New Member With An Objective

CameronB

Cam, what a glorious endeavor! What translation have you decided to use, or will you writing it in Koine Greek or Biblical Hebrew? As a teacher of Scripture, I find this exciting!!! :) With 69 in my collection, I primarily use the NASB for my daily study, along with Interlinears.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CameronB

• amberleadavis

• Helen350

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cam, what a glorious endeavor! What translation have you decided to use, or will you writing it in Koine Greek or Biblical Hebrew? As a teacher of Scripture, I find this exciting!!! :) With 69 in my collection, I primarily use the NASB for my daily study, along with Interlinears.

Helen350,

I'm a fan of several versions. My personal favorite is the '84 NIV. I use NASB and ESV as well as NET (esp for notes).

With regard to my transcribed Bible, I'm still praying, but my current thinking is as follows:

NIV84 as a base

Names of God explicitly written in

if there is an exceedingly complicated translation that is clear in NASB/ESB/KJV or NET, I'll either replace the text with the other version in a version specific color, or insert a duplicate verse to show the base version with an alternate translation in a different color...I don't expect this to happen much.

There are some passages that are retained in Bibles that are known to not exist in the earlier source manuscripts. I will remove these 'additions' and make a related note/comment.

I'm considering clarification in rare cases where he/him occurs in discussions with multiple 'parties' are being discussed...several of these are somewhat difficult to work out which he/him refers to which 'party'...

I also need to figure out some FP artwork to use when I need to adjust for mistakes ... maybe leaves and vines, or some other innocuous artwork instead of leaving a lined through mistake???

Physical attributes:

A2 paper folded into signatures and cut down to ~ 14" tall x 12" wide

Paragraph format. Reduced emphasis on chapter verse.

3" margins on outer edge only

Tomoe River 53gsm

TWSBI ECO fine is my current FP of choice.

still working on inks to utilize

(Noodlers - 54, KTC, Parker Blue-Black & Eel Black are a few in the running...)

should be starting to glue the table top together tonight.

Almost.....

Edited by CamB

Helen350,

I'm a fan of several versions. My personal favorite is the '84 NIV. I use NASB and ESV as well as NET (esp for notes).

With regard to my transcribed Bible, I'm still praying, but my current thinking is as follows:

NIV84 as a base

Names of God explicitly written in

if there is an exceedingly complicated translation that is clear in NASB/ESB/KJV or NET, I'll either replace the text with the other version in a version specific color, or insert a duplicate verse to show the base version with an alternate translation in a different color...I don't expect this to happen much.

There are some passages that are retained in Bibles that are known to not exist in the earlier source manuscripts. I will remove these 'additions' and make a related note/comment.

I'm considering clarification in rare cases where he/him occurs in discussions with multiple 'parties' are being discussed...several of these are somewhat difficult to work out which he/him refers to which 'party'...

I also need to figure out some FP artwork to use when I need to adjust for mistakes ... maybe leaves and vines, or some other innocuous artwork instead of leaving a lined through mistake???

Physical attributes:

A2 paper folded into signatures and cut down to ~ 14" tall x 12" wide

Paragraph format. Reduced emphasis on chapter verse.

3" margins on outer edge only

Tomoe River 53gsm

TWSBI ECO fine is my current FP of choice.

still working on inks to utilize

(Noodlers - 54, KTC, Parker Blue-Black & Eel Black are a few in the running...)

should be starting to glue the table top together tonight.

Almost.....

Sounds like you are going for 'thought for thought' vs. 'word for word'. Either way, this is an awesome endeavor! The Lord's blessings to the scribe. Though I am not partial to black ink, that Eel Black sounds like an excellent choice.

Welcome aboard. Remember, cheers before jeers! :W2FPN:

I think that the project seems great. How about some Parker Quink?

Josh

I second Parker Quink---blue black

I second Parker Quink---blue black

Funny, I didn't add that to my list, but I actually have a very large bottle of Parker Blue-Black that is allocated for this project - I just haven't inked any of my pens to test it out yet ;-)

Cam, welcome to our group. You're one of us now so feel free to jump right in on our discussions.

Quite an interesting project you've begun. Keep us informed as you progress. I'm looking forward to learning from you're experience.

Interesting project.

Layout will be a thing, too, since you mention space for notes on the sides. Do you have a plan to make some sort of a template? You might make your own margins with some very fine pencil markings, which would probably fade out completely over time.

I would second the Kung Te-cheng, it's pretty incredible, read the story sometime if you're not familiar.

That will be a LOT of pages, no matter what you use. Will you break it down into multiple volumes? It seems this project would be much better-suited to a multi-volume set occupying one or two large shelves of a home, much like an old set of encyclopedias.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see some of the prototype pages as you go.

Good luck!

I can stop any time.

-Me

• 4 weeks later...

Two pics of the writing table I have created from a tree...Black Walnut.

post-135968-0-66863200-1499136058_thumb.jpg

post-135968-0-48297800-1499136074_thumb.jpg

One pic of the writing template/frame created from the same Black walnut wood that I have finished, with a osb board backer...

post-135968-0-96202000-1499136276_thumb.jpg

Heavy nylon sewing string used as margins, and the template with drilled holes aligned to the margin space.

Edited by CamB

Two pics of the writing table I have created from a tree...Black Walnut.

attachicon.gifIMG_4895.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4894.JPG

One pic of the writing template/frame created from the same Black walnut wood that I have finished, with a osb board backer...

attachicon.gifIMG_4931.jpg

Heavy nylon sewing string used as margins, and the template with drilled holes aligned to the margin space.

CamB:

What a wonderful job you have done. You are truly a craftsman. This prompted me to search YT to better understand the work of the 'scribe.' Thought this was very interesting. After watching this vid, I realized why a Torah scroll is so expensive.

CamB:

What a wonderful job you have done. You are truly a craftsman. This prompted me to search YT to better understand the work of the 'scribe.' Thought this was very interesting. After watching this vid, I realized why a Torah scroll is so expensive.

That was totally awesome! Thank you for sharing !!

Her message so resonated with my own current experience.

Cam

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just came across this thread, how's the project progressing??

As per my own 2 cents, I would stay away from standard Noodler's Black because some of the ink won't absorb completely and will smear when you run your finger over it (I was horrified to find this out when I used it to sign a Bible I gifted to someone a few years back). By contrast, the notes written with Platinum Carbon Black in my prayer journal which I've been running my fingers over for the past 3 years show no smearing of fading, even if my finger was wet at the time.

You really want to take a look at these waterproof tests:

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/waterproof-fountain-pen-inks/pt/829

I find it fascinating that no black ink they sell qualifies as 100% waterproof according to their standards.

As for Kung Te-Chung, the color is amazing and the ink is immovable once dry, but you may have to perform some chemistry experiments to prevent it from drying out on your nib every few seconds. Noodler's 54th Mass can also dry out on the nib (which is why I gave my bottle away despite loving the color), but it isn't as bad as KTC.

In addition to Platinum Carbon Black, you might want to try out one of the darker inks in the De Atramentis Document line. The Document Dark Blue may due just the trick if you don't want to use black. Those inks are archival so should meet all of your specifications.

And then, if you want to go the real traditional route there's nothing better than ESSRI (check out the endless discussion on here about that ink). It's an iron-gall ink designed to last for centuries on official documents. I imagine your TWSBI F will be wet enough to put down a solid line with it that will turn from bluish-black to black as the ink cures. The only problem is sunlight may cause it to fade, but I don't think you'll be leaving this work open by the window.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this great project!

I've had similar questions before because I am using FPs with permanent inks to annotate a Family Bible I want to pass on.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small