M 800 Renaissance Brown

jungkind

I just saw that Goulet and The Fountain Pen Hospital are listing the pen for $640. When it arrives in stock.

We paid less. This was a good deal. I'm happy, happy, happy!! Can't wait.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• Erik Dalton

• BillH

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just saw that Goulet and The Fountain Pen Hospital are listing the pen for $640. When it arrives in stock.

We paid less. This was a good deal. I'm happy, happy, happy!! Can't wait.

Wow...that's crazy. I wonder how many they sell at those prices...

Wow...that's crazy. I wonder how many they sell at those prices...

Goulet I would bet not many at all, but FPH will discount so I'm sure they'll move quite a few.

$640 is the standard US pricing. It reflects a built in 20% off list price which is $800 for the Renaissance Brown. I doubt many vendors in the US, including FPH, will be selling for much less due to the way Chartpak controls pricing. The pen sells for $250-300 cheaper from overseas vendors at the expense of domestic warranty support and to the detriment of our US retailers.

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

$640 is the standard US pricing. It reflects a built in 20% off list price which is $800 for the Renaissance Brown. I doubt many vendors in the US, including FPH, will be selling for much less due to the way Chartpak controls pricing. The pen sells for $250-300 cheaper from overseas vendors at the expense of domestic warranty support and to the detriment of our US retailers.

It's not even fair for the US vendors. I know PenChalet.com will do a 10% discount pretty often and even a 15% discount at times, but even at those prices it isn't competitive with overseas. Last I checked, we are in a global economy and it's stupid easy to order whatever you want from anywhere...

It's not even fair for the US vendors. I know PenChalet.com will do a 10% discount pretty often and even a 15% discount at times, but even at those prices it isn't competitive with overseas. Last I checked, we are in a global economy and it's stupid easy to order whatever you want from anywhere...

The pen comanies need to do what the perfume cartels have done...convince the postal service to prohibit shipping fountain pens and inks by air mail.

Depsite the fact that the average commercial air liner has dozens of bottles of perfume in hand luggage (and perfume is sold in duty free shops in airports), it is illegal to send perfume by air mail. This protects vendors in high mark-up jurisdictions from being undercut by those in lower price jurisdictions.

bayesianprior.png

The pen comanies need to do what the perfume cartels have done...convince the postal service to prohibit shipping fountain pens and inks by air mail.

Depsite the fact that the average commercial air liner has dozens of bottles of perfume in hand luggage (and perfume is sold in duty free shops in airports), it is illegal to send perfume by air mail. This protects vendors in high mark-up jurisdictions from being undercut by those in lower price jurisdictions.

I think what the pen companies actually need to do is lower prices in the over-priced areas like the US. I think leveling the playing field makes more sense than lobbying for restrictions on shipping. Or we could just leave everything as is and let the free market sort it out. Customers vote with their wallets after all...

I think what the pen companies actually need to do is lower prices in the over-priced areas like the US. I think leveling the playing field makes more sense than lobbying for restrictions on shipping. Or we could just leave everything as is and let the free market sort it out. Customers vote with their wallets after all...

Agree. My tongue was planted firmly in my cheek in post #106 :)

bayesianprior.png

372 euros equals about 407 US dollars, from La Couronne du Comte. That's a big difference from $640. For the difference and general quality I have always seen from Pelikan I will vote with my wallet and self insure. Our domestic distributor needs to make pricing more competitive for our domestic vendors, it could only help his business.

Regards

Jeff

Agree. My tongue was planted firmly in my cheek in post #106 :)

Oh, LOL. I see it now...haha.

372 euros equals about 407 US dollars, from La Couronne du Comte. That's a big difference from $640. For the difference and general quality I have always seen from Pelikan I will vote with my wallet and self insure. Our domestic distributor needs to make pricing more competitive for our domestic vendors, it could only help his business.

Seriously. And I only paid 354 from Appelboom, so 640 is very nearly DOUBLE the price. How they sell ANY pens with that kind of markup is beyond me. I would really like to give my business to a vendor within the states, but that's just ridiculous.

