —or perhaps someone mistook this ink for one by Robert Oster. In any event, it flows wonderfully in a pen that can be tricky. I love that little Pelikan 100N, but the nib is slightly scratchy, so the wetter the ink in it, the better it writes... :)

I like your picture, though, and the way you represent the colour of the ink - thanks for contributing to the thread.

Edited to add: I just purchased a bottle of Australian Bush last week - I only had a sample bottle previously. I really like the scent of a few of these, but this is probably my favourite: the eucalyptus lollies my wife introduced me to (more than 20 years ago!) smell very similar. Funny how a scent can evoke fond memories and produce a sense of nostalgia...

So true! If I understand correctly, scent and taste are the most highly connected to deep memories. At least, that's what Proust made the center of a multi-volumed novel... ;)

I probably misread something somewhere —or perhaps someone mistook this ink for one by Robert Oster. In any event, it flows wonderfully in a pen that can be tricky. I love that little Pelikan 100N, but the nib is slightly scratchy, so the wetter the ink in it, the better it writes... :)

Some said Boronia Brown is less wet than the other Blackstones. I haven't noticed that either. Anyway it's flowing perfectly in my pen right now!

Some said Boronia Brown is less wet than the other Blackstones. I haven't noticed that either. Anyway it's flowing perfectly in my pen right now!

Agree with that too - the only Blackstone ink I've had significant flow issues with was the original Uluru (red) - though I understand they've now adjusted the 'formula'.