Swatch Cards (Myndology)

LizEF

I found myndology flashcards several months ago at WalMart and thought they'd be good for swatches, so I got a pack. After trying them with several inks, I went back to buy more, and there was only one pack and no place on the shelf for them - so I figured they were gone and wasn't going to mention them, but today I found this:

Myndology flashcards

large.cardsWM.jpg.61db15d38651ba9448a25778301db3df.jpg

There are 75 cards per pack, sized 2 1/8" by 3 5/16" (5.4cm x 8.4cm). They're a bright white, about the thickness of card stock. They're smooth and take ink well. Only my worst-behaved inks showed a little feathering, the only show-through was where I laid the ink on really thick on one card. They show color and shading beautifully. Only one ink has shown sheen (Mont Blanc Leo Tolstoy Sky Blue LE), even though I've got Yama Dori and Robert Oster inks on there (they wanted to sheen, if you know what I mean, but couldn't quite do it).

Here's some of my use over the past several months:

large.swatches.jpg.0fe70479f93d163f64212f1bbc321e8b.jpg

Anywho, I haven't seen them mentioned recently and a search made me think it's been years, so I thought I'd let you know you may find them at your local WalMart (or not). On the back of the pack is a website, but I couldn't find these cards on that site.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• LizEF

• cleosmama

• Inkvisible

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this review. Is there much show-through on the back side of the cards?

No, the only show through was in one place on one card where I laid it on really thick. Otherwise, neither the writing nor the swatches show through. My nibs are all EF, F, and stubs. I do my swatches with the back of the nib rather than with a cotton swab.

• 2 months later...

If you are looking for these flash-cards at Wal-Mart and can't find them, your best bet is to look again starting about a week after the Fourth of July, which is when Wal-Mart starts putting out the school supplies. Seriously.

[Retail "seasons" do not always correspond with real life. Our local Lowe's and Home Depot stores started their "end of summer" clearance sales in mid-June, which is not only before the official first day of summer, but also even before the local schools let out!]

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed these today at my local Wal-Mart...both by the index cards and up front with the school supplies.

• 3 weeks later...

Using the WalMart app, I found these were at my store, no aisle indicated. They also have some with gold designs covers and white paper which is aisle D20 in my store. Aisle D20 was called jewelry for the gold cover cards and office for a larger Myndology.

Thank you for sharing this. I'll have to add them to a list so I remember. Of course, buying online and picking the order up at the store for free is so darn easy.

WalMart online has Pilot Varsity package of pens and the Retro Pop fountain pens. I've held off so far because I have the light green and purple versions plus the white Tiger Pilot.

Posted Image

What are the colored papers in the second photo?

You mean the solid blue, green, red, orange, and yellow cards? Those came in the Myndology cards I got - I use them as dividers so I can more quickly find ink of a particular brand. The red one is at the front of the pack in the first picture - the cover is actually clear, so the red card is what you see. The blue card is at the back, and the other colors are stacked behind the red one.

Thanks Liz. I hope to find these at WalMart next time I go. I tried once to keep track of inks and pen in a Field Notes notebook. I didn't stick with it.

These cards look like a better way to track ink. Less expensive than others on the market.

How's Mr. Hippo doing? Still on the shelf?

Posted Image

How's Mr. Hippo doing? Still on the shelf?

:) Indeed. But summer on the shelf has been boring. I guess I need to figure out an adventure for him before fb threaten to shut down his page.

If I were still on FB, I'd be a fan of Mr. Hippo's page.

Back to Myndology, I noticed on the WalMart app they have some with colorful covers, but colored paper inside. Not for ink testing, but they'd be good for something.

Posted Image

I picked up several Myndology products. Some have colored paper, which won't be for ink cards. One version has lined index cards.

Two of them have the white paper for showing off ink. I think I'll use the reddish cover version for ink.post-48471-0-55841300-1501633823_thumb.jpg

Edited to add that I found a better selection in the Office Supply area of WalMart with standard index cards. The back-to-school area had versions with for example light purple paper then white paper then light purple paper in thirds.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image