First Time Fp User As Of 4/4/17

JustinS

Hello, my name is Justin and I've been a fountain pen user for 2 days.

I'm a Marine Biology graduate student in California and two weeks ago I saw a classmate using fountain pens; we talked about it, I wrote with one for a little, and then I was hooked. The next few days I fell down a deep, dark hole known as YouTube (especially the Goulet Pens channel) while researching fountain pens. Then I made my first order, which arrived yesterday:

post-135871-0-10189300-1491435104_thumb.jpg

Noodler's Black, Jinhao x750s Matte Black and Shimmering Sands with medium nibs, and some ink syringes for mess-free refilling. I figure that I'll either switch out one of the medium nibs for something unique like a flex nib or I'll leave mediums on both pens and use different colored inks in each. So far, I really like the way the x750 writes. Also, I was pleasantly surprised to find that some of the value-priced notebooks I use for school handle the wet x750 nib quite well without feathering, with little ghosting, and with no bleed through. I'm still planning on ordering some fountain pen-specific paper to use for journaling and penmanship practice.

I am still waiting on my second order to ship via Amazon: a blue Lamy Safari EF nib with converter and a green Pilot Metropolitan F nib. It should be arriving by Friday of this week. I can't wait to try them out!

My extensive blog-reading-and-You-Tube-sleuthing mania during the last week guided me in selecting these three pen models as a beginner fountain pen user. I'm not sure what I am looking for in a fountain pen though, so I figured that different pens and different nib sizes was a good place to start. I look forward to this new hobby and all the people, pens, papers, and inks I get to meet along the way.

Nice to meet you all and thanks for stopping by.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JustinS

• ThomasB

• Henricum_Tropen

• Carrau

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Justin and welcome to the fountain pen world. I am really digging that Shimmering Sands finish.

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. I was lucky enough to run an IT department for a school of marine biologists for almost 20 years.

My Website

You done good, Justin, in your choices (both what you have and what you ordered). I started with a Lamy Vista. Then another one. Then another one in another color. I have a couple of Jinhaos, too. And now, well, let's just say it's a diverse lot. Since you have Pilot Metropolitan, you might consider either buying a Pilot Plumix (for about $10.00) and then you can swap the nib when you like for an italic nib. Or you can just buy a Pilot Metropolitan with an Italic nib (JetPens' ad today is selling them for $14.50, if I remember correctly).

But the biggest pleasure for me now is finding inks I like and paper I like to use. Branch out from black, dude. :)

Have fun.

Hi Justin and welcome to the fountain pen world. I am really digging that Shimmering Sands finish.

Thanks! I really like the way it sparkles in the light. Feels pretty cool to write with a fancy looking pen after a life time of disposable ballpoints

You done good, Justin, in your choices (both what you have and what you ordered). I started with a Lamy Vista. Then another one. Then another one in another color. I have a couple of Jinhaos, too. And now, well, let's just say it's a diverse lot. Since you have Pilot Metropolitan, you might consider either buying a Pilot Plumix (for about $10.00) and then you can swap the nib when you like for an italic nib. Or you can just buy a Pilot Metropolitan with an Italic nib (JetPens' ad today is selling them for $14.50, if I remember correctly).

But the biggest pleasure for me now is finding inks I like and paper I like to use. Branch out from black, dude. :)

Have fun.

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into those options.

I bought the black ink because it appealed to me for writing in journals and notebooks. I had planned to get black ink, use it up, and then try a different color. What I didn't realize is that 3oz is a loooot of ink! This bottle will last me much longer than I anticipated; I'll probably end up buying several other colors before my black gets used up. I suppose I had better start thinking about where I'll store my inevitable collection of inks...

Edited by JustinS

Hi Justin,

Looks like you have the right kind of compulsive brain shape. I think you'll fit right in here.

Marine Biology was my first college major choice... I was at Texas A&M, planning to transfer to the Moody campus. I then went through about six other majors before finally committing to following my other passion, to become an English professor.

I'll be interested to hear if you bond more with the Safari or the Metropolitan. Thems fightin' words ya know! (Not really, but it *is* a topic that sparks passion.)

post-133142-0-16208700-1491448743.jpg

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb

Welcome Justin. Looks like you've done a good job of scoping out the fountain pen world. You've acquired a nice selection of the best starter pens. I often binge on YouTube. Don't know what I would do without it..🤔

As far as inks, you can get sample vials of a bunch of inks for far less than the price of your next bottle. You probably saw that at goulet. Also if you want to change your JinHao over to a fine or different nib, the #6 Jowo nibs at goulet run $15 and fit perfectly into your pens. I've done this to many of my JinHao pens. The pens themselves are pretty ruggedly built and will last a long time. It's a cheap way to upgrade your pen.

For taking notes during class you might want an ink that won't wash away all your notes if you spill a glass of water. I would recommend Pilot Blue-Black ink. It's cheap, dries fast, waterproof and not a high maintenance ink. Additionally you can buy coke bottle size bottles of the stuff on Amazon.

Again, welcome aboard. Keep us posted on your fountain pen experience.

Marine Biology was my first college major choice... I was at Texas A&M, planning to transfer to the Moody campus. I then went through about six other majors before finally committing to following my other passion, to become an English professor.

We're more similar on a second pass! My passion for marine biology in undergrad morphed into a passion for science outreach and teaching. Now I teach a couple undergraduate introductory biology classes to pay the bills during grad school and I very much intend to do this for a career; ideally, I'd teach marine biology ( and general biology I suppose) at a local community college.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I appreciate the friendly community here at FPN. I look forward to interacting with you folks more in the future as my fountain pen knowledge (and collection) continues to grow.

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town (South Africa).

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Welcome aboard, Justin. Old Salt has given useful advice. Good luck, and enjoy your newfound vice.

Greetings and a warm welcome !

Retired, twice. Time to do more things, writing being one.

Hello, Justin !

Noodler's Black should hold-up well against sea spray.

The syringe is intended for refilling cartridges. The converter draws through the nib of the pen, with the nib in the ink bottle. Solvents in the ink help to keep the nib and feed clean. The more times you pull the converter, the faster the seal will wear. Of course, Jinhao converters are not expensive.

When I was at sea, I used only cartridges. Refilling from the bottle includes some risk, when the

foundation is not solid.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome to our warm nook of the internet, where you can share this beautiful hobby with good and friendly people. Or as we say in low Saxon: Mooi a'j dr bint! (Good you're here.)

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.