M 800 Renaissance Brown

jungkind

A MB Mozart w/xf nib, not black. I still have no black fountain pens.

Now that's an interesting choice! Good for you, I bet that's a fun little pen!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• Erik Dalton

• BillH

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's quite alright, I have a feeling I'm subconsciously drawn towards enablers. Makes my decision making process much simpler, you see.

The problem is, I can't go back to my Lamys and Platinums and Pilots after I started using Pelikans. Thus, I no longer have a "work" pen, as I am currently using white and brown tortoises for work - very flashy, very shiny. Getting the brown renaissance would mean I am still without a "work" pen. Stresemann, on the other hand, would be great for the office.

Something tells me I'll end up with both.

I'm afraid you don't quite realize what lies ahead. Say you get the Renaissance, next you will want the Stresemann, but in the M805 size!! And don't forget, they launch another M800 SE in the fall... next year it all starts again. Oh, there are the ones from the past too, and we must have them. Have you seen those Toledos?!

But, don't worry! We will provide support and encouragement on the way to bankruptcy :) .

Yeah and my significant other is nothing but encouraging either. I'm starting to feel like an idiot, because I'm the only one trying to rationalize these purchases, haha.

"rationalize"...?

I don't recognize "rationalize". What is this word of which you speak?

You will find a point where you don't do that anymore, or if you do it will be from the perspective of "this will increase the value of my entire collection".

See that big group of folks up ahead of you? That's us :thumbup:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Heh. How do you guys deal with the lack of ink window, though? That's really the only thing holding me back right now.

LOL, guys like you (Lam1, BillH) are why I have a 10 pen limit to my collection. No matter what comes out or what I'm attracted to, once I hit 10 pens, its going to be a "1 in, 1 out" rule.

Heh. How do you guys deal with the lack of ink window, though? That's really the only thing holding me back right now.

If I'm not mistaken, the Stresemanns have enough translucency that you can still see the ink level. Not sure for the Renaissance Brown. Even if you can't see the level of ink remaining, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make!

LOL, guys like you (Lam1, BillH) are why I have a 10 pen limit to my collection. No matter what comes out or what I'm attracted to, once I hit 10 pens, its going to be a "1 in, 1 out" rule.

Yeah, I have the same rule, no more than 100 pens. Wait! Did you say 10? That's insane!

The striped pens are transparent between the colored stripes. Others like the Vibrant Blue and likely the Renaissance Brown are from a material that's translucent enough to determine at least the level of a dark ink in the pen (haven't tried yellow ink in my Vibrant Blue so far ...)

the cat half awake

and half sleeping on the book

"Quantum Mechanics"

(inspired by a German haiku by Tony Böhle)

Yeah, I have the same rule, no more than 100 pens. Wait! Did you say 10? That's insane!

Lol. Yes, just 10. I find that's more than enough. I have 7 (well, just sold one, so 6--but it will go back to 7 when I take delivery of the M800 Renaissance Brown), so I'm slowing down and thinking very hard about the last few to get. I would love an M600 and a Visconti Homo Sapiens, but slot 10 is wide open...

The striped pens are transparent between the colored stripes. Others like the Vibrant Blue and likely the Renaissance Brown are from a material that's translucent enough to determine at least the level of a dark ink in the pen (haven't tried yellow ink in my Vibrant Blue so far ...)

I suspect the same. I think Renaissance Brown will look very similar to Vibrant Blue, just in a brown/gold material.

You will be able to see light ink in the pen easily. The translucency of Vibrant Blue is quite high. I can somewhat see the ink remaining in the pen without holding it to the light if ambient light is bright enough (like regular office lighting).

On Instagram this morning I notice this little tidbit from pelikan_international

• Coming soon: Renaissance Brown – exciting series in different shades. #pelikan

hmmm...

Edited by BillH

On Instagram this morning I notice this little tidbit from pelikan_international

• Coming soon: Renaissance Brown – exciting series in different shades. #pelikan

hmmm...

What does this mean?? Will there be a series?? Intrigued here...

What does this mean?? Will there be a series?? Intrigued here...

That *is* interesting...I thought the Renaissance Brown was just the natural progression for them in playing with this kind of pattern / style:

2011 M600 Green O' Green

2012 M600 Ruby Red

2014 M600 Vibrant Green

2015 M800 Vibrant Blue

They all have a similar "marbled" appearance in my opinion. But of course, I have never seen any of them in real life, only pictures online. And then the fact that they are mostly M600's...

hmmm...

So, in answer to the question I asked, this morning in Instagram I received this reply

"This SE is available as fountain pen and as ball pen."

That sentence construction is a little clearer than the first one :lol: but not the answer I'd hoped. Think of all the money we'll save now...sigh...

Oh well. They also answered a question about the transparency/ink view issue in the negative. You cannot see the ink through the barrel.

Edited by BillH

So, in answer to the question I asked, this morning in Instagram I received this reply

"This SE is available as fountain pen and as ball pen."

That sentence construction is a little clearer than the first one :lol: but not the answer I'd hoped. Think of all the money we'll save now...sigh...

Oh well. They also answered a question about the transparency/ink view issue in the negative. You cannot see the ink through the barrel.

Nothing like jacking up the hype and anticipation...lol.... So, there is no translucency in this barrel, or ink window. Not a Convenient feature, but then the burnt orange doesn't have one either and i love that pen.

Guess we all just have to wait it out...lol..

I don't know, I see translucence but whatever I don't care it's a cool color. I always have a bottle of ink nearby or I refill before traveling. Order placed.

Edited by Sigismund

...sprang into being, town and garden alike from my cup of tea. - M.Proust

On the official photos the cap material certainly looks translucent similarly to the Vibrant Blue, maybe partially obscured because of darker patches.

the cat half awake

and half sleeping on the book

"Quantum Mechanics"

(inspired by a German haiku by Tony Böhle)

Ink window, who cares?? I grew up using fountain pens, Esterbrooks in jr high, and high school. then a Sheaffer and Parker 51 in college. None had ink windows, just always refilled then nightly and never had a problem.

Regards

Jeff

Me too Jeff... except for the translucent Sheaffer school pens we had in grade school and high school, none of the other pens I've owned had ink windows until I got my first Safari, then my first FrankenPel. Always just kept track of how much I'd written. The '56 Chevy in the garage has a broken gas gauge too but I just write down the mileage :D

Come to think of it, the Ren Brown will be just like the Chevy... beautiful and cool and "who needs a gas gauge anyway?" B)