Seriously. And I only paid 354 from Appelboom, so 640 is very nearly DOUBLE the price. How they sell ANY pens with that kind of markup is beyond me. I would really like to give my business to a vendor within the states, but that's just ridiculous.

I feel the same. I love dealing with our very fine US dealers, but all of my Pelikans (and they are numerous) have been coming from European dealers due to the US Distributor's policies.

Yes, I'm talking about YOU, Chartpak. Can you hear us?

Edited by whichwatch

I feel the same. I love dealing with our very fine US dealers, but all of my Pelikans (and they are numerous) have been coming from European dealers due to the US Distributor's policies.

Yes, I'm talking about YOU, Chartpak. Can you hear us?

I always wondered about this -- do you pay customs or some other kind of import fee when purchasing a pen from Europe and having it shipped to the US?

You can't beat the support and service at Goulet, Fountain Pen Hospital, Anderson pens and other domestic sellers. They work hard for their money and earn every penny. But, my Pelikans, of which I have a lot. Mostly come from Europe and Montblanc from EBay.

Everything else I give to Goulet or FPH. I'm loyal that way.

Lately the Japanese are seriously undercutting Sailor, Pilot and other Domestic prices. I finally got a King of Pens. I thought I read on Goulet that Pilot has a plant in this country. How does that work?

I'm an (pen) addict. I have an excuse. I have cravings, sweats, shakes, and sleepless nights if I can't get my pens.....What's Chartpacks excuse for being greedy?

I'm kind of sorry I opened up this line of discussion. Life is good right now with the strong dollar. I'd hate to give anyone ideas, and have anything kill the goose who laid the golden eggs.

I always wondered about this -- do you pay customs or some other kind of import fee when purchasing a pen from Europe and having it shipped to the US?

The general rule for customs is over $300. You pay customs fee. But it is a hit or miss proposition. The Customs rules seem to leave a lot of discretion to the local customs authorities. You just never know.

Customs fees can be as high as $30-$40 depending on the listed price. I once paid $39 for a $700 pen.

I buy my Pelikans almost exclusively overseas these days. Over a hundred purchases and only 1 instance of a customs fee and that was more related to how it was shipped. It's nothing that I consider when purchasing. Even if you do get hit with a fee, the savings are still signifiant.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Ultimately, Pelikan is to blame. Chartpak is trying to get their money, but it is Pelikan that should have their customers and brand reputation as first priority and either change the distributor or make the distributor change the rules.

But Pelikan is not alone in this. It seems that the phenomenon happens with many brands. The price difference for Montblancs here and in the EU is similar, if not more pronounced than Pelikan's. What about the Japanese pens? Almost nobody buys them here because they routinely cost double or more than ordering from Japan. The only ones I'm not sure are the Italian pens, because I never went after them.

Why they think we should pay more is a complete mystery to me.

The general rule for customs is over $300. You pay customs fee. But it is a hit or miss proposition. The Customs rules seem to leave a lot of discretion to the local customs authorities. You just never know.

Customs fees can be as high as $30-$40 depending on the listed price. I once paid $39 for a $700 pen.

Even after customs fees and use tax (you are declaring and paying those, aren't you? ;) ) it's still so much cheap to order from overseas. Of my 8 (soon to be 9) Pelikans none are from a US dealer, and that honestly makes me a little sad.

When I was young a Norwegian ship docked right behind mine in the Port of Naples, Italy. As was the custom among seamen in those days I went aboard the other ship to understand how it was laid out and how the gear worked. I met a member of the crew about my age, he showed me around and we later hit the town together.

We quickly learned that if I opened my mouth in English first, the price of anything from a street vendor was three times higher than if he spoke first. ( Nobody in Italy speaks Norwegian ).

After that he taught me a few words of Norwegian and I perfected an accent like his. We laughed about it after every encounter as we went from place to place. We never overpaid, the city was ours.

Nothing has changed. That's why pens are more expensive here in the USA, along with Prescription Drugs, Medical fees, the list goes on. For some reason people think we should pay more.

.....And so we find ways around it, when we can.

I think they recently raised the minimum value for custom's fees to $800. Even still, the only times I've been charged any customs duty was when products were shipped by DHL